MediaRelease: Importing a 1997 Defender 130 into Namibia

Default Importing a 1997 Defender 130 into Namibia

Does anyone know the ins and outs of importing a used vehicle from South Africa into Namibia?
    What I know is that the vehicle must be de-registered from NATIS, be micro dotted and have a police clearance certificate. I guess a temporary permit to drive it to border post will be required. Namibia charges 16% import tax. Is this on purchase price or on book value? Then I believe there is also an emissions tax payable which is calculated according to age of vehicle.
    Please anyone that can confirm this or give the correct version.

Default Re: Importing a 1997 Defender 130 into Namibia

I brought my vehicles with when I moved to Namibia 9 years ago.

At that stage, the following applied :

In South Africa

1) Birthing certificate from manufacturer (basically confirmation that they did manufacture a vehicle with that engine and chassis number)
    2) microdots
    3) Police clearance certificate
    4) 3 Valuations
    5) de-register the car at Natis. we were still allowed do drive the car with its existing license disk and number plates. There was a time bar, of something like 7 or 10 days

On the SA border

1) You have to make use of the services of a clearing agent on the border. They have to complete some documents and update the system that the vehicle has "left" the country
    2) declare the car at customs, and they check paper work.

On the Namibian side of the border

1) declare the car at customs
    2) They will refer you to a clearing agent who do the paperwork
    3) back to customs. some fun and games ... They now have to determine the import value. If all 3 valuations are the same, they may be of the opinion that you are trying to be dishonest and decide on their own value. If the 3 valuations are not the same, they may decide to use the highest one, the lowest one or the average. Now that they have determines the import value, you have to pay VAT + a 10% surcharge on the VAT. Cheques are not accepted any more. You would not know the amount for the cheque in any case .... Not card facilities. You can pay with an EFT, but the car will only be cleared once the money shows on their bank account, and that could take a few days. So ...... cash is king !
    4) don't forget to pay the road tax. The vehicle still has SA number plates

In Namibia

1) the vehicle has to go for another Police and Interpol clearance
    2) If the vehicle was registered in your name in SA, it does not have to go for roadworthy. If ownership changes, it has to go for roadworthy.
    3) at Natis you get a Natis ID (traffic register number for you as person, and all future transactions at Natis has to be accompanied by that document
    4) you then register the vehicle at Natis. You get your disc and gave the plates made.

TIP

Ask one of the second car dealers for the name of a reliable agent. When the car of my late wife had to be transferred to my name, I made use of one of these guys. 4 years ago he cost me N$600, on top of the regulated fees. He came to my house that morning, parked his car in the garage, left his keys with me, and drove off with the Terios. 8 hours later he was at my home again. All paperwork done, roadworthy done, registered in my name, licence disc stuck to inside of windscreen. I kept the registration number, otherwise he would have had the number plates made as well.

Johan
    Last edited by J Snyman; 2019/01/26 at 07:57 PM.
    2011 Daihatsu Terios 4x4
    2018 Isuzu KB300 Double Cab 4x4 Auto

3. The Following User Says Thank You to J Snyman For This Useful Post: