Prado 120 gear selector pin popping out - fix

Default Prado 120 gear selector pin popping out - fix

Hi all

Thoroughly enjoying my 120 and so is the lighty

Next post will walk you through what this thread is about...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Prado 120 gear selector pin popping out - fix

So my issue is that the gear selector doesn't stick in 4 or L and it will spring back from 4 to D or from L to 2. The 4 speed boxes have a similar issue, except they spring from 3 to D. Under the gear selector housing there is a pin which pushes up on the roof of the housing to create some friction and keep the gear lever in its place.

See link below where some Aussies already sorted out this issue;
    https://www.pradopoint.com.au/forum/...ver-repair-kit
    If the link eventually gets deleted or the pics there are no longer available, I have found a PDF detailing the same instructions. I have attached the first pic from the link showing the new pin and spring that the Aussies made.

The original pin is 23mm long and 6mm in diameter and the original spring is 30mm long and 6mm in diameter
    I am going to see what spring I can source locally and then get a new pin made up. I will be doing the same for a friend with a Prado with a 4 speed box so the solution should fit both models
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pin and spring.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	177.9 KB 
ID:	518570  
    Attached Files Attached Files

So to start off, the silver trim on the sides came off relatively easily. Just stick a credit card under the trim towards the back and lift gently. Once the back clips come out you can slowly work forwards and the trim pops out nice and easily. In this whole process I didn't have to force anything

Next step was to screw off the gear knobs and unzip the sleeve over the handbrake

Open the centre console and gently lift up by the cup holders...there is a little white plug underneath which has a release pin near my thumb in the pic. The release pin faces the passenger seat. Push it in and the plug comes out easily. Again, no need to force anything

I managed to find my pin (it had rolled back to the back of the housing). When putting the pin in and replacing the little square plastic roof of the housing, keep the gear selector in Neutral as this is where the pin is facing up. Otherwise the pin will pop out almost immediately and you will start getting frustrated!

The original spring is quite stiff and I don't see why it needs to be so stiff. I am going to source a shorter spring and then get a new pin fabricated so that I keep the same overall length. I did try a few times to put it back together and the pin popped out too easily and also felt that there was too much friction from the pin. I checked the sleeve that the pin seats in and there is nothing wrong with it but the pin only seats about 5mm deep.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190202_085956.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	282.0 KB 
ID:	518575   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190202_090040.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	302.7 KB 
ID:	518576   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190202_090116.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	309.4 KB 
ID:	518577   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190202_090211.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	271.7 KB 
ID:	518578   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190202_090717.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	218.9 KB 
ID:	518579   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190202_090833.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	292.4 KB 
ID:	518580   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190202_131612.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	209.6 KB 
ID:	518581  

So I managed to have a longer pin fabricated. The new pin is 33mm long. I also sourced a shorter spring with a lower stiffness as it does not need that much force to hold the gear lever in place. All fitted and working 100% actually quite an easy fix

Tintin do you mind posting the exact diemnsions and maybe photos of the pin and spring?

Thanks
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    Tintin do you mind posting the exact diemnsions and maybe photos of the pin and spring?

Thanks
    Hi Francois

I will be helping a friend with a Prado this evening so will try take some more pics and post them.

The diameter of the pin remains unchanged (I think it was about 5.86mm with a vernier). The original overall length of the pin and spring is 53mm. So long as you make the pin at least 7-10mm longer and then find a spring to suit that then it should work fine. My spring was also not as stiff as there is less distance that it can travel because of the longer pin, so I say once you have a pin then it's a good idea to have a few springs to play with as you are not going to get an exact spring manufactured. That being said, there was not a huge selection of 6mm compression springs for me to choose from. If I had a pin fabricated then I would be able to give a spec for that too

Hi again

So the only pic I managed to snap yesterday was of the pins before we installed them. We were talking too much and got distracted....

In the attached pic you can see the old pin and spring on the bottom with the new pin and a selection of springs on the top. We ended up using the very top spring, which actually comes from a pen and it works, although it is a little soft and I suggested that my friend takes a piece of the second from the top spring and put it in there to just add a little bit more spring force on the pin

Hope this helps
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by tintin_85; 2019/02/20 at 08:11 AM.

Perfect timing! Our Prado just had this happen, I'll do the fix.