Buying Binoculars - Page 2





Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 47
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Iqaluit
    Age
    63
    Posts
    343

    Default Re: Buying Binoculars

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon93 View Post
    Where would I go to get this done? I don't know what brand they are as the markings have worn off. Would they polish/service the glass as well inside?
    I had my binoculars and scope serviced by Safari and Outdoor in Stellenbosch. They sent it to someone in Pretoria who not only cleaned the binoculars but also realigned the elements to make the binos sharp again. It took about a month and cost R700+ for two pairs of binoculars and a scope.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Iqaluit
    Age
    63
    Posts
    343

    Default Buying Binoculars

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon93 View Post
    Wow thanks for that info, didn't realize how useful they could be. I will have to try one in the future.
    Here is a photograph of twitchers with their scopes and sturdy tripods. Angled scopes make for easy viewing and is not as tough on your back as is a straight scope.Name:  IMG_3540.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  88.9 KB
    Last edited by Sam16; 2019/03/21 at 04:19 PM.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Iqaluit
    Age
    63
    Posts
    343

    Default Re: Buying Binoculars

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam16 View Post
    Here is a photograph of twitchers with their scopes and sturdy tripods. Angled tripods makes for easy viewing and is not as tough on your back as is a straight scope.Name:  IMG_3540.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  88.9 KB
    The photograph was copied from a SA Rare Bird Report email.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    35
    Posts
    723

    Default Re: Buying Binoculars

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon93 View Post
    Where would I go to get this done? I don't know what brand they are as the markings have worn off. Would they polish/service the glass as well inside?
    I took mine to Radiolens in Lynwood in Pretoria, as I say it cost me R350, he cleaned and aligned the prisms and lenses that had gotten loose and moved.
    Our Travel and Photography blog- https://twotracks.co.za

    The Beast - 2005 Toyota Hilux D/C 4L with freeflow

    Daily Drive- Girlfriends Honda Jazz

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Honeydew
    Age
    52
    Posts
    58

    Default Re: Buying Binoculars

    I have Steiner binoculars and I am very happy with them.
    Only problem is that I ordered a new pair of front lens caps on 13th November and I am still waiting for them to arrive at the agents (Singer Photo)

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,716

    Default Re: Buying Binoculars

    I have Bushnell auto focus binoculars that I really love. Wish I knew how the auto focus works, all I know is that it does work
    Defender 2.8i

    People talking without speaking
    People hearing without listening

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    55
    Posts
    2,304

    Default Re: Buying Binoculars

    Going over 8x magnification look at Canons IS binoculars. They work great.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Iqaluit
    Age
    63
    Posts
    343

    Default Re: Buying Binoculars

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam16 View Post
    Here is a photograph of twitchers with their scopes and sturdy tripods. Angled tripods makes for easy viewing and is not as tough on your back as is a straight scope.Name:  IMG_3540.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  88.9 KB
    It should read “angled scopes” and not “angled tripods”!

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Gladstone, QLD
    Age
    31
    Posts
    845

    Default Re: Buying Binoculars

    .
    Last edited by SuzukiPiet; 2019/07/02 at 08:48 AM.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Umhlanga
    Age
    53
    Posts
    196

    Default Re: Buying Binoculars

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon93 View Post
    Hi there!

    My trusty pair of binocs seem to be going out, this past weekend the left side has gone out of focus and no amount of tinkering has fixed it (they are quite old however). They are 7x50's and I use them exclusively for birding. Now having had these passed down to me and being a brilliant pair I've never been in the market for binoculars, so I feel a bit lost trying to shop around. One thing that shocked me is that you can pay up to R40k for a pair I love my birding but not that much
    So I'm asking, what is a good pair to buy in 2019? let's cap the budget at about R5000...although I'd prefer it to be less I don't want something disposable, hopefully it can last me for another 20 years. Not sure if that budget is silly low but like I said I have no idea what is the standard.

    I saw the Nikon Aculon 12x50 A211 for sale at outdoorphoto. They look fairly decent, any opinions will be greatly appreciated
    Take a moment and go check out this site.
    I have dealt with them previously, and the owner & staff give great service and advice. Cameratek

    https://cameratek.co.za/collections/all-binoculars
    I met some crazy people.... They made me their leader.

    2014 Mazda BT-50 - Recently bought. March 2018
    2013 Nissan NP300 - Daily workhorse
    1993 Ford Courier 2.2... Odometer stopped working just over 530'000 km's. Sold 2013
    69' Series 2 Landi - Old, slow, thirsty. Go anywhere. Stolen in 2010

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1

    Default Re: Buying Binoculars

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon93 View Post
    Hi there!

    My trusty pair of binocs seem to be going out, this past weekend the left side has gone out of focus and no amount of tinkering has fixed it (they are quite old however). They are 7x50's and I use them exclusively for birding. Now having had these passed down to me and being a brilliant pair I've never been in the market for binoculars, so I feel a bit lost trying to shop around. One thing that shocked me is that you can pay up to R40k for a pair I love my birding but not that much
    So I'm asking, what is a good pair to buy in 2019? let's cap the budget at about R5000...although I'd prefer it to be less I don't want something disposable, hopefully it can last me for another 20 years. Not sure if that budget is silly low but like I said I have no idea what is the standard.

    I saw the Nikon Aculon 12x50 A211 for sale at outdoorphoto. They look fairly decent, any opinions will be greatly appreciated
    I can relate to your situation, I've had an idea of what type of binoculars I wanted but with so many options available today, it's easy to get lost. I've read an article that has a list of 10 binoculars and one of them was the Celestron Granite binocular (https://www.pointoptics.com/best-binoculars/). This particular one is a perfect match for bird watching and I think that you might like it.

    I hope that you'll be able to make a decision. Many thanks
    Last edited by JohnSteeds; 2019/07/02 at 08:48 AM.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    TOO FAR FROM THE BEATEN TRACK
    Age
    51
    Posts
    90

    Default Re: Buying Binoculars

    Look at Vortex.
    Life Long Guarantee no nonsense no questions.
    Don't let schooling interfere with your education.
    Mark Twain

    2012 SUZUKI GRAND VITARA
    EFS, 4X4 DIRECT SNORKEL, 5 X 225/70R17 MAXXIS 980
    FUTURE - ROOF RACK or METALIAN MINI IN TOW

  13. #33
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    33
    Posts
    999

    Default Re: Buying Binoculars

    Quote Originally Posted by albertvl View Post
    I have Bushnell auto focus binoculars that I really love. Wish I knew how the auto focus works, all I know is that it does work

    I must say. For our general game watching these auto focus binos are awesome... My wife has a Navstar autofocus and that thing is superb. Saw the Bushnell ones on takealot one day. I am so furious with myself that I did not buy them.

    But alas they are apparently for amateurs I hear...
    "Grent" Vitara
    EX- EL JIMBO - RED AND "FAST" 8)

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,716

    Default Re: Buying Binoculars

    Quote Originally Posted by New View Post
    I must say. For our general game watching these auto focus binos are awesome... My wife has a Navstar autofocus and that thing is superb. Saw the Bushnell ones on takealot one day. I am so furious with myself that I did not buy them.

    But alas they are apparently for amateurs I hear...
    As I am an amateur I wouldn't really know the difference
    Defender 2.8i

    People talking without speaking
    People hearing without listening

  15. #35
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Plettenberg bay
    Posts
    735

    Default Re: Buying Binoculars

    Quote Originally Posted by punimog View Post
    Look at Vortex.
    Life Long Guarantee no nonsense no questions.
    Agree - have a Vortex Talon in 8 x 42 very high quality and great for birding and game viewing
    Last edited by royboy; 2019/07/02 at 11:52 AM.
    Range Rover Sport HSE
    MGB GT
    Mercedes Benz C200 (SWAMBO)


    I try to be the person my dogs thought I was....

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Jhb
    Age
    74
    Posts
    451

    Default Re: Buying Binoculars

    For birding I would suggest 10 x magnification. A 12 x is more difficult to keep steady.
    A 10 x 25 is more portable when you are on a long walk.
    A 10 x 50 is bulky and heavier.
    10 x 35 a very good compromise.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Senekal
    Age
    52
    Posts
    247

    Default Re: Buying Binoculars

    Good reference for prices
    http://shop.technopro.co.za/binoculars-c-193_29/

    Worldwide old time favourite general use for birds and game - Nikon Monarch 5 8x42 or 10x42 fairly good eye relief for spectacles wearers .

    Best prices with stock I could found R5400/ R5600
    https://www.digitalexperience.co.za/...x42-monarch-5/ at Fourways Crossing

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wartburg.
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,868

    Default Re: Buying Binoculars

    Quote Originally Posted by RonS View Post
    For birding I would suggest 10 x magnification. A 12 x is more difficult to keep steady.
    A 10 x 25 is more portable when you are on a long walk.
    A 10 x 50 is bulky and heavier.
    10 x 35 a very good compromise.
    Good advise Ron.

    Try the Lynx http://www.lynx.co.za/catalog/binocu...ynx-series-46/

    10 x 42

    They are some of the best binos you will ever own, and the back up service is great!

    Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Harties
    Posts
    1,293

    Default Re: Buying Binoculars

    Nikon Monarch 10x42 - forever.
    If you make a noise or need music in the bush or on the beach, you’re missing the point.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    63
    Posts
    10,099

    Default Re: Buying Binoculars

    Definitely Nikon Monarch, but I would go for the 8x42 - 10x are great, but if you have the slightest hand shake, it will be picked up quite noticeably. The Aculons are the slightly downmarket version of the Monarchs, good glass, but AFAIK showerproof, not waterproof, and not as rugged as the Monarchs.
    Tony Weaver

    1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

    Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •