Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Fuel related problems - Freelander

As a newbie Freelander owner, Iím hoping to get some assistance based on my description of the problem. I drive a 2011 SD4 and experienced the vehicle grinding to a halt yesterday in the middle of rush hour. Now unable to start the car either.

Seems to be a fuel problem as the engine wants to start but there seems to be air in the fuel system. Surely it canít be as simple as air - possible caused by a cracked pipe or o-ring, thereby breaking the vacuum.

No warning messages, all the lights on the dash come on. Battery is okay, but taking a hit trying to bleed the air out the system.

When taking the pipes off before/after the filter , assuming itís the filter as it sits directly in front of the engine. There are two pipes, one with an arrow pointing to the fuel tank side of the vehicle and another taking fuel through what looks like the filter and onto the manifold/common rail).

The pipes appear to be very dry - I would have expected to see some resemblance of diesel on the walls of the pipes. Also, when cranking the engine, there is minimal diesel coming out the pipes from the manifold/common rail to the injectors.

My insurance took the car to the closest dealer, which is in the towing agreement - while I would have preferred an indy having a look at.

What are the symptoms on a faulty HP fuel pump?

Default Re: Fuel related problems - Freelander

Quote Originally Posted by Frostii View Post
    As a newbie Freelander owner, Iím hoping to get some assistance based on my description of the problem. I drive a 2011 SD4 and experienced the vehicle grinding to a halt yesterday in the middle of rush hour. Now unable to start the car either.

Seems to be a fuel problem as the engine wants to start but there seems to be air in the fuel system. Surely it canít be as simple as air - possible caused by a cracked pipe or o-ring, thereby breaking the vacuum.

No warning messages, all the lights on the dash come on. Battery is okay, but taking a hit trying to bleed the air out the system.

When taking the pipes off before/after the filter , assuming itís the filter as it sits directly in front of the engine. There are two pipes, one with an arrow pointing to the fuel tank side of the vehicle and another taking fuel through what looks like the filter and onto the manifold/common rail).

The pipes appear to be very dry - I would have expected to see some resemblance of diesel on the walls of the pipes. Also, when cranking the engine, there is minimal diesel coming out the pipes from the manifold/common rail to the injectors.

My insurance took the car to the closest dealer, which is in the towing agreement - while I would have preferred an indy having a look at.

Hi,maybe it might be a faulty crank sensor.
    Since you say it sounds like it wants to start.
    Im sure somebody will be along shortly to advise.
    Regards
    Currently(Katryn) 2011 FL2 SD4 stock
    K6 GSXR750 (With all the BAZZAZ goodies)
    EX: 2012 Mazda CX7 Individual 2.3disi (sold)
    2010 Mazda 3 Sport Dynamic (sold)
    2004 VW 1.9Tdi (sold)
    2007 Fiat Strada (sold)
    (Thandi) K7 gsxr600 (wrecked)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dieselwa For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the reply. I have read a lot of the threads to try find a similar problem but nothing seems the same.

Would the crank sensor cause the car to cut out?

Thanks for the reply. I have read a lot of the threads to try find a similar problem but nothing seems the same.

Would the crank sensor cause the car to cut out?
    Yes,the crank position sensor will cut out the engine.
    One member on the forum had the engine cut out whilst driving.
    I'm sure you will find the thread on the forum related to that issue.im not sure which thread it is.
    Hope its not a big issue.
    Regards.
    2004 VW 1.9Tdi (sold)
    2007 Fiat Strada (sold)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dieselwa For This Useful Post:

It might even be a dirty fuel filter.
    2004 VW 1.9Tdi (sold)
    2007 Fiat Strada (sold)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dieselwa For This Useful Post:

Crank position sensor can cause it!Lots of youtube vids how to clean or replace.Our car cut out bur always started again,so I just cleaned it with electronic cleaner and it is fine....two years ago!!
    Could also be dirty diesel filter.
    Last edited by DiscoFrans; 2019/01/27 at 10:44 PM.
    2012 RR TDV8 4.4
    2006 TDV6 SE A/T(Sold)
    2013 Bush Lapa Boskriek B142 met CKGR strepe
    2008 FL2 TD4 SE A/T
    1968 Renault 8 Gordini

As a newbie Freelander owner, I’m hoping to get some assistance based on my description of the problem. I drive a 2011 SD4 and experienced the vehicle grinding to a halt yesterday in the middle of rush hour. Now unable to start the car either.

Seems to be a fuel problem as the engine wants to start but there seems to be air in the fuel system. Surely it can’t be as simple as air - possible caused by a cracked pipe or o-ring, thereby breaking the vacuum.

When taking the pipes off before/after the filter , assuming it’s the filter as it sits directly in front of the engine. There are two pipes, one with an arrow pointing to the fuel tank side of the vehicle and another taking fuel through what looks like the filter and onto the manifold/common rail).

HI
    If you think its the fuel pump check the fuel pressure, there are two fuel pumps and the first one that normally fails is the one in the tank. If it is this pump its easy to diagnose.
    Is the fuel tank under 1/4 full?
    If tank is low put in 10 litres fuel. with ignition on pump the accelerator 7 times (nice and slow)this will automatically prime/bleed the system you should hear the fuel sound change if so its your pump in the tank (yes the expensive one).
    If this still does not solve the problem there is a high pressure pump under the chassis (plate passenger side around the passenger door) open the plate and remove the hose closest to engine turn the ignition on and check if fuel is coming out solid stream ( I am guessing you dont have tools to measure this). if it is both your pumps are working,
    These are easy checks.
    Let me know how you get on.

Quote Originally Posted by Landymac View Post
    HI
    If you think its the fuel pump check the fuel pressure, there are two fuel pumps and the first one that normally fails is the one in the tank. If it is this pump its easy to diagnose.
    Is the fuel tank under 1/4 full?
    If tank is low put in 10 litres fuel. with ignition on pump the accelerator 7 times (nice and slow)this will automatically prime/bleed the system you should hear the fuel sound change if so its your pump in the tank (yes the expensive one).
    If this still does not solve the problem there is a high pressure pump under the chassis (plate passenger side around the passenger door) open the plate and remove the hose closest to engine turn the ignition on and check if fuel is coming out solid stream ( I am guessing you dont have tools to measure this). if it is both your pumps are working,
    These are easy checks.
    Let me know how you get on.

I just noticed you said car was towed if it was lifted up in the front it will move fuel over to the left hand side of the tank (same as putting in 10 litres ) if it starts now it is your fuel pump in the tank.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

The gauge was on 1/4 (range showing 170Km), and I did fill the tank with 25L once I got home, with help from the neighbour, but still wouldnít start.

The car is currently at the closest LR dealer, due to the T&Cs (towing) with my insurance. I know itís going to cost more than an indy would charge, but all I need is to get it running so I can drive it to the indy for a complete check - the seller needs to cover the repairs and the service - was due in less than 1000km.

Itís a little frustrating, but also a good experience to know what it is and what causes it. Nothing like getting stuck on the side of the road in a remote area, and not being able to repair basic problems.

Will reply again once the dealer confirms the problem(s).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Frostii For This Useful Post:

I picked the car up today from the dealer, with only a new fuel filter fitted (at my request), a full daignostic report and three globes (only one brake light was working).

They drained the pipes, pumped manually to get the lines filled and tried to start the car. Bingo!

Seems air was getting near the filter through one of the pipes connecting at the filter, but no specifics defining the problem.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Frostii For This Useful Post:

well at least it was a cheap fix
    I picked the car up today from the dealer, with only a new fuel filter fitted (at my request), a full daignostic report and three globes (only one brake light was working).

They drained the pipes, pumped manually to get the lines filled and tried to start the car. Bingo!

Seems air was getting near the filter through one of the pipes connecting at the filter, but no specifics defining the problem.

A cheap fix indeed. A week later and the same problem has happened again. A similar level of fuel in the tank - just under half - and almost the same place on the highway (not that this has anything to do with the problem).

A cheap fix indeed. A week later and the same problem has happened again. A similar level of fuel in the tank - just under half - and almost the same place on the highway (not that this has anything to do with the problem).
    Its pointing to the fuel sender unit within the tank.maybe someone will be able to shed more light on the issue.
    Hope you get sorted.
    Regards.
    2004 VW 1.9Tdi (sold)
    2007 Fiat Strada (sold)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to dieselwa For This Useful Post:

If it happened again its the fuel tank fuel pump it pumps from left to right as the tank has a camel hump in it to accommodate the drive shaft. My guess when it was towed an amount of fuel went over the hump to the left hand side of the tank where the fuel is drawn from. The pump and measure (fuel gauge is on the right hand side)
    That is now your new empty mark until you get the fuel pump replaced.

I think it is a Siemens VDO unit (OEM part, Exactly what landrover put in when it was made, off the top of my head). Stay away from from cheap chinese replacements as these will fail within a year guaranteed. (from experience). When replacing it disconnect battery and do not connect battery under any circumstances or your fuel gauge will be stuck on the current reading on empty.

If you live near Cape town, and can wait 5 weeks or so as I am still waiting for my tools at sea. I do have the special tool to make this job fairly quick approx 1.,5/2 hours. (Just immigrated back from U.K. and am starting my own Landrover workshop LandyLogic. My rates are reasonable at R600 an hour I am not yet VAT registered so no VAT yet.
    I have just arrived in Cape town and waiting for my tools which are still at sea if you can wait 5 weeks.

Hope this helps

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Landymac For This Useful Post:

Ive seen before that sometimes the fuel tank gets knocked when offroad. Its flexible enough that the tank then pushes inwards and causes the pump to unclip or break the clips on the pump that has to hold it on to the bottom of the tank. The pump then floats in the tank and starts sucking air.
    2005 Land Rover Discovery 3 V8 (Will allways end up with an V8)
    1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 V8 (Another one)
    1967 Land Rover Series 2A 3.5 V8 (The Green Machine)
    196? Land Rover Series 2 V8 100" (The Coiler)
    2010 Mercedes C350 CDI (The Daily)

Ex.
    Discovery 1:TDI and a V8. Discovery 2 V8. Discovery 3 TDV6. Freelander 2 TD4, a C350 CDI and a Subaru Forester XT

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeandreDiedericks For This Useful Post:

Default Fuel related problems - Freelander

Thanks Landymac.

Iím a Vaalie, so a bit far from you.

The dealer arranged to tow the car back to the dealership, and then check it out again. Iím guessing the problem IS pump-related as there is no fuel getting to the filter when syphoning.

Letís see what they say, this time - as the car ran fine for 3 days (when there was more fuel in the tank).
    Last edited by Frostii; 2019/02/04 at 03:44 PM.

On my way to pick up the Freelander after 3 days at the dealer. They disconnected the battery, and something else, then the switch to the pump in the tank. Reconnected everything and the car started immediately. They checked the connections, re-crimped wires and have done 70-odd Km with the car. No problems, they say.

Pump was working fine too, so thatís a relief.

Hopefully this is the last problem I have with this.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Frostii For This Useful Post: