Moin, I am Jesper looking for advise & suggestions.

Cool Moin, I am Jesper looking for advise & suggestions.

Hallo,

me and swambo will arrive to Gauteng next week. We wanne do a slow roadtrip to namibia.

Reading a lot and I am big fan of reason and passion of most members.

Looking for good advise how to kitt simple with more or less tight budget, second hand,and smarthacks.

Recomandations for Namakwa in spring are apreciated.
    Last edited by ol'berba; 2019/06/04 at 01:03 AM. Reason: No response.

Default Re: Moin, I am Jesper looking for advise & suggestions.

Disco 2 tdi5 vs Pajero 3.2 did

will the saving while purchasing be even by needed fixes on the road, any thoughts?

Hi Jesper, and welcome to the forum - sorry there were no earlier responses...
    Both vehicles have a good reputation, can you give us an idea of your budget?
    Re Namaqualand, there has been a terrible drought in the area, the worst in living memory, so it's hard to tell at this stage what the flowers will be like this year. Further south, from the Cederberg up to about Calvinia, might be a better bet this year, but best to keep checking closer to spring, as there is still enough time for rain if some big cold fronts push through from the Western Cape this winter.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Hi Tony, thanks for the warm hello and the info about namakwa. We will keep an eye on the weather while driving the south.

We hope to have a (for our needs) equipped car for less than 140 k. Thats tight. But we had reasonable offers, mainly Hilux with canopy, in that range)

Beside the suspension/Lift and the tyres we want

RTT
    40-60 Litre Fridge
    Solar Panel / Dual Battery system
    + needed brackets for Jerrycan and Gas
    + Basic equipment for Recovery and of tools

we are trying to purchase as much as possible and reasonable second hand (Fridge and tent).

So the vehicle shouldn t cost more than 80-90 k to fit in our wallet.

Hilux is a good choice. Personally, I wouldn't waste money on lifting the suspension, and lifting often gives problems in exotic places where spare parts are not available. I would stick with the standard suspension and only replace if you need to.
    A fridge/freezer is also an expensive item, and I personally don't use one - I use a good cooler box. Depending on where you are intending to travel, and especially if you are only in South Africa, Namibia and Botswana, for example, you'll be fine without one. You may have to go without fresh meat for a few days, but that is a minor irritation, and cold beer and cool drinks are available just about everywhere.
    Rather use your limited budget to get a good tent and comfortable sleeping gear, camp chairs and an awning for shade and rain protection.
    If you give more details about your intended route, and for how long you will be travelling, it would be useful.
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2019/06/04 at 06:06 PM.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

To answer the question about duration and route. Firstly we will spend half a year in South Africa and Namibia, but our idea is to travel after a short christmas break up to Ethiopia and back to South Africa, even we do not know how exactly. In total we assume that we will travel something around 18 Month.

We know that the fridge is a luxury item but a convenience we will highly appreciate, but if you could recommend a coolerbox which would give us the possibility to store veggies, milk and cheese for the trip, I will take a look on that option.

To the car. Toyota is the number 1 in Africa, the reputation of the LC is unbeatable and the Hilux as well, but a diesel seem to be hard to find. We are checking for the fully equpped vehicles ready to swap owner, but get ready to equip one ourselves.

I was quite shocked by the reputation of Land Rover, I mean folks appreciate the off- and offroad abilities but hate their need of maintenace and time in workshops.
    On the other side I hope that any possible issue is already known :P

Moin moin nach Berlin!

Considering the 2nd part of your journey, I would highly recommend looking for a Toyota, either a Hilux, Fortuner or a LC Prado 90. And rather than diesel, consider the V6 3.4 petrol in the Prado or the 4.0 V6 in case of the Hilux / Fortuner.

The moment you leave RSA / Bots / Nam northbound, you will struggle to find spares for anything but Toyota. I have lived and worked in Gabon, Tanzania and Djibouti. In all these places it is easy to find 2nd hand Toyota spares and workshops that know how to fix Toyota. As good as the Pajero is, there is a good reason why they are so much cheaper to buy 2nd hand up there in real Africa. It's difficult to get spares and to find someone to fix the vehicle.
    Driving that distance you are planning on with a 2nd hand vehicle that fits your budget, it is rather likely that you end up needing spares.
    Both of the V6 Toyota engines I have mentioned are pretty much bullet proof.

If I was in your shoes, I would contact Petri Oosthuizen https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...tri-Oosthuizen and ask him to help you find a good Prado 90. If he finds you one, chances are good it'll take you all the way to Addis.
    Don't be fooled by the better fuel economy of the diesel, in your price range you might not find really decent and reliable ones. Most diesel 4x4s would give you around 12l / 100 km, with RTT. Drive the V6 nicely and it'll give you 15-16l / 100 km and potentially a whole lot less trouble.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

https://www.4x4community.co.za/class...top-tent/cat/4

So I assume, that would fit you recommandation.

I really thought thag Land Rover would be availble in Most Parts of Africa. anyhow, I contacted petri, to See if He has advise.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ol'berba View Post

I really thought thag Land Rover would be availble in Most Parts of Africa. anyhow, I contacted petri, to See if He has advise.

Thanks.
    That Prado looks perfect, and with rooftent is still only 90k which leaves you enough kitting out and fuel money.
    My name is Rainier and I drive a Frotuna.

