Amarok a better bakkie than the X-Class - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Amarok a better bakkie than the X-Class

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Experience have taught me the jokers and brand bashers very seldom 4x4
    Amen op dit.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrat View Post
    Interesting however, for me the 2.0 is a better buy. Driving my V6 Extreme this morning I realized, I actually preferred my old 2.0, it is ALOT smoother and hell lighter on diesel for obvious reasons, the 20inch wheels are stupid, I thought they looked great but the noise, the heaviness in the steering price then the cost to replace the tyres which the V6 eats for breakfast especially the fronts outter edges which go first, will make your eyes water.

2.0 just seemed to be the perfect all round package if you not into heavy towing.....so after 2months of V6 ownership, 2020 my next bakkie will be back to the 2.0 again.

My v6 is silky smooth with 18's on. Change those wheels.
    2018 VW Amarok V6 Auto 4Motion
    2011 VW Golf GTI DSG
    2007 VW Golf GTI
    2003 VW Citi Life

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ooba For This Useful Post:

My wife got a Amarok and I have driven the Navara aka x-class before and I am trying to convince her to get rid of the Amarok cause the thing is just standing around cause the Pajero is so much better to drive around with .

Sounds to me like your wife is too busy doing the man-stuff around the house to drive around in her real bakkie!
    Tyrannosaurus R5 and a second hand British Tata
    Quote Originally Posted by 2beFree View Post
    Jan your signature says it all

Interesting however, for me the 2.0 is a better buy. Driving my V6 Extreme this morning I realized, I actually preferred my old 2.0, it is ALOT smoother and hell lighter on diesel for obvious reasons, the 20inch wheels are stupid, I thought they looked great but the noise, the heaviness in the steering price then the cost to replace the tyres which the V6 eats for breakfast especially the fronts outter edges which go first, will make your eyes water.

2.0 just seemed to be the perfect all round package if you not into heavy towing.....so after 2months of V6 ownership, 2020 my next bakkie will be back to the 2.0 again.
    I am so glad you say this. I was worried that I'm the only one with this view.

After driving the V6 (Extreme) for 2 weeks/1,500km, I am convinced that it only beats the 2.0 in respect of engine performance. The ride of the V6 is terrible compared to that of the 2.0 I had (2013 Auto). I never felt any vibration from the engine in case of the 2.0. One is, however, almost always aware of the V6. Engine vibration can be felt through the seats and steering at idle. Even at 120, a slight vibration can be felt when the accelerator is depressed. With the 2.0, I thought the auto gearbox was flawless. With the V6, downshifts (usually around 2nd) are sometimes what can almost be described as harsh. (Interestingly, I had a similar experience with the (similar) auto gearbox in case of my Audi S8. Shifting to of from 2nd is sometimes very noticeable and almost harsh. Maybe the increased torque of the more powerful engines brings out the flaws of the otherwise almost perfect gearbox.)

Make no mistake, the acceleration in case of the V6 is fantastic, and when it comes to towing, there will probably be no contest. The 3.0, however, made me realise what a masterpiece the 2.0 was (and still is.)

Note: I was concerned about the ride quality of the 3.0 and had to bargain hard with the dealer to replace the 20" wheels with 19" wheels. The profile is however still too low, and even at (too low) tyre pressures of 2.1 bar, the ride is bumpy over anything but a perfectly flat road surface. The 2.0 with 17" tyres (75 profile if I remember correctly), had a silky smooth ride over uneven surfaces.
    2019 Amarok 3.0 Extreme Auto with Roll-n-Lock tonneau cover.
    Gone: 2013 Amarok 2.0 Auto
    2018 Audi SQ5
    Gone: 2015 Audi S8

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 949BFN For This Useful Post:

These are strange revelations. I was under the impression that the v6 is the one to go for.
    I am on my 3rd Amarok, and all 2L. The latest is a 2016 4m auto, with 19" wheels. The quality of ride is so good it is actually boring.
    Never tested the v6, but will participate in the Amarok Spirit challenge in the v6 later this year. Then i will be able to compare the two

Strange revelations indeed.

Ok, I never owned a 2.0 Amarok, but I've never felt a vibration on my V6 Amarok as described by 949BFN. Also don't experience the same problems as Scrat with the 20 inch wheels, it's even comfortable on the gravel road to my farm. To be honest, the Amarok is much smoother, quiter and rides better than the GL Merc I had before the Amarok.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosvark Kzn View Post
    Strange revelations indeed.

Ok, I never owned a 2.0 Amarok, but I've never felt a vibration on my V6 Amarok as described by 949BFN. Also don't experience the same problems as Scrat with the 20 inch wheels, it's even comfortable on the gravel road to my farm. To be honest, the Amarok is much smoother, quiter and rides better than the GL Merc I had before the Amarok.
    Drive a 2.0 with 17" wheels and you'll immediately realise what I talk about. Their is a massive difference in ride quality (especially at city speeds).

I tried 4 3.0's and with all of them, one could feel the engine vibration, most noticeable at idle speed.

Remember, I'm comparing Amarok to Amarok. Compared to other bakkies, it still is (in my view), the most refined bakkie by far. (I have not driven the V6 X-Class though).
    2018 Audi SQ5

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 949BFN For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by j9x View Post
    These are strange revelations. I was under the impression that the v6 is the one to go for.
    Yes, if engine performance is the only consideration. But if you consider value for money and fuel economy (and ignore the emotional aspect of the V6), the choice is not that obvious anymore in my view. The 2.0 Auto Amarok is a phenomenal package.
    2018 Audi SQ5

The Grand Tour last Friday had a 'test' with the Amarok, X class and the Ranger. Fun to watch - very tongue in cheek obviously with Clarkson, May and Hammond doing the 'testing'

Quote Originally Posted by adsl3g View Post
    The Grand Tour last Friday had a 'test' with the Amarok, X class and the Ranger. Fun to watch - very tongue in cheek obviously with Clarkson, May and Hammond doing the 'testing'
    Looking forward to watching it.
    2018 Audi SQ5

Now done 45000km in my V6 and can only agree my 2.0l was a more well rounded vehicle. The major problem I have had is when going over a speed bump the V6 always has to find a gear - the 2 l knew what gear it should be in. Also the vehicle wallowed when going over speed bumps - VW insist the shocks are fine. I replaced all four shocks and now I will say something I would not havbe believed had someone told me. The vehicle no longer hesitates when leaving speed bumps. ? The V6 still does have times it is not sure what gear it should be in especially if you suddely fl;oor the throttle to overtake.
    Quote Originally Posted by 949BFN View Post
    I am so glad you say this. I was worried that I'm the only one with this view. Hving driven the X-class 2.3 I wil stick to the Amarok - To me it is more well rounded and I have never yet needed low range in the last 5 years that I have driven an Amarok. I think the reasoning is often psychological and criticism is often from persons who have never driven an Amarok. Mine constantly(and the 2l )surprises people who have never driven the Amarok.

After driving the V6 (Extreme) for 2 weeks/1,500km, I am convinced that it only beats the 2.0 in respect of engine performance. The ride of the V6 is terrible compared to that of the 2.0 I had (2013 Auto). I never felt any vibration from the engine in case of the 2.0. One is, however, almost always aware of the V6. Engine vibration can be felt through the seats and steering at idle. Even at 120, a slight vibration can be felt when the accelerator is depressed. With the 2.0, I thought the auto gearbox was flawless. With the V6, downshifts (usually around 2nd) are sometimes what can almost be described as harsh. (Interestingly, I had a similar experience with the (similar) auto gearbox in case of my Audi S8. Shifting to of from 2nd is sometimes very noticeable and almost harsh. Maybe the increased torque of the more powerful engines brings out the flaws of the otherwise almost perfect gearbox.)

Make no mistake, the acceleration in case of the V6 is fantastic, and when it comes to towing, there will probably be no contest. The 3.0, however, made me realise what a masterpiece the 2.0 was (and still is.)

Note: I was concerned about the ride quality of the 3.0 and had to bargain hard with the dealer to replace the 20" wheels with 19" wheels. The profile is however still too low, and even at (too low) tyre pressures of 2.1 bar, the ride is bumpy over anything but a perfectly flat road surface. The 2.0 with 17" tyres (75 profile if I remember correctly), had a silky smooth ride over uneven surfaces.
    2017 Amarok V6 HiLine+
    2014 Amarok 4Motion Auto (Sold)
    1983 Suzuki SJ410V
    2019 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 Tekna CVT
    1985 Suzuki SJ413
    Mazda Cx7 Turbo(Sold)
    Fiat 500 1400MTA (Tweety)

Quote Originally Posted by Dez View Post
    Now done 45000km in my V6 and can only agree my 2.0l was a more well rounded vehicle. The major problem I have had is when going over a speed bump the V6 always has to find a gear - the 2 l knew what gear it should be in. Also the vehicle wallowed when going over speed bumps - VW insist the shocks are fine. I replaced all four shocks and now I will say something I would not havbe believed had someone told me. The vehicle no longer hesitates when leaving speed bumps. ? The V6 still does have times it is not sure what gear it should be in especially if you suddely fl;oor the throttle to overtake.
    Dez
    Do you also have the larger wheels (19 or 20"). Do you also find the ride to be harsh and did the replacement shocks make a difference? If so, would you mind sharing the details of the new shocks?
    I managed to get the dealer to exchange the standard 20" rims with 19" rims because the standard 19" tyres have a higher profile, but I still find the ride to be harsh (compared to the 2.0 which had 17" rims). I like the look of the 19" rims very much, but I'm seriously considering getting a set of 17 inchers. I will postpone my decision until I've done at least 7,500km with the 20" rims.
    The dealer warned me that I could pick up problems with the warranty if I change to smaller than 19" rims, because the Extreme is only available in 2 rim sizes (19 and 20) and that the gearbox is coded accordingly (and not for 17-inch rims.) I don't believe that to be true, but I'll have to investigate that before moving to 17" rims. (In the end, the circumference stays more or less the same, so I don't understand why it would make a difference.)
    Last edited by 949BFN; 2019/02/04 at 09:56 AM.
    2018 Audi SQ5

Out of interest I'd like to ask what sort of trade or resale was achieved with those who sold their 2 litres for the V6?

