Ford & Mazda Is a Bakkie for me

Default Is a Bakkie for me

Having driven an SUV for the past 8 years am about to switch to a Ranger from a Land Rover discovery 4? Is this reasonable? D4 is now out of motor plan and I need an everyday car and holiday car and thought why not a Bakkie this time around. Those who have made the switch either way how is life like on the other side. Do you miss your previous Bakkie or SUV?

Current
    2007 Disco 3 V8 HSE
    2005 Jeep Cherokee Limited (Swambo)

Past
    Toyota Hilux D/C 2,7
    Volvo S40

Default Re: Is a Bakkie for me

I think you'll be very frustrated coming from a D4. You will have muuuch less power, less comfortable and interior a lot less appealing. The only plus I can see is the packing space and im assuming that it would be new (with maintenance plan).
    Current: Toyota FJ Sport Cruiser

Previous: VW Amarok ULTIMATE 4motion (auto)
    Previous: Amarok 4motion (MT) with a few goodies
    Previous: Isuzu KB300 Dteq 4x4 not that many goodies
    Prevous: Isuzu KB360 4x4 with a few goodies

Switched from extended cab to double cab to SUV. I can't see myself buying a bakkie again. Bakkies have no packing space inside when carrying passengers, canopies and load covers are either not secure, or block your driving view, or are not watertight. I know some might be happy with those compromises, but I am not.

For me, the only reason to get a bakkie would be to add a camper, or if refuse trailers were outlawed.
    Office Johnny

2008 Triton CC 3.5V6 4x2 - Sold
    2007 Triton DC 2.5DiD 4x4 - Sold
    2007 Pajero GLS 3.2DiD - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by petermoffat View Post
    Switched from extended cab to double cab to SUV. I can't see myself buying a bakkie again. Bakkies have no packing space inside when carrying passengers, canopies and load covers are either not secure, or block your driving view, or are not watertight. I know some might be happy with those compromises, but I am not.

For me, the only reason to get a bakkie would be to add a camper, or if refuse trailers were outlawed.
    I agree with you, apart from the load cover security. My securi-lid is completely water tight and as the name says... Very secure. I lost my keys a while back, and it took the professionals 35min to get it unlocked even after the lock was drilled.
    Current: Toyota FJ Sport Cruiser

Previous: VW Amarok ULTIMATE 4motion (auto)
    Previous: Amarok 4motion (MT) with a few goodies
    Previous: Isuzu KB300 Dteq 4x4 not that many goodies
    Prevous: Isuzu KB360 4x4 with a few goodies

Quote Originally Posted by Munykan View Post
    Having driven an SUV for the past 8 years am about to switch to a Ranger from a Land Rover discovery 4? Is this reasonable? D4 is now out of motor plan and I need an everyday car and holiday car and thought why not a Bakkie this time around. Those who have made the switch either way how is life like on the other side. Do you miss your previous Bakkie or SUV?
    Although the new bakkies is very far away from those a few years ago it will still be an adjustment. Both type of vehicles have their pros and cons and various people will root for the type they love the most. We had both types and for myself the compromise on the bakkie was less than with the SUV. SO You need to decide if YOU can live with the compromise.
    Renault Duster 1.5Dci 4WD

I tried it.
    After 30 years in SUVs, I bought a new D/C bakkie. A year later I was back in a new SUV.
    Needles to say, this is my personal preferences, needs and likes. I don't think a new SUV is a place to forget your fish bait.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RoelfleRoux For This Useful Post:

We use my shorty for holidays, Hilux 4x4 DC's for fieldwork. The dust most canopies let in even on short gravel trips is TERRIBLE. I also find it a nuisance to retrieve items that moved forward right up against the cab; even at 20 I found this irritating. If you don't really need a bakkie, I'd say SUV all the way.
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D