Transfer case - check my thinking please.

Default Transfer case - check my thinking please.

2004 3.5l v6 Terracan which I've had for 3 years. Bought it as a one owner, FSH vehicle, both of which were confirmed after chatting to the original owner.

Front diff CADS wasn't working which I fixed: required a pin to connect the CADS actuator to the diff CADS shaft. Works 100%.

Thereafter get a popping sound from the transfer case and kicking in the drivetrain and after knowing that the previous owner spent lots of time on dirt roads, assumed he used 4High on high traction and this probably stretched the chain. After research I went ahead and changed the chain with a HyVo unit. When looking at the original chain, it didn't seem stretched though. I also checked the chain sprockets and they don't look worn either (which would've likely been the case had the chain been jumping).

Re-installed transfer case after chain swop, and popping sound /kicking is only in 4Low (I don't remember if the sound was originally only in 4Low or both 4Low and 4High). It seems to want to pop out of 4Low but the motor holding the selector fork probably pushes it back in (I do suspect that if it was a manual lever it would pop out of 4Low, rather than kick in and out with the accompanying popping sounds).

For those interested, the transfer case is a Borgwarner 4424 ESOF (Electronic Shift On the Fly). These txfr cases came in 2 variants, one being the ESOF and being the TOD (Torque On Demand). The ESOF appears in the Hyundai's and Kia's with the 2H, 4H, 4L selector button. The TOD seems to be the units used in the Terracan Highlanders with permanent 4WD. The chains also differ, with the ESOF being a 1" wide chain and the TOD is a 1.25" chain.

Next steps, and this is where I'd like peer review please: I was thinking of replacing the chain sprockets, but because I'm getting the issue only in 4L, this is unlikely to solve the problem. Worn chain sprockets would present in BOTH 4L and 4H. Instead I'm going to replace the selector fork and the range hub. My feeling is that the range hub is worn, and I'm darned if can understand why I didn't check it properly when I replaced the chain.

This is the only pic I took of the open case. New chain installed:

Name:  20190103_160706-Changed.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  293.8 KB

Default Re: Transfer case - check my thinking please.

I do not have a clue, but to give others a better idea of what you are experiencing: is the popping periodic (and then at what frequency/period) or does it happen in line with the torque demand?
    Pieter
    ------
    2018 Fortuner 2.8 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by BarOne View Post
    I do not have a clue, but to give others a better idea of what you are experiencing: is the popping periodic (and then at what frequency/period) or does it happen in line with the torque demand?
    Periodic and seems to be when under load. I'm going to try going in reverse and if it doesn't pop out then likely range hub. Theory for now.

Shift motor on TC ?
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Shift motor on TC ?
    Will check and respond.

Quote Originally Posted by deanMorris View Post
    Will check and respond.
    Update

4L in forward results in occasional clunking/jumping. 4L in reverse 100%. 4H is 100% either direction.

Suspect range collar worn such that forward is compromised/worn.

Going to replace range collar and selector fork. Original fork is plastic, replacement is aluminium with new plastic slider bushings.

Will update when parts received.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to deanMorris For This Useful Post:

Just an update. I replaced the range collar and the chain but that didn't fix it.

Eventually found that the coil wasn't continually energised (the Terracan uses an electromagnet to hold the range selector in place). Then checked the front actuator and it was working intermittently. Replaced this front actuator, and its all now 100%.

A lot of work for no reason, except that I now know the internals of my Terracan / Pajero clone intimately (yup, the Terracan is very much a Gen 2 Paj underneath.)

Dean

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deanMorris For This Useful Post:

Sounds like you found the pin in the bay stack!
    Pieter
    ------
    2018 Fortuner 2.8 4x4

I was about to tell you to take the shift motor off and manual select 4H and 4L. If the problem then persists it is the box it self.

Have spend many hours on Borg Warner transfer cases. Water enter the shift motor it became stuck or the contacts corrode.
    Typical symptoms is the box kick out of 4H or 4L. The shift module keep pulsing as it does not get the signal telling it 4L or H is fully engaged.

On the SA V8 Ranger I built I designed a selector that manual select the transfer case..
    It is not what you buy its what you build.