Another Jimny Dual Battery Thread

Default Another Jimny Dual Battery Thread

Hey Guys. Sorry i know theres quite a few threads about dual battery setup for the Jimny already, but cant seem to find the answers i am looking for.

So i went for jackal products' second battery holder. To be honest i dont think this is the best buy for a few reasons:

- The welding is done poorly and already snapped off on the one corner so i reinforced it with a bracket
    - the holder for the wiper wash is really bouncy. I know people on the forum has used it as is without problem, but i dont want to take chances so i made an additional bracket that holds it down onto the chassis.
    - i dont think its the best use of space - i have seen others that look like they make better use of the space

I am fitting a CTEK Dual charger with it. The dual charger will be mounted in the vehicle at the passengers feet as I honestly cant find a decent space in the bonnet to fit this thing. Maybe with a different battery holder there would be more space. It will power an engel fridge, some ports in the console, the ARB pump which i mounted into the cars inside, and some lights inside the car and outside flood light.

I will wire the fridge to the battery on its own, the console on its own, the lights on its own, and the pump on its own. So essentially i need to push 4 wires through the chassis to the engine compartment and then the additional wires to and from the charger.

What i would like to know:

- anyone out there who successfully mounted the CTek Dual with the Jackal holder inside the engine compartment? PLEASE SHOW ME WHERE!
    - I know that the facelift model (which I have) gives you more space under the hood, and on my hunt for the best suited battery, can anyone shed light on which battery you have used? keep in mind that this holder doesnt come with a bracket so a bracket needs to be retrofitted additionally taking a bit more space. I do have the dimentions recommended by Jackal, but the problem is finding a battery with the specs without driving around the whole of Cape Town. Unfortunately the websites do not all offer all the specs i need on the battery so i thought maybe there is someone here who has used this setup and know of the ideal battery.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Another Jimny Dual Battery Thread

Self deleted
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2019/01/24 at 01:14 PM.

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by cribblekris View Post
    Hey Guys. Sorry i know theres quite a few threads about dual battery setup for the Jimny already, but cant seem to find the answers i am looking for.

So i went for jackal products' second battery holder. To be honest i dont think this is the best buy for a few reasons:

- The welding is done poorly and already snapped off on the one corner so i reinforced it with a bracket
    - the holder for the wiper wash is really bouncy. I know people on the forum has used it as is without problem, but i dont want to take chances so i made an additional bracket that holds it down onto the chassis.
    - i dont think its the best use of space - i have seen others that look like they make better use of the space

I am fitting a CTEK Dual charger with it. The dual charger will be mounted in the vehicle at the passengers feet as I honestly cant find a decent space in the bonnet to fit this thing. Maybe with a different battery holder there would be more space. It will power an engel fridge, some ports in the console, the ARB pump which i mounted into the cars inside, and some lights inside the car and outside flood light.

I will wire the fridge to the battery on its own, the console on its own, the lights on its own, and the pump on its own. So essentially i need to push 4 wires through the chassis to the engine compartment and then the additional wires to and from the charger.

What i would like to know:

- anyone out there who successfully mounted the CTek Dual with the Jackal holder inside the engine compartment? PLEASE SHOW ME WHERE!
    - I know that the facelift model (which I have) gives you more space under the hood, and on my hunt for the best suited battery, can anyone shed light on which battery you have used? keep in mind that this holder doesnt come with a bracket so a bracket needs to be retrofitted additionally taking a bit more space. I do have the dimentions recommended by Jackal, but the problem is finding a battery with the specs without driving around the whole of Cape Town. Unfortunately the websites do not all offer all the specs i need on the battery so i thought maybe there is someone here who has used this setup and know of the ideal battery.

Thanks in advance!
    Hi cribblekris. We are looking to do something similar. What mount and battery did you end up using? Happy with it all?

I have the Ctek - I would not choose to mount in the engine bay due to heat.
    This is high tech equipment. But chat to the experts.....

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Your approach to eliminating the battery from the engine compartment is wise.
    Also note the CTEK's max operating temperature is 50°C which will be exceeded in the engine bay.
    I suggest to move the whole system to the inside of the Jimny for reliability and performance purposes.

There is a reason the batteries on LR Defenders last on average much longer than other vehicles due to their battery placement under the seat. The battery will also usually experience less vibrations when moved to the middle of the vehicle (on a SFA 4x4) resulting in a longer life span.

In terms of choosing the right battery. I would consider a semi deep cycle battery opposed to a normal deep cycle battery that will require quite some time to charge up to a full 100%. Your driving trips and solar generation won't charge the battery for a long enough period.

Happy Zookin'
    (SUPERCHARGED ZOMBIE ZOOK)
    (DEFENDER 130 300HP V8 "MR PUGLY")
    (LC 80 VX 1HDFT TOURER)

--->YouTube channel<---
    Hendri Mouton (Zombie)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandboarder For This Useful Post: