March/April 2019 Nam trip plan

Default March/April 2019 Nam trip plan

Hi all,

My upcoming trip itinerary/plan:

19/03: Depart Jozi, stay at Monate Lodge (near Upington)
    20/03: Canyon Road House
    21/03: Hobas camp
    22/03: Luderitz (most likely not camp due to reports of the wind being too much)
    23-24/03: Sesriem Camp (Sossusvlei) (Attempting to Book - awaiting reply)
    25/03: Spreetshoogte camp (Inquired)
    26/03: Namib Valley 1000 hills (Booked - Small deposit paid)
    27/03: Rooiklip Camp (Inquired)
    28/03: Walvis (potentially somewhere prior to walvis)
    29/03 - 01/04: Swakopmund Backpackers - tour the sites all around the area (Inquired)
    01-03/04: ?? Potentially Henties Bay area
    04-05/04: Spitzkoppe rest camp (Booked - about to be paid)
    06/04: Ugab River Rhino Camp (Inquired)
    07/04 - 16/04: F**K knows, wing it! (actually, I plan to do divorce pass if it is safe to do so, Doros crater, Organ pipes region, Mowani Mountain camp, Petrified forest, and what ever else I find out there. Tips for the region would be great)
    16-17/04: Okaukuejo camp - Etosha (Booked - Paid)
    18-19/04: Halali camp - Etosha (Booked - Paid)
    20/04:Potentially Hamakari guest farm, or somewhere in between Etosha and Windhoek (advice on this area would be appreciated!)
    21/04: Windhoek (Visiting a uni mate - staying at his)
    22/04: Buitepos area near border of Bots (potentially Zelda Camp)
    23-26/04: Farm in Ghanzi (Uncle's)
    27-30/4: IF any space available in Kglagadi TNP (Bots side) - Else more time on the farm and slow drive to gabs to visit family
    1-3/05: Make my way to jozi area to store vehicle and fly back overseas to work.

A big thanks to Haboob (Edge) for being a huge help with info on Nam and sending me tons of routes and camps. A huge help and it is truly appreciated.

Any advise/tips/suggestions will be appreciated!

I will be doing it on my own mostly (unless I fall in love with a German girl in Swakop and she joins me - crazier things have happened!), in my 100 series Land cruiser, RTT, fridge, solar, water, the works for the bush.

Also - idea on permits? I heard I could get them in Sesriem, is this still the case? Can I buy for many parks over a long period or do I need to give them specific dates ill be in a certain place?

And Nam $ : is rand truly accepted all over or is it more like other African countries where they "accept" the money but you get screwed with rates? Or is it truly interchangeable with the Rand?

Thanks all!
    2002 LC 100VX 4.2TD - Frank the Tank [Current]

2002 SWB Pajero 3.5 GDI [5 Years in SACPE getting treated like hell - not a happy customer];
    2000 Suzuki Jimny [Sold]

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gman_ZA For This Useful Post:

Default Re: March/April 2019 Nam trip plan

Quote Originally Posted by Gman_ZA View Post
    Hi all,

22/03: Luderitz (most likely not camp due to reports of the wind being too much)
    29/03 - 01/04: Swakopmund Backpackers - tour the sites all around the area (Inquired)
    07/04 - 16/04: F**K knows, wing it! (actually, I plan to do divorce pass if it is safe to do so, Doros crater, Organ pipes region, Mowani Mountain camp, Petrified forest, and what ever else I find out there. Tips for the region would be great)
    20/04:Potentially Hamakari guest farm, or somewhere in between Etosha and Windhoek (advice on this area would be appreciated!)
    27-30/4: IF any space available in Kglagadi TNP (Bots side) - Else more time on the farm and slow drive to gabs to visit family
    1-3/05: Make my way to jozi area to store vehicle and fly back overseas to work.

A big thanks to Haboob (Edge) for being a huge help with info on Nam and sending me tons of routes and camps. A huge help and it is truly appreciated.

I will be doing it on my own mostly (unless I fall in love with a German girl in Swakop and she joins me - crazier things have happened!), in my 100 series Land cruiser, RTT, fridge, solar, water, the works for the bush.

Also - idea on permits? I heard I could get them in Sesriem, is this still the case? Can I buy for many parks over a long period or do I need to give them specific dates ill be in a certain place?

And Nam $ : is rand truly accepted all over or is it more like other African countries where they "accept" the money but you get screwed with rates? Or is it truly interchangeable with the Rand?

Thanks all!
    A seriously hectic schedule!!

Will leave it up to the fundi's in Nam to advise on your itenary.

Take Rands, nowhere can they inflate the exchange rate as the Nam $ is equivalent to the Rand and generally accepted anywhere. Loads of ATMs around too, so getting cash shouldnt be a problerm at all.

Good luck with finding a German girl, your chances are probably better bumping into a Swede or Norwegian
    Toyota Hilux 2.4 GD6 D/Cab 4x4

Thanks Caracal,

Yes I originally had Epupa too, trying to trim it down. The distances other than the first day arent bad though, always around 100/150 km on average. And my camp takes about 5 Min to set up from arrival until cold beer in the hand, so the constant moving doesn't bother me at all (6-7min to pack it all up). The quick pitch RTT is a game changer!

I have nothing against the swedes or Norwegians, and will happily entertain those ideas too

Anything to get the folks off my back about coming to Christmas yet again with no GF, and the chat about grandchildren!!

2002 SWB Pajero 3.5 GDI [5 Years in SACPE getting treated like hell - not a happy customer];
    2000 Suzuki Jimny [Sold]

The Permits you can get for a specific place on a specific date, like the Naukluft Park and all the camp sites. You just get a permit to drive/camp in the Naukluft Park, which is about R66,00 p/p/p/d (It could be a bit more now, but reasonable), so for as many days as you want to drive there, you purchase the permit to cover the days that you will be in the Park, and covers the camping. This covers the whole park and all the camp sites referred in there. You do not need to specify a specific camp.

You can pay anywhere in Rands, but you will get Namibian change, which you must spend before leaving Namibia, as it will not be accepted anywhere else. We fill up with fuel before leaving and use as much as we can while traveling in Namibia, even buying food and snacks with change on our way out...

Just remember, our girls are used to tourists from all over as we are quite the tourist hub of Namibia, so you have to bring your A game...
    -

Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto
    (Tough Dog Suspension / Frontrunner Roofrack and some more goodies...)

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
    Just remember, our girls are used to tourists from all over as we are quite the tourist hub of Namibia, so you have to bring your A game...

Sniper, I appreciate the heads up, but I am all talk, no game - anyone keen to bundu bash into the wild and have beers with me around a camp fire are welcome.

2000 Suzuki Jimny [Sold]

Rather do some dune driving.... much safer

Hi all,

Thanks all!
    Wow what a great trip you have planned. We have an ambitious trip planned for June (Zim-Nam) but I think you have our total mileage beaten - think ours is approx 6000km without game drives!

Quote Originally Posted by Bartho View Post
    Rather do some dune driving.... much safer
    As Bartho said, ring him up when in Swakop to go for a dune trip. I'll also join, I've only been in the dunes once this year.
    -

Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto
    (Tough Dog Suspension / Frontrunner Roofrack and some more goodies...)