Were you satisfied when comparing against the book value? I've heard for years my Rok will not have a good resale value when it comes time to selling. Hopefully this won't be anytime soon...absolutely love my Rok. 2012 132kw 4 motion on 170000km and touch wood going like a boeing.
    Last edited by Roosta; 2019/02/04 at 10:27 AM.

Dez

The dealer warned me that I could pick up problems with the warranty if I change to smaller than 19" rims, because the Extreme is only available in 2 rim sizes (19 and 20) and that the gearbox is coded accordingly (and not for 17-inch rims.) I don't believe that to be true, but I'll have to investigate that before moving to 17" rims. (In the end, the circumference stays more or less the same, so I don't understand why it would make a difference.)

*cough - bulldust.

the only thing that could worry about tyre circumference is TPMS that uses the calculation method instead of actual sensors and in that case you just calibrate it using the MMI or whatever VW calls it.
    The gearbox could not care less about what size tyre it is turning.
    There could be a minimum rim size depending on brake sizing but not coding.
    Last edited by Stephan van Tonder; 2019/02/04 at 10:38 AM.
    Audi Q7 - 3l TDi - 2010 - steel suspension - wife's daily
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDI
    VW Touareg - 2009 - V6 TDI
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephan van Tonder For This Useful Post:

Some interesting comments regarding the V6 ride quality, my guess is a set of 18" wheels will be ideal
    Darryn Van Rooyen
    2014 D/C Amarok 4Motion H/L Auto - 76mm Decat Downpipe and Revo Stage 1 Tune
    Current: 1987 Citi Sport 1.6

Dez
    Do you also have the larger wheels (19 or 20"). Do you also find the ride to be harsh and did the replacement shocks make a difference? If so, would you mind sharing the details of the new shocks?
    I managed to get the dealer to exchange the standard 20" rims with 19" rims because the standard 19" tyres have a higher profile, but I still find the ride to be harsh (compared to the 2.0 which had 17" rims). I like the look of the 19" rims very much, but I'm seriously considering getting a set of 17 inchers. I will postpone my decision until I've done at least 7,500km with the 20" rims.
    A classic case of some idiot at the dealer that doesn't have a clue...
    The coding is exactly the same for all amaroks in terms of speedo calibration. You can change it up or down but it has got nothing to do with rim size... Saying rim size because rim size has nothing to do with wheel size if you don't specify a tire size with it. The 265/65/17 is 1.7 % bigger in terms of circumference. I'm running both 19s and 265/70/17s... Like the 17s more for some reasons and the 19s for others.... very different driving characteristics but nothing beats the comfort of the 17s and again nothing beats the road holding of the 19s... But honestly saying I have shitty tires on the 17s and Grabbers on the 19s... Same tyres both sizes and the difference will get closer in terms of roadholding, still comfort on the 17s will not be beat.

You will find that the real speed of the amarok with different wheel sizes will vary a bit due to the same wheel size coding... You can change it if you really want... With my 17s my speedo speed and GPS speed readings are about the same.

I agree with the sentiments expressed regarding the 2.0l vs the V6.

I find the engine response at lower revs to be better on the 2.0 (the torque band kicks in lower I believe). It certainly feels more nippy driving around town than the V6.

As an expedition vehicle I would also rather be in the 2.0. I am not too sure what sort of support one would get north with that super high tech motor? Also, the 2.0 can run on 500ppm diesel (of course it is not ideal and you have to change the filter more regularly) whereas it is almost certainly a no no in the V6?

Of course the V6 is a wonderful machine, but it is not a replacement for the 2.0. Rather it is an addition to the range.
    Amarok 2016 Auto
    Seikel Snorkel
    Iron Man suspension
    RSI Signature Canopy
    Eezi Awn Roof racks and Awning
    Howling Moon RTT and Annex
    Stofpad Bashplate

V6 uses the same injector and similar pump as the 2l - so if you deem it Ok to run 500 ppm in the 2l then you can do the same in the v6 - the same by shortening the service interval. I've had to run 500 in my v6 A6 a number of times when you can't find it in remote places. It's still going just fine.

Technology wise it's not that different an engine and actually preceeds to 2l - not came after. Yes it has had a number of upgrades but the basic pump and injectors workings have not changed since 2005.
    Audi Q7 - 3l TDi - 2010 - steel suspension - wife's daily
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDI
    VW Touareg - 2009 - V6 TDI
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephan van Tonder For This Useful Post:

So you only had the V6 more two months and are already making assumptions about Diesel Usage and Tyres How much km's did you do in this two months
    VW AMAROK V6
    Land Rover Defender Td5

Land Rover Discovery 4 V8 HSE (Swambo)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast