Richards Bay Fishing Spots

Default Richards Bay Fishing Spots

I am going to Richards Bay in March to try some deep sea fishing. This is my first time to RB and would appreciate any help on offer. Have room for on crew if interested! Launching from harbor , would Richards Bay Ski Boat Club or Meerensee accommodate a visitor?

Default Re: Richards Bay Fishing Spots

Launch at the ski boat club. They have visitors launching there all the time.

Enjoy your trip!

Spoor ( Danie) here on the forum is a very experienced skipper, he should be able to help with advice.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

We leaving on Wednesday for Sodwana , 6 days of Marlin Fishing , my first time in that area , will try and find out some info for you

Enjoy the trip!! Very jealous

Hi,

I will be fishing RB from 11 to 15 Feb...

Can give some feedback after that...

You can pay a day rate to launch from the RB ski boat club or buy a week pass (for non-members)...

http://www.skiboatclub.co.za/

This will be my first time fishing RB as well....

2017 Mitsubishi Triton 2.4 D/C 4X4 6 Auto Diesel
    Lynx Bashplate

DIY Drawer system
    DIY Drop Fridge Slide
    My ULTIMATE dual battery box

Are you allowed to leave the harbour? I know that from the DBn Ski Boat club, you don't touch the harbour so no issues, however to leave via the harbour entrance, there is another requirement with a oral quiz from the port captain from what I understand. This covers all those that leave from Point Yacht Club, the public slipway, Durban boat owners, Finlands etc I think.

Has not been an issue for me as we leave via the beach, but would be surprised if RB does not have a similar requirement to leave the harbour mouth? Worth checking before you commit?

Perhaps a local can comment?

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    Are you allowed to leave the harbour? I know that from the DBn Ski Boat club, you don't touch the harbour so no issues, however to leave via the harbour entrance, there is another requirement with a oral quiz from the port captain from what I understand. This covers all those that leave from Point Yacht Club, the public slipway, Durban boat owners, Finlands etc I think.

Has not been an issue for me as we leave via the beach, but would be surprised if RB does not have a similar requirement to leave the harbour mouth? Worth checking before you commit?

I think RB ski boat club will assit with all these question/answers if you launch from them...

2017 Mitsubishi Triton 2.4 D/C 4X4 6 Auto Diesel
    Lynx Bashplate

DIY Drawer system
    DIY Drop Fridge Slide
    My ULTIMATE dual battery box

Permission is requested from Port Control via radio to leave harbour Stephen.

I have allerted Danie to the thread, should respond when he has a chance, was on the water with him yesterday in the harbour.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Riaan van Wyk; 2019/01/28 at 12:40 PM.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

Afternoon Stephenplumb,

This is how we used to do it.
    Seeing as Richardsbay is a ''working'' port recreational vessels must request permission from port control via radio to enter and exit the port via the main channel.

You sign in/out at the ski boat club. Details of area you'll be fishing, no of persons on board and estimated time of return. On the way out contact port control, request to exit and on return before entering main channel request to enter port.

Sometimes a bit of patience is required as they don't always reply promptly.

Cheers, hope the trip is good.

no such thing in Richards bay . You come and make sure your boat is sea worthy all your safety kit is valid and right for your catagory , you have a vhf radio ( 29mhz) no longer in use and then you must have a vhf opperators lisence , you launch from the boat club and pay a small visitors fee or get a visitors permit sticker ( then you radio to port control for permission to leave port with your crew count destination and eta and away you go . Upon return you radio back in with your number and bobs your uncle . No funny stuff