Fortuner Timing belt light on after belt replacement

Default Timing belt light on after belt replacement

Hi, the timing belt light came on yesterday on 204 000 km. (2012 Fortuner) It was replaced with a new one on 150 000km and the light reset. I am not aware of any sensors/instruments which can trigger the T-belt light. I opened and inspected the timing belt and everything looks fine.

Does anybody perhaps know what could be the reason for activation? (The timing replacement on 150 000 was done with tensioner)

THanks

Default Re: Timing belt light on after belt replacement

Quote Originally Posted by rauven View Post
    Hi, the timing belt light came on yesterday on 204 000 km. (2012 Fortuner) It was replaced with a new one on 150 000km and the light reset. I am not aware of any sensors/instruments which can trigger the T-belt light. I opened and inspected the timing belt and everything looks fine.

Does anybody perhaps know what could be the reason for activation? (The timing replacement on 150 000 was done with tensioner)

THanks
    When the timing belt is replaced the light is reset to 150 000 ks. Whomever did the reset only set it to 100 000 ks. There is no sensor on the warning indicator. It simply counts down the miles. Simply reset the light to count down the remaining 50 000 ks.

You can do it as follows:

1. Make sure the meter is set to ODO.
    2. Turn off the ignition.
    3. Press and hold the trip reset button and turn on the ignition whilst holding the button.
    4. Hold the button for about 5 to 10 seconds and release.
    5. The number 15 will appear on the display. It would appear that this is the default value.
    6. Now press the button briefly. For every individual press the value will add by 1. Continue pressing until the value 5 appears on the screen. It should go up to 20 and then start at the number 1 again. If you missed it the first time keep pressing until you see 5.
    7. Once the correct value appears you press and hold the button until the ODO display appears again.
    8. The Timing Belt light will go off if you did it correctly.

Every 1 value represents 10 000 kilometers.

Hope you come right.
    Last edited by Mars67; 2019/02/11 at 09:03 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mars67 For This Useful Post:

Quite simple, it seems. Reminds me of the timing belt replacement on my diesel Condor; Buffalo Toyota said it took them longer to reset the counter than it took to replace the belt. Apparently they had to strip the dash to reset it mechanically.

Well, that is what I was told by the service foreman.
    Pieter
    ------
    2018 Fortuner 2.8 4x4

KZTE I think if I remember needs cluster taken out and a screw repositioned.

Quote Originally Posted by sparewheel View Post
    KZTE I think if I remember needs cluster taken out and a screw repositioned.
    Quite correct. The D4D is much easier.