Botswana - Tshaa to Thobolos

Default Botswana - Tshaa to Thobolos

In August this year were looking at a booking at Tshaa followed by one at Thobolos. According to Google Maps its a 204k run and the best estimate I can make off Tracks for Africa maps is 162k and about 4 3/4 hours. I trust Tracks more than Google Maps in this case. Is it doable with an early start? I would have thought that it would need a lot more time than 4 3/4 hrs. Vehicles will be two LR Discos (one towing a trailer) and a Ranger twin cab. Advice would be most appreciated.

Default Re: Botswana - Tshaa to Thobolos

Hi Don,

Don't trust Google Maps in this area. It gives some funny suggestions.

Last June we did a.o. Kachikau-Mogotho via Savuti (with a stopover in Savuti). Mogotho is near Mababe/Tshaa. Kachikau is near Thobolo's.

From my gps (with OpenStreetMap) recordings are the following data:
    Kachikau - Savuti 70 km / 2 1/2 hrs. driving time (partly bad deep sandy road, very bumpy, max 10-20 km/h)
    Savuti - Mogotho 86 km (via Sand Ridge Road) 4 hrs. driving time.

So the 162 km could be correct; driving it in 4 3/4 hrs. is imho impossible. We did not drive specially fast but also not slower than possible without getting very uncomfortable (in sand 'as fast as neccessary and as slow as possible'). We drove 6 1/2 hrs net driving time and you will need time for stops, lunch etc. so I expect the trip will be at least 8 hrs. That is without getting stuck, which cannot be excluded in this route.

I hope this experience helps you.

Vehicle was a LandCruiser 4.2 diesel. Some years earlier we did the same route with a Nissan Patrol 2.5 turbo diesel but the LandCruiser was a lot more capable. Turbo's have the habit of loosing power when getting to lower revs and by the time you've changed gear you are standing still. No trailer with us.

Default Re: Botswana - Tshaa to Thobolos

Hi Hendrikk.

Thanks so much for your reply and for the useful information. We have taken note cf your comments. Regards, Don