The story of Shrek - My T5.1 Transporter 4motion

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Default The story of Shrek - My T5.1 Transporter 4motion

OK

So I have come over to the dark side and bought a bus!! a VW Bus! 2015 132kw 4motion Transporter DSG with relatively low mileage. Even after reading some horror stories etc. Unfortunately Mitsu does not want to bring the Delica 4x4 bus to SA otherwise I would have had that, but seeing that VW is the only half baked 4x4 bus available I am going to give it a try.

I got it last week Friday and am still thinking what on earth I did, but here goes. I am not sure this is an "upgrade" from my older but very reliable and much loved Pajero, but definitely a "different" direction. . I have been window shopping these buses for a good few years now and this one just got hooked in my claws. It is still very much a work in progress, but so far so good. I will be trying to use its 4Motion claims in its future life but so far it is doing duty as a school run and work bus.

Shrek - because it ain't pretty, but overall its got a good heart :-) . I would need to take up surfing and ad a surf board to the roof to regain some street cred, but that ain't happening soon living up in Gauteng and far away from the sea :-) . My aim would be to give it some off road cred in looks and experience, maybe something like the "swamper" look the Brits refer to, but in the mean time I am not driving close to any hospitals in the fear that I might need to pick up a patient.

I changed the tyres to Pirelli Sorpion ATR Plus with a slight oversize 235/65/17 profile since purchase. Still to make up my mind about those very "practical" rims.

Let the games begin. :-)

1. Tyres change to more All Terrain versions - Done
    1. Roofrack on order from African Outback. I like them more than Frontrunner for some reason.
    2. Racking system to be build soon to accommodate all the stuff in the back.

CATS
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Cats; 2019/01/22 at 03:34 PM.
    2015 VW Transporter T5.1 132kw 4motion DSG - (Shrek) My Bush-Bus
    2003 Safari Xplorer
    Previous : 1996 Colt Rodeo 3000 V6 (The Original! - SOLD) : 1998 Colt Rodeo 2.8Tdi (My first Diesel - SOLD) : 2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Sylvester - SOLD) : 2001 LR Defender 90 (Grizzly - Sadly SOLD) : 2010 LR Discovery 4 HSE (Snow White - SOLD) : 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS (Snoopy - SOLD but never forgotten) :2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Casper ,Old Faithfull, - SOLD)

Default Re: The story of Shrek - My T5.1 Transporter 4motion

welcome to the dark side.

Mine has evolved over time a a fantastic vehicle
    Training: 4x4, bush mechanics, recovery, defensive, 4x4 trucks
    Supply and manufacture: Recovery gear, Custom 4x4 installations and manufacturing, 4x4 equipment
    Angel Construction
    Turnkey Construction solutions [Indoor shooting ranges, safe rooms, shops and shopfitting, Rainwater harvesting, Solar]
    IP CCTV, electric Fencing, Automation, Gates, Stainless steel Fabrication
    You name it, we can probably build or manufacture it.
    COMBAT19: Large scale fogging and decontamination of coronaviruses
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Yo Cats...
    I see the Pajero is already in the classifieds... shame on you.
    Those busses are really nice vehicles to live with. Your family will love it.

Hi Cats, I am going to follow your Shrek thread with interest,.....hope you going to have lots of fun with the new VW Bus

The real Shrek is green .... will we see a wrap soon?
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

You will love it. Just keep an eye on that EGR cooler. Coolant loss will be the first sign.

If it's out of warranty, consider having the egr and it's cooler removed for peace of mind.

May Shrek give you many trouble free years of happy motoring.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtG View Post
    The real Shrek is green .... will we see a wrap soon?
    Would LOVE to do this to it eventually but I think my wife will kill me

CATS
    2003 Safari Xplorer
    Previous : 1996 Colt Rodeo 3000 V6 (The Original! - SOLD) : 1998 Colt Rodeo 2.8Tdi (My first Diesel - SOLD) : 2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Sylvester - SOLD) : 2001 LR Defender 90 (Grizzly - Sadly SOLD) : 2010 LR Discovery 4 HSE (Snow White - SOLD) : 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS (Snoopy - SOLD but never forgotten) :2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Casper ,Old Faithfull, - SOLD)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cats For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    You will love it. Just keep an eye on that EGR cooler. Coolant loss will be the first sign.

If it's out of warranty, consider having the egr and it's cooler removed for peace of mind.
    Ja, the EGR thing is scaring the living shytes out of me, but I am now in the bus so will try my utmost to skip that story.

It is out of warranty but I am not so sure the EGR and cooler can be removed on these versions of the engine as it is a combined cooler type thing which also incorporates the oilfilter etc. ??

CATS
    2003 Safari Xplorer

Quote Originally Posted by Cats View Post
    Ja, the EGR thing is scaring the living shytes out of me, but I am now in the bus so will try my utmost to skip that story.

It is out of warranty but I am not so sure the EGR and cooler can be removed on these versions of the engine as it is a combined cooler type thing which also incorporates the oilfilter etc. ??

CATS
    Rest assured. They don't fail instantly. Just check the coolant level often!

I wonder if it has a low coolant level like most VWs. I'd be very surprised if it hasn't.

Get in touch with Stephan van Tonder on the forum. He's probably your man for services and repairs in your area.

CFC engine code?.
    Cooler part no
    03L115512A

R22k from VW sometime last year. No you cannot bypass or remove it.
    Last edited by Stephan van Tonder; 2019/01/23 at 09:13 AM.
    Audi Q7 - 3l TDi - 2010 - steel suspension - wife's daily
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDI
    VW Touareg - 2009 - V6 TDI
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan van Tonder View Post
    CFC engine code?.
    Cooler part no
    03L115512A

Ouch - As I read it the final verdict is still unsure if this is the culprit in some of these CFCA engines destroying themselves. I will hold thumbs and check oil and coolant levels like a hawk.

Lets talk about nicer things. Stephan do you have access to some VW stuff since you are quoting part numbers etc? I am trying to get the black wheel arch trim as seen on the green bus picture that I posted earlier in this thread. Where do I source something like that in SA? Will VW SA have? What is the part number? Did it ever come as standard on any SA busses so I can start searching at scrapyards? If VWSA do sell them I suppose it will be complete kidney removal prices if I look at what they quoted me for VW Transporter rims. Or would you maybe be in a position to assist in importing something like that from a supplier overseas like the Land Rover guys do?

CATS
    2003 Safari Xplorer

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan van Tonder View Post
    CFC engine code?.
    Cooler part no
    03L115512A

I'm sure an engineering shop can make a bypass and a mapper reflash it for less than R22k.

Is it not the same as the amarok then?

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    I'm sure an engineering shop can make a bypass and a mapper reflash it for less than R22k.

Is it not the same as the amarok then?
    That looks very different to the Amarok. I see you do get blank off plates for the exhaust routing on that cooler, so this will save you costly engine damage from water ingestion.
    I have now done many Amarok EGR deletes, and at this stage looks like writing it out of the software is not needed as no error light has come on.
    2012 Bi Turbo 4Motion, on Bilsteins with a 50mm suspension lift and 20mm body lift. 76mm pipe and software.

You can still blank the EGR exhaust side with plates but you cannot remove that unit as it has the oil filter and water channels so if it starts pissing water externally (which we have found one last year) your only choice is to replace it. It is now EGR and oil heat exchanger integrated in one.
    It is very different to amarok.

Use this place for VW part numbers and look for what you need. No I don't have special contacts at VW for better prices on parts. Suffer their pricing like everybody else.
    https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/za/

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephan van Tonder For This Useful Post:

Not 100% sure how different the EGR is between the bus and an Amarok but the Amarok blanking kit is available from VagSpecCentre and they do the related software as well.
    Darryn Van Rooyen
    2014 D/C Amarok 4Motion H/L Auto - 76mm Decat Downpipe and Revo Stage 1 Tune
    Current: 1987 Citi Sport 1.6

Darren it's not the blanking or coding that is the issue. The issue is if it leaks water then you can't simply ommit it like before. VW has gone to a lot of trouble to make that impossible.

Did some research, and may have a workable solution here. One can remove the complete unit off the bus and replace it with the Amarok oil filter housing and filter. The gasket that attaches to the block as well as the oil cooler has the same part number between the Amarok and Transporter.
    I will get a price from VW for all the parts needed to do this modification.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D35AB4B5-B493-4197-AF92-8C4F28B1E831.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	517269   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BF603F81-F291-44BC-895B-2DB81EFDA08C.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	517270  
    2012 Bi Turbo 4Motion, on Bilsteins with a 50mm suspension lift and 20mm body lift. 76mm pipe and software.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JohnBoy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    Not 100% sure how different the EGR is between the bus and an Amarok but the Amarok blanking kit is available from VagSpecCentre and they do the related software as well.
    I also do EGR delete kits, with the required software update to write it out the system. Have recently done an experiment of removing the cooler and blanking without software, and we are a week in on 2 vehicles with no error lights or limp mode.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnBoy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBoy View Post
    Did some research, and may have a workable solution here. One can remove the complete unit off the bus and replace it with the Amarok oil filter housing and filter. The gasket that attaches to the block as well as the oil cooler has the same part number between the Amarok and Transporter.
    I will get a price from VW for all the parts needed to do this modification.
    Good fine. Definitely an option should the time come I'd say. Should be a cheaper part as well. Maybe even from a breaker/engine yard.

Just love these kind of threads...so much to learn

25. The Following User Says Thank You to veedub For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast