Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 20ltr vs 25ltr plastic jerry can

Whatís your prefence on the jerry can? 25ltr plastic or 20ltr steel? Aaaaaand go!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LemonDrop_fabrication For This Useful Post:

Default Re: 20ltr vs 25ltr plastic jerry can

Quote Originally Posted by LemonDrop_fabrication View Post
    Whatís your prefence on the jerry can? 25ltr plastic or 20ltr steel?
    For fuel? Always steel, never plastic on overland trips.
    Tony Weaver
    2010 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 3.2l diesel
    Previously
    1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line 3.5l V8; 1968 2.25l Land Rover SII; 1969 2.6l SIIA; 1973 2.25l SIII
    1983 Toyota HiLux 2l 4x4

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LemonDrop_fabrication View Post
    Aaaaaand go!
    Aaaaaaand going where?

Ditto on what Tony said.
    Robert van den Berg

'98 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    '02 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

Steel for fuel.
    Plastic for water.
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,
    Making today a great day.
    Nerdy, 2011 Honda Jazz, 1500 Exc

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Disco-Deon For This Useful Post:

Steel for fuel.
    I like the blue steel for water as well.
    But when camping we take two 25liter water cans.

Addis must still invent a cap that does not leak fuel. I gave my 25 litre yellow Addis can away to someone I thought needs a disvafour. He realised why I gave it away, and did the same.

My son bought the same rubbish without telling me. His experience is the same. You cannot carry fuel inside a vehicle in that junk because of the fumes.
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

Quote Originally Posted by Poen View Post
    Addis must still invent a cap that does not leak fuel. I gave my 25 litre yellow Addis can away to someone I thought needs a disvafour. He realised why I gave it away, and did the same.

My son bought the same rubbish without telling me. His experience is the same. You cannot carry fuel inside a vehicle in that junk because of the fumes.
    I don't think there is any kind of Jerry can that is suitable for carrying fuel inside a vehicle, especially not petrol. Fuel should always be outside or on top.

I agree though, high quality steel jerries are the way to go.

Those 55litre red plastic tanks are also a good bet

Interesting , I found some people really like the 25ltr ones. I also found it very strange that there was no carrier for it so I designed one

Quote Originally Posted by RPiet View Post
    I don't think there is any kind of Jerry can that is suitable for carrying fuel inside a vehicle, especially not petrol. Fuel should always be outside or on top.

I agree though, high quality steel jerries are the way to go.

Those 55litre red plastic tanks are also a good bet
    During the early seventies when we had fuel restrictions fuel stations closed at 18:00 on a Friday, and re-opened at 06:00 on Monday. We were allowed to carry 10 extra liters, and all carried fuel in those days.

I bought a 10 liter steel jerry can, half the normal size, and it is till used today, not giving off any vapors.

In those day fuel was mostly carried in 5 liter oil cans, the ones used before plastic.

Nobody carried fuel outside their cars, except Jeeps, Land Rovers, Ford F250 bakkies and Chevrolet C100 bakkies, the only 4x4's available in those days. I think the first Land Cruiser bakkies arrived about that time.
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

Interesting. I have a red plastic 25l one from Midas. You have to screw the lid on really tightly to seal it properly. After this I thought I should have bought the Addis one. Seems they have the same problem.
    Mike Lauterbach

I have one of the red 25 L plastic ones and four of the smaller 10 L ones that I sometimes carry diesel in, and non of them leak.

On trips to the Kaokoland, Damaraland and the Khaudum, where I often carried up to 200 L of extra fuel, I made another plan.....

Regardless of what container you use, empty it into the fuel tank as soon as there is space for it. If you keep at it, any container will eventually leak. Fuel spillage in the vehicle is bad, and on the roof rack you have centre if gravity issues.

Johan
    2011 Daihatsu Terios 4x4
    2018 Isuzu KB300 Double Cab 4x4 Auto

Steel, as my trailer and roof rack brackets all take 20litre steel, also steel is less likely to rub a whole through it.
    Geoff Craig
    '09 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 (M)
    '10 Conqueror Comfort

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Wave For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    Interesting. I have a red plastic 25l one from Midas. You have to screw the lid on really tightly to seal it properly. After this I thought I should have bought the Addis one. Seems they have the same problem.
    I had a 10l Addis that couldn't seal if it's life depended on it, and, one day, it suddenly decided that it was going to develop a pin-hole leak and dump whatever was in it all over my garage floor.
    It got replaced by a Midas cheapy which also struggles to seal, but so far only the smell is escaping.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Land Rover Discovery II V8 Manual
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Try the white plastic ones that marine shops carry. They seal really well and are quite robust

I had a plastic fuel jerry can (exact one below), the little plastic clip to release air while pouring snapped off on a trip and coated the bakkie in diesel.

Name:  silo-MIN_2537574_EAA_large.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  68.2 KB

I will only use steel.
    2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 XLT 4x4

I buy oil in 20L plastic drums. When I go on a trip I just use those drums and fill them with diesel, never had a problem that they leak or rub through.

Quote Originally Posted by J Snyman View Post
    I have one of the red 25 L plastic ones and four of the smaller 10 L ones that I sometimes carry diesel in, and non of them leak.

On trips to the Kaokoland, Damaraland and the Khaudum, where I often carried up to 200 L of extra fuel, I made another plan.....

Regardless of what container you use, empty it into the fuel tank as soon as there is space for it. If you keep at it, any container will eventually leak. Fuel spillage in the vehicle is bad, and on the roof rack you have centre if gravity issues.

Johan
    A proper metal Jerry can will not leak unless the seal perishes. I keep a pack of seals in the glovebox and replace all seals every second year as preventative maintenance. There are two jerry cans full of diesel permanently mounted on my vehicle and never had a leak from either.

Plastic fuel cans will leak and physically deteriorate over time. They also do not handle abuse well, besides which they are no longer cheap either so why there is still a market for them I don't know.

If you have the choice, always buy metal jerry cans. Looked after they will last a very, very long time.
    Brandt Theunissen
    2019 Toyota Raider 2.8 GD-6 4X4 A/T S/C
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

Quote Originally Posted by RPiet View Post
    On a number of occasions - Malawi, Namibia, rural Transkei - I have carried between 1 to 3 half-jack jerry cans of petrol under the boot floor. It is cool enough there for the fuel not to expand to the point where it vents into the car. The once when it leaked, it was not the O-ring, but the two curved hooks which guide the cap into the closed position. Once I spotted that, it was an easy fix.

Just in case, I always carry a sachet of Stasoft on top of the parcel shelf when carrying fuel inside. The score is always 1-0 in favour of the softener.
    If my post insulted you, wonder where the smiley went .

Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5
    180kW/350Nm (1500 - 4800 rpm)

With the steel cans, I always duct tape the lids closed as extra protection, especially when they are on the roof and prone to getting hooked on low hanging trees.

But I suspect the OP's original question was not related to the merits and demerits of plastic, but to whether or not there is a market for a carrier designed to hold the 25 litre plastic cans, and yes, there is, provided they are used for water.
    Tony Weaver
    2010 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 3.2l diesel
    Previously
    1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line 3.5l V8; 1968 2.25l Land Rover SII; 1969 2.6l SIIA; 1973 2.25l SIII
    1983 Toyota HiLux 2l 4x4

"Regardless of what container you use, empty it into the fuel tank as soon as there is space for it. If you keep at it, any container will eventually leak. Fuel spillage in the vehicle is bad, and on the roof rack you have centre if gravity issues." Johan

The big problem with petrol in plastic containers is, static electricity. as you drive the petrol shakes around and a static charge builds up, a charge that can't go anywhere, but build up and waits for that opportunity to jump across to something....... As you pour the fuel out, a spark can jump across from the fuel to the vehicle and start a fire, you then drop the container and you have a big spillage of petrol burning under your 4x4.

Petrol must always be siphoned out. As soon as there is space in your tank, more than what's in the container. So you mt a container at a time, don't try transfer and full the tank, mt a container at a time. Leave container strapped to roof take a long clear hose from the container into your tank, (far as possible into tank, a spark will do nothing inside the tank as the environment is too rich to burn) then take a second clean hose, seal container with cloth and gently blow into pipe into container. fuel flows from container to tank no fuss- no moving - no carrying containers - zero spillage - zero fire - zero back problems.

Diesel is safe to carry in a plastic container, BUT DON'T a diesel spillage is the worst thing on a trip, diesel gets into everything and I mean everything and impossible to clean up.

Plastic is for water only.
    Last edited by K-9; 2019/02/19 at 11:36 AM.
    Current off-road vehicles: *** Great family accommodation. See Facebook, Google maps and airbnb. Mkulu Kei at Wild Wind Ranch
    * 1975/8 SHREK LAND-CRUISER FJ40 DIESEL P/U, BFG 31x10.5 muds. 1.6 ton tirfor winchs
    * 1994 LAND-CRUISER J70 DIESEL P/U, my truck recovery vehicle. 15000 warn winch. And 3.5ton tirfor winch. Back full of appropriate sized recovery gear. BFG31x10.5 muds
    * 2014 LAND-CRUISER LX V8 76 DIESEL STATION WAGON, BFG's 285 all terrain.

* 2011 HILUX 4X4 P/U, BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 1999 PAJERO 3.5 V6 Mitsubishi (sorry not a Toyota), BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 2006 FORD ranger 2.5 diesel. 4x4, (what was I thinking, also not a Toyota!) I have a spare 5000 warn winch I might fit.
    * 2011 ISUZU bakkie 4x4
    * MERCEDES UNIMOG U416. 20x12.5 MUD tractor tyres
    * FIONA - Rhino Yamaha 660 4x4. Warn winch. Mud tyres
    * 4x4 trailer, 1987, BFG all terrain
    * GSA 1200 BMW ADVENTURE LC 2018, the closest motorbike to a land cruiser. And a Honda 200
    * A Massey Fergusson 375 tractor. And a John Deere E140 2020 tractor

26. The Following User Says Thank You to K-9 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast