Dome tent - Replace shade cloth door zipper with velcro?

Default Dome tent - Replace shade cloth door zipper with velcro?

Good or bad idea? The zipper on my Howling Moon dome tent shade cloth door has failed and despite my efforts I haven't been able to fix it. I think the reason for the failure (it separates) is due to the pressure the zip is under keeping the 2 sections together. The other zipper for the solid door is fine but there is no pressure there. IMO, a design defect as the zippers are YKK and the tent is only 4 years old and been used about 30 days a year. Also a zipper that has to follow a curved line is not ideal.

Anyway, it has always been a hassle as you have to use 2 hands...one to hold the 2 pieces together and the other to tug the zipper closed.

So I am thinking of replacing the door with a wider piece of shade cloth so there is less effort to get the pieces to line up and using velcro down both sides and at the bottom.

Good or bad idea? Other options?
    2008 Subaru Forester XT
    2015 Land Cruiser 79 Double Cab 4.2l Diesel

Default Re: Dome tent - Replace shade cloth door zipper with velcro?

I have a Tentco dome tent with velcro, I think between 40-50mms. During the night opening up makes a big noise, so much as to wake up others sleeping in the tent. Next time we go camping I plan to cover half of the Velcro with Velcro to makes less noise

Default Re: Dome tent - Replace shade cloth door zipper with velcro?

Have the zipper replaced at Cristy's Sports in Diepriver, Cape Town.I had my trailer tent's cover zip (7m long) replaced for under R500 recently.
    Francois Johnson

(swambo: Christel)

Our rides
    • 2010 Isuzu KB300LX DTeq 4x4 D/C
    • Metalian Maxi Trailer, Maxine