Why are you always in such a bad mood? Experience...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

Thanks.
    That looks like a good option. Even if you don't get the RTT, everything else like fridge, dual battery system, roof rack, new shocks, tyres with good amount of tread left.
    That Prado alone comes in at the bottom of your budget. I'm sure you'll find another RTT in case this one is sold to someone else.
    It says new LBJ, lower ball joints, which is a problem on these high mileage Prados. Speak to the seller and find out if he replaced them with original ones from Toyota or whether he put in generic ones. If it's not Toyota OEM parts, they might give in within a few thousand km. Wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, as long as that Prado is clean otherwise. LBJs have been discussed recently, apparently you get those parts from Toyota for 2-3k. Have a look here: https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-advice-please
    Last edited by HugoNotte; 2019/06/09 at 02:50 PM.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Wow, I even would say they discuss exactly that Prado.
    Thanks a Lot for that good Informations. As we arrive to Joburg, 500 km to See the car is a little much but will contact for more Informations.

I am currently in contact with a guy in Pretoria, who wants to sell a 97 LC gx80.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/9149...664355&sfns=mo

He couldn t sell the car for 2 month which makes us doubt.

Could anyone recommend someone trustworthy and experienced in Pretoria who could help checking the car for weaknesses. Or has anyone further knowledge the Gx 80. Very short search brought up that spares/used Parts could get very rare and expensive.

He claims it is in good condition, Motor working fine.

Boarding, so excited.
    Last edited by ol'berba; 2019/06/09 at 04:34 PM.

Wow, I even would say they discuss exactly that Prado.
    Thanks a Lot for that good Informations. As we arrive to Joburg, 500 km to See the car is a little much but will contact for more Informations.

I am currently in contact with a guy in Pretoria, who wants to sell a 97 LC gx80.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/9149...664355&sfns=mo

He couldn t sell the car for 2 month which makes us doubt.

Could anyone recommend someone trustworthy and experienced in Pretoria who could help checking the car for weaknesses. Or has anyone further knowledge the Gx 80. Very short search brought up that spares/used Parts could get very rare and expensive.

He claims it is in good condition, Motor working fine.

Boarding, so excited.
    That would be the straight 6 petrol engine. Great engine, unkaputbar (bulletproof), but it's thirsty. With that RTT on top, you are looking at very close to 20 l / 100 km. Otherwise the 80 series are great cruisers. Question is whether you would need that space or a Prado wouldn't be sufficient and more economical.
    I have seen a lot more Prado 90s on the roads than 80 series Cruisers, therefore Prado spares might be easier to come by at east 2nd hand.
    As for prices, I still get everything I need for reasonable prices for my 1983 60 series Cruiser from the agents. Sometimes I have to wait, as they have to get the stuff from Japan, which wouldn't be ideal in your case. Not sure why the 80 series spare parts should be more expensive.

If you are looking for Landcruiser / Prado specific information, you might want to continue in the Toyota section, you might get better exposure there.
    Lots of information is also available on www.landcruiserclub.co.za even though there is a membership fee.

As for checking out that 80s, maybe contact Henries https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...hp/7153-Henris
    He does that kind of stuff for a fee, yet it might be very worth your while.
    Last edited by HugoNotte; 2019/06/09 at 06:12 PM.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

17. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

As mentioned by Hugenotte, a member named Henris is known on the forum as the go to guy to check cars out.
    Stephan

4x4: 2018 Isuzu KB250 D-Teq 4x4 DC
    Platkar: 2019 Suzuki Baleno GLX

"All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Groenman For This Useful Post:

20l/100km? The guy selling wrote 15.
    We gonne meet for the LC next week to See how big it really is. In General we are used to travel light, so Prado would fit better.

I will approach Henris, to See if He is availble.

Thanks tony, Hugo and groenmann. Highly apreciated.

What car did you end up getting?
    Stephan

4x4: 2018 Isuzu KB250 D-Teq 4x4 DC
    Platkar: 2019 Suzuki Baleno GLX

"All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

I see that Prado did not sit around too long.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Cool Re: Moin, I am Jesper looking for advise & suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Groenman View Post
    What car did you end up getting?
    It will be a 2003 Pajero 3.2 Di D Auto with little mileage of 350k. First thing on Monday it goes to the Workshop to Service and some "minor" fixes.

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    I see that Prado did not sit around too long.
    No Mohammed had quite a few offers for a very good car. Even tho, he couldn 't confirm that the LBJ were replace with genuine parts.

We passed as we work with Workshop in Pretoria which will do the service and some kitting and Mike,(and) the mechanic is convinced that this Pajero won't make any trouble. :-)

I trust his word and hope that there are at least some Mitsu around. In the end I can ask Stranger for advise as his Signature
    made the decision easier.
    Last edited by ol'berba; 2019/06/22 at 10:03 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ol'berba For This Useful Post:

Just to expand on that.

The first Pajero I owned was bought from a Dutch couple in Cape town. They had come over and bought this vehicle from a local. They then kitted it and went walkabout in Southern Africa for many months until they ran out of money.

Enter me, green around the ears, however this very forum and in particular, SimonB, who kindly checked out said Pajero, bought the Pajero which was not even on my radar. I was looking for a good Landie and could not find one in my budget.

50 000 + hard African KMs later and a great deal came up on a Gen 3 Pajero that I could not turn down. This is all documented on this forum by the way. So now I have the Gen 3 and am as happy as .... I wish I had 5 Gen 2 Pajero's as I had guys fighting over mine to buy.

Yes Toyota is good, yes Landies are good but Mitsu's, well .... they just give you a sense of confidence. I had some ups and downs with mine, but have never been stranded, important that on my list.

Look up my trip reports, hope you enjoy.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post: