Botswana August holiday

Default Botswana August holiday

Good morning. My wife and I plus another two couples are presently planning a three week camping holiday in Botswana in August this year. One couple will be driving a twin cab Ranger and sleeping in a ground tent, the other a Disco4 with a rooftop tent and I drive a Disco 3 and will be towing a Skipper LT trailer. The trailer has 14” wheels, a ground clearance of 300mm under the axle and a track almost identical to the Land Rover. We are getting close to firming up on the itinerary and camp sites so soon will have to pay deposits to secure arrangements.
    There are a couple of areas where advice and or comments would be appreciated. Regarding diesel availability I understand that Lethakane, Maun and Kasane can be relied upon but what about Mopipi and Rakops and is there anywhere around Mababe that can be relied upon?
    Then regarding off-road driving with the above vehicles in August there are three roads which might prove “interesting” and here too I’d really appreciate comments from people who know these roads. Firstly there is the 46k’s up to Lekhubu (Kubu) Island when approaching from the south. Then there is the 40k’s to South Camp, Nxai Pan also when approaching from the A3 in the south. Lastly, we are probably staying at Tshaa (a short distance south of Mababe) for a few nights followed by a few nights at Thobolo’s Camp, a short distance south west from Kachikau. This will mean traveling up through Mababe and Savuti, a distance af about 160k’s, most of which I understand to be sand tracks. Advice on these roads would really be appreciated.
    Sadly, we’ve left our planning a little late and all accommodation within Moremi and Chobe is evidently fully booked so we will have to do day trips into the reserves. Does Botswana offer anything similar to the South African Wild Cards? Additionally, comments would be appreciated on Tshaa and Thobolo’s if there is anyone out there who has experienced them. We will be a party ranging in ages from 65 to 80 and whilst we can all rough it if need be, warm showers and a reasonably clean drop toilets would be most welcome. Also, how convenient are those two locations for game viewing/drives?
    Looking forward to hearing from knowledgeable folk.
    Regards, Don

Default Re: Botswana August holiday

All I can say is don't waste all that time and money driving so far and not spending a few nights in Moremi. Rather wait till 2020 and plan it properly with all the nice camp sites included.

Quote Originally Posted by Don P View Post
    There are a couple of areas where advice and or comments would be appreciated. Regarding diesel availability I understand that Lethakane, Maun and Kasane can be relied upon but what about Mopipi and Rakops and is there anywhere around Mababe that can be relied upon?

No fuel station in Mopipi. Rakops seems mostly reliable these days

Then regarding off-road driving with the above vehicles in August there are three roads which might prove “interesting” and here too I’d really appreciate comments from people who know these roads. Firstly there is the 46k’s up to Lekhubu (Kubu) Island when approaching from the south. Then there is the 40k’s to South Camp, Nxai Pan also when approaching from the A3 in the south.

Track to Nxai pan is always challenging. Thick, thick sand, diverging tracks, deep holes when just have a bit of momentum, corrugations. Hope hope the trailer has a strong suspension.

Thobolo’s Camp, a short distance south west from Kachikau. This will mean traveling up through Mababe and Savuti, a distance af about 160k’s, most of which I understand to be sand tracks.

Hell of a drive for one day is all I can say. Count on about 8 hours travel time.

Does Botswana offer anything similar to the South African Wild Cards?
    Nope
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Thanks WayneMan and Lekhubu 943 for your replies and comments. Hmmmmm, me thinks.
    Any other input?