Tow balls kill - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Tow balls kill

Default Re: Tow balls kill

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    My own breakages in most cases had wheels spinning and then they find sudden grip.
    Thats is clear, but in my case I am not sure if the stuck vehicle was in gear or not, or clutch engaged etc. Maybe the situation was too intimidated for the driver. She was suppose to help a bit. I did the pulling, forward, but the stuck vehicle had to be pulled in reverse. Front diff of the stuck cruiser stripped.
    Last edited by JLK; 2019/02/10 at 04:45 PM.
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

Morning all, I had a friend who bought a brand new Pajero with factory fitted tow bar. she was towing her 2 horses about 15 years ago back from a show and while she was going down hill the tow hitch broke off. 2 of her horses had to be put down. The tow hitch was found to be faulty and she was paid out by Pajero.

I assume she was paid out by Mitsubishi, not Pajero.

The Pajero tow bar should be mounted with 4 bolts per side (8 in total) and those should be the proper rated bolts.

A lot of guys report that they only have two each side and this is most likely the case in the incident mentioned above.
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

I just went and helped a friend out at Millers Point in Simons Town. He just had a new towhook fitted to his Subaru SUV and when attempting to tow his boat out the water the tow hook collapsed (dropped). After towing the boat home in my bakkie we inspected the hook and saw that it was missing a bolt, either the bolt wasn’t tightened and vibrated loose in the week after fitting or they forgot to fit it.
    Either way if that had happened far from town it could have been a serious issue.

Best to get under your cars and check these things out when any work is done.
    Last edited by Walnut; 2019/02/12 at 12:08 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Walnut For This Useful Post:

I think we use recovery to loosely.

I recovered a friend stuck with a Ranger and used his tow hitch. He was not very stuck we had stopped him from digging deep holes. I did not snatch just another 4 wheels that had traction helping the four that did not. He came out smoothly without any jerks. I would not have snatched on his tow hitch.

You should not snatch on a tow ball.

ALso trying to use a tow line and jerk him out while not snatching would also be adding shock loads to system that mobody had allowed for when calculating the strength of the parts in question as well as the bolts holding it on.

Don't jerk on a tow ball.

Yes you can tow somebody out using his tow ball - if it is in good condition.

2012 Disco 4 SDV6 HSE - Amazingly competent
    2014 Crosspolo 1.2TSI - General runabout
    2011 KTM 990 Adventure - The classic can do bike
    Sadly sold: 2004 Disco 2 V8 - My beach cottage no more
    Finally retired: 2006 Volvo XC70 - Swambo's platkar that could

A vehicle can not generate enough traction, even on tar, to break a towball. The only way to break it is to build kinetic energy (runup) and release it in a short time (snatch or tug).

People tow over 2 tonne caravans through bumps and potholes on factory towballs without breaking.

A hitch like this has a rated D value of around 17KN (roughly the same as a 25mm pin hitch) - https://www.bradleydoublelock.co.uk/...ley-Towing.pdf

Practically that means if you were to bolt it to mid air, you shouldn't hang more than 1.7 tons from it.

On top of that, practically it's way more due to the huge safety margins.

I wonder if we attach a strain guage what force will be involved when just pulling someone?

For the engineers - decipher some great info attached
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MariusFourie; 2019/02/12 at 04:03 PM.

It is nice to see how this debate has matured over the years!!

I find the "hype"that has people doing hissy fits over someone putting a loop over their tow hitch is related to these things the Australians insist in using to tow things with. The typical South African goose neck is not in the same class... I will eat my words if anyone can show me pictures of a cast gooseneck breaking during a recovery, I will also eat words if the bolts holding goose neck on failed.

One of the key problems i see during a recovery is you have a recoverer and a recoveree. Both have an equal possibility of something failing and equal responsibility. I am often very nervous about recovering someone, especially someone I do not know well.

So you approach the stuck person and help out. You have no idea the condition of his recovery points, how his fancy steel bumper is attached to the chassis. When he offers (as is customary if you are being recovered) to use his recovery strap and shackles. You really have no idea what you are getting yourself into... indeed I only know my vehicle well enough after a few years to be really sure of its weaknesses. The same goes for being recovered... this is worse as the good Samaritan may be the only person willing/ in the area. I am not one to turn down a helping hand. I remember a now very distinguished member of this forum in the very early days pulling out an old firehose to use as a tow rope!! We are all a lot wiser now, but alas some of us aren't.

So often I have been more than happy to loop a rope over a bosal towhook. Rather than some homemade recover hook, or a coastal rusted steel bumper. Or as is often the case... fumbling around under some strange vehicle only to discover it has no recovery point... not even a tow hook (bakkies!!) in which case the rear leaf spring mount will have to suffice.

So if you are seriously offroading it is your duty to yourself and the guy you will recover or will be recovering you to have the correctly rated equipment and recovery points in good order!!!!
    Talk softly, carry a big stick.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Biggles For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5