All the way to angola and back

Default All the way to angola and back

After seeing a FB advert for a 4x4 trip to Namibia and Angola I got this craze idea to do it by bike , but as a fully loaded bike ( two up ) will be a hand full in the desert and the ( doodsakker) on the coast would be a treacherous piece to navigate , I decide on a different route and final destination ( Lubango )
    so in short my plan , leave home ( Kemptonpark ) head for Botswana , then vai the trans Kalahari highway to Namibia (Windhoek ) then Ruacana , cross another border and then Lubango . Plan is to see the sites for 2 days then head all the way back home , 12-14 day trip .
    Trip date can only be in December , yes I am aware it is HOT , but only time i can close shop, and my holiday time .
    I have just short of a year to plan , did a bit of homework on accommodation in Lubango , really nice places for not big money . Namibia another story , found a Backpacker place in Tsumeb , nice but here lies my problem and if you can help then please do so .
    As it will be a bike tour and I hope I can convince a couple of mad hatters to join me , hope for about 6 bikes for the tour 10-12 people . accommodation fot a goup this size could be a challenge and difficult to book nearly a year in advance .
    Ok that said a comfortable distance is around the 650-700 ks a day , Jhb - Ruacana is 2000ks and Ruacana to Lubango 450 . This gives us 4 days to get to Ruacana , about 500 a day but this mite not work as halfway to Windhoek is Kang in Botswana 700ks and then Windhoek to Ruacana is 750 , means we can do the 700 odd a day and get to Ruacana in 3 have a rest day and then cross the Border To Lubango , spend Xmas and boxing day there and then head back . or have a extra day in Angola to sight see .
    what I need information on is, is suggestions on where to stay , distances from one to another , and take note we have 14 days to do this trip in , just had a look at the calender and we could have a day extra some where , maybe spend a day in Windhoek going up and or spend new year in Windhoek , before the 2 day trek home .
    I did not want to post this in the Namibia section as I think I can get more from this section .
    Thank you in advance for any suggestion and help
    05 TJ SAHARA
    08 3.8 JK ULTD RUBICON

Default Re: All the way to angola and back

Quote Originally Posted by NEON DEON View Post
    After seeing a FB advert for a 4x4 trip to Namibia and Angola I got this craze idea to do it by bike , but as a fully loaded bike ( two up ) will be a hand full in the desert and the ( doodsakker) on the coast would be a treacherous piece to navigate , I decide on a different route and final destination ( Lubango )
    so in short my plan , leave home ( Kemptonpark ) head for Botswana , then vai the trans Kalahari highway to Namibia (Windhoek ) then Ruacana , cross another border and then Lubango . Plan is to see the sites for 2 days then head all the way back home , 12-14 day trip .
    Trip date can only be in December , yes I am aware it is HOT , but only time i can close shop, and my holiday time .
    I have just short of a year to plan , did a bit of homework on accommodation in Lubango , really nice places for not big money . Namibia another story , found a Backpacker place in Tsumeb , nice but here lies my problem and if you can help then please do so .
    As it will be a bike tour and I hope I can convince a couple of mad hatters to join me , hope for about 6 bikes for the tour 10-12 people . accommodation fot a goup this size could be a challenge and difficult to book nearly a year in advance .
    Ok that said a comfortable distance is around the 650-700 ks a day , Jhb - Ruacana is 2000ks and Ruacana to Lubango 450 . This gives us 4 days to get to Ruacana , about 500 a day but this mite not work as halfway to Windhoek is Kang in Botswana 700ks and then Windhoek to Ruacana is 750 , means we can do the 700 odd a day and get to Ruacana in 3 have a rest day and then cross the Border To Lubango , spend Xmas and boxing day there and then head back . or have a extra day in Angola to sight see .
    what I need information on is, is suggestions on where to stay , distances from one to another , and take note we have 14 days to do this trip in , just had a look at the calender and we could have a day extra some where , maybe spend a day in Windhoek going up and or spend new year in Windhoek , before the 2 day trek home .
    I did not want to post this in the Namibia section as I think I can get more from this section .
    Thank you in advance for any suggestion and help
    I do the big distances when I go to recover vehicles. But when I am on leave, I try and stick below 4hrs per day.

On the big hauls I am buggered when I get back. On 4hrs a day there is plenty time for sight see and rest.

"It is all in the journey"
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

I would suggest you rather cross at Oshikango.... Ruacan to tar about 200km, as you do not have a lot of time.Why Lubango? Tundavali & Rio Christo Rei, Lebo PassLubango is a rather large city....can take 1 - 2 hours to ride through, depending on what time of day you pass.Will you only be limited to Lodging or camping also?
    Last edited by 0000ms; 2019/02/11 at 10:26 AM.

We are limited to lodging only , I have seen on google earth that Lubango is a big city , not keen on that but the point of my post , I need / require info to make the decisions related to the trip , Original though was to use Osikango border was was advised that Ruacana is better option and that the road is all tar to Lubango .
    Main objective is to go ride the Sera del lebo pass . I know we are craze but bikers like passes .
    05 TJ SAHARA
    08 3.8 JK ULTD RUBICON

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=10359.0

Here is a trip report of 5 bikers who did south-western Angola in 2007. An epic story ! Although it is 12 years ago, you should get useful info from it. Enjoy, it'll keep you busy for some hours, and cause you to reflect a little on humanity.