Default D4 Intermittent white Smoke

Hi Guys,

My dads 2011 D4 SDV6 smokes intermittently. It is white smoke, and only really happens when you put your foot down.
    My dad does not drive the car very hard at all, and the smoke (or whatever causes it) seems to build up over time and then release when he does have to accelerate hard. ie. If you put your foot down and it dumps a whole lot of smoke out the exhaust then you put your foot down again 5 minutes later it wont smoke at all. However give it a few days and put your foot down again and you will have smoke coming out the exhaust.

It was never too bad, however in the last few months it has gotten quite bad, to the point where the amount of smoke coming out the back is really alarming. We did take the car to LR and had it diagnosed there, they said it was a blocked turbo drain pipe. We took the car to an indy and they concurred with LR dealership and replaced the pipes for us, however we are still having the same issue.

Anyone experienced this with their D4?

Thanks.
    2009 Freelander SE TD4

Default Re: D4 Intermittent white Smoke

Not necessarily related to a D4, but I have come across white smoke in vehicles where the head gasket has gone or the head itself is cracked .

It's basically steam.

Maybe ask the Indy the pressure test etc?

Cheers

There is a difference between white smoke and steam. Head gasket cracked with steam out the exhaust is normally distinguishable from smoke. And if the head is cracked and it's steaming out the exhaust, you would also notice the loss of coolant, and have other noticeable symptoms.

Oil blowing past the rings or getting into the inlet through the turbo will smoke white.

Overfeulimg will smoke dark grey or black.

Clogged dpfs and cats will also smoke white when they burn off the sulphur soot.

If two independent workshops have confirmed a blocked turbo drain pipe, then that is where I would start. If the turbo can't drain properly, as the oil pressure builds, it will push last the seals and into the inlet, causing the white smoke.

It needs the turbo return pipe mod, there was a bulletin out by LR, but they did not recall, just did if there was complaints.

The oil pool up in the second turbo and when you accelerate past 2800 rpm and the second turbo kicks in, it burns the oil. More annoying than being a problem. Mine does it as well and will have the pipe mod dun sometime during a service.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to faniedup For This Useful Post:

Not nearly in the same class, but I had an Atos I used to drive to work and back. Twice it started smoking so badly I thought: This is it, time to do the motor. It was so bad I couldn't see the car behind me. The first time was on the Franschoek pass, but by the time I reached the bottom, the smoke was gone. Did the same thing a while later. Sold the vehicle to my mechanic. Did it twice with him as well. Still a mystery...
    2011 Honda CRV 2.4
    2012 Fiat Panda 1200

Quote Originally Posted by faniedup View Post
    It needs the turbo return pipe mod, there was a bulletin out by LR, but they did not recall, just did if there was complaints.

The oil pool up in the second turbo and when you accelerate past 2800 rpm and the second turbo kicks in, it burns the oil. More annoying than being a problem. Mine does it as well and will have the pipe mod dun sometime during a service.

yep, turbo pipe mod needs to be done.
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Orxy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RPiet View Post
    There is a difference between white smoke and steam. Head gasket cracked with steam out the exhaust is normally distinguishable from smoke. And if the head is cracked and it's steaming out the exhaust, you would also notice the loss of coolant, and have other noticeable symptoms.

Oil blowing past the rings or getting into the inlet through the turbo will smoke white.

Overfeulimg will smoke dark grey or black.

Clogged dpfs and cats will also smoke white when they burn off the sulphur soot.

If two independent workshops have confirmed a blocked turbo drain pipe, then that is where I would start. If the turbo can't drain properly, as the oil pressure builds, it will push last the seals and into the inlet, causing the white smoke.
    Thanks, that is where we started, as the indy we took it to did replace the drain pipe but we still have the same problem. Hence the post unfortunately.
    2009 Freelander SE TD4

Thanks very much, will look into this.
    2009 Freelander SE TD4

Quote Originally Posted by TKCruiser View Post
    Thanks, that is where we started, as the indy we took it to did replace the drain pipe but we still have the same problem. Hence the post unfortunately.
    Did he replace with same pipe? Which side turbo did he replace the pipe on? Mod is to the drivers side turbo

This is correct.LR only does the mod on problem cars.They fit a second drain pipe.My FFRR has the same turbo system as the D4,with the same results.My car has not had the problem.
    2012 RR TDV8 4.4
    2006 TDV6 SE A/T(Sold)
    2013 Bush Lapa Boskriek B142 met CKGR strepe
    2008 FL2 TD4 SE A/T
    1968 Renault 8 Gordini

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBob View Post
    Did he replace with same pipe? Which side turbo did he replace the pipe on? Mod is to the drivers side turbo
    Interesting,on the FFRR the problem is on the secondary turbo,that's why smoking only happens when you floor it and second turbo starts spinning!
    2012 RR TDV8 4.4
    2006 TDV6 SE A/T(Sold)
    2013 Bush Lapa Boskriek B142 met CKGR strepe
    2008 FL2 TD4 SE A/T
    1968 Renault 8 Gordini

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoFrans View Post
    Interesting,on the FFRR the problem is on the secondary turbo,that's why smoking only happens when you floor it and second turbo starts spinning!
    Same on the d4. Drivers side is the secondary one