The story of Shrek - My T5.1 Transporter 4motion - Page 9

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Default Re: The story of Shrek - My T5.1 Transporter 4motion

Quote Originally Posted by KlevaSani View Post
    I don't have a lot of cash, so been building my old klunker up slowly (came with 300k on it already and well used - but that at least made it affordable to me), but since I don't have to worry about kids we can use the whole of the LWB as a decent sized single/double bed on a homemade aluminium frame, with everything stored underneath (or if single bed then motorbike can go inside too). Made up a full 500W of Solar Panels (300W permanently fitted, 200W portable) and 4 x 100Ah batteries, so never have to worry about power, even have a invertor in case we need to run something on 220VAC (like laptop). Another decent thing I added was a permanent Hauwei LTE Wifi router, so we have decent Internet almost everywhere we travel (saving up for a new pyonting directional aerial that will be on a pivoting 3m pole on the roof for those slightly borderline signals).
    That is some decent mileage on there! What year model and engine do you have fitted? I am still worried about the longevity of my 2.0 Bitdi engine but can't fault it thus far.

You have some serious Watts there! Can light a small city! I also have a solar panel that I still need to fit but it is just a tad to big in physical size to my liking. I think I will look out for a more modern smaller size unit secondhand somewhere. I have also added some creature comforts to mine since my last update like wi-fi router and inverter. Crazy that one tend to put these tech stuff in a vehicle supposedly to get "out there" and "away from it all", but it is what it is.

I will take some updated pics this weekend of Shrek and the progress made to fit it out for my purpose and also update my thread a bit.

CATS
    2015 VW Transporter T5.1 132kw 4motion DSG - (Shrek) My Bush-Bus
    2003 Safari Xplorer
    Previous : 1996 Colt Rodeo 3000 V6 (The Original! - SOLD) : 1998 Colt Rodeo 2.8Tdi (My first Diesel - SOLD) : 2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Sylvester - SOLD) : 2001 LR Defender 90 (Grizzly - Sadly SOLD) : 2010 LR Discovery 4 HSE (Snow White - SOLD) : 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS (Snoopy - SOLD but never forgotten) :2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Casper ,Old Faithfull, - SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Cats View Post
    That is some decent mileage on there! What year model and engine do you have fitted? I am still worried about the longevity of my 2.0 Bitdi engine but can't fault it thus far.
    It's a 2006 2.5. Engine and is strong, but really swear at various electronic issues all the time. Don't think I have gone a week in the last 3 years of ownership without some light on the dashboard showing up at odd times... Diff lights, ABS light, just the Engine light by itself, now Alternator... But stick it on the machine at the workshop and it says nothing wrong? VW also haven't made fuse access all that easy either sometimes, still do not get the logic of placing a fusebox and the computer box directly under the battery.

Even with those bitches and moans above, love it

Quote Originally Posted by Craigie View Post
    Hey Cats,

Steel rims, whilst they might not be as nice to look at, are stronger and I recommend keeping them.

I put a larger tire on my existing rim (also upgraded the suspension) in order to get more ground clearance. I am happy with the improvements but the spare tire now only fits under the vehicle if it is deflated, so be careful about changing the rim / tire size.

Hi Craigie

What size tires you put on your bus, and the suspension lift, is that the Seikel one, By how much did it lift your Bus?

Cheers
    Pepe
    Pepe Kleinhans
    VW Caravelle T5 4-Motion
    KTM 520 EXC and BMW R1250 GSA

Pepe

It would be very easy to keep the seats and make a bed. My packing system is actually build to be able to not use the top parts and then it will leave me with a reasonable flat area right from the rear to the front that one can sleep on. The seats fold flat and if you take the headrest of and turn then around to point upwards they make for a decent bed. If you put a thin mattress on there I think it will be pretty decent to sleep on. But if you really want to do the camper thing it would be better to take the seats out and build seats that fold differently and utilize the space available underneath better.

CATS
    Thanks CATS

I have seen some very good ideas on the internet, and me and a Friend is working on idea, how to use the current beanch seat, make a new frame for it, and let it change into a bed

Go and have a look at this website, this is my plan
    http://www.newwavecustomconversions.co.uk/rib-stock/

I like what you done to your bus, I will put some pics of my bus on once I am back home again

Cheers
    Pepe
    Pepe Kleinhans
    VW Caravelle T5 4-Motion
    KTM 520 EXC and BMW R1250 GSA

Ok. Some update time.

I finaly connected up my compressor to pump tyres when deflating tyres or just pump some bicycle tyres. Connected it all through a central fuse box and then relay and switch. Also connected another wire and switch so long which I want to connect to some floodlights on the roofrack later.

CATS
    2003 Safari Xplorer
    Previous : 1996 Colt Rodeo 3000 V6 (The Original! - SOLD) : 1998 Colt Rodeo 2.8Tdi (My first Diesel - SOLD) : 2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Sylvester - SOLD) : 2001 LR Defender 90 (Grizzly - Sadly SOLD) : 2010 LR Discovery 4 HSE (Snow White - SOLD) : 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS (Snoopy - SOLD but never forgotten) :2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Casper ,Old Faithfull, - SOLD)

Also used the leftover carpet that I used to cover the shelving system in the back to put inside the front door pockets to keep things in there a bit cushioned and remove some noise. I just cut some templates on paper and then copied on the carpet. Easy peasy. Been wanting to do it for a while now and it was so quick and easy can't think why it took me so long.

I think it came out pretty good and ups the luxury feel a bit in the Transporter.

CATS
    2003 Safari Xplorer

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cats For This Useful Post:

Yesterday, in anticipation of fathers day I spent some time alone in my mancave and fitted these old fog lights on the roofrack. They are great when traveling in convoy or very dusty roads as they act as a warning to oncoming traffic. They also work well when driving in tall grass.

Currently they are still dummies as I still need to wire them up.

My only worry is that the bushbus is starting to look more like an ambulance :-)

CATS
    2003 Safari Xplorer

Looks like that part is not available as a loose unit in SA, anywhere. Can get through import but that will take more than a week which I am not willing to wait.
    VW charge R3200 for complete mirror without mirror top cap. They can get for me delivered tomorrow. Goldwagen dont sell this mirror or the aluminium part I need.
    Also got OnlineCarParts.co.za on Gumtree who reckon they have new pirate part complete mirror for R1995. They will also deliver tomorrow. Thinking of going that route although don't like paying money into the air like this. Anybody used them before maybe?

CATS
    My brothers wing mirror broke off exactly like that, he reversed into a wall.
    I managed to fix it within an hour.
    Bought a brass nipple 15 x 100 , sanded on a disc sander to have two flat sides, pushed it through the inner bush , , used a reducing bush on the one side and a back nut on the other and voila, R 122.00, and all well.
    Remove the wing mirror from the inside , use the reducing bush on the car side , and the brass nut on the outer side, only clip off the top wing mirror cover only.
    Tighten and place the mirror back.
    Only con, is if you hit something again is not going to break off so easily, might have more damage.
    But R122.00 vs R 7000.00 for now, no brainer
    Can post pics, just dont have cable at the moment for phone
    Last edited by Koos Best; 2019/06/19 at 03:20 PM.
    Koos Best
    Land Rover Discovery3 TDV6 S.
    VW T5 D/cab 4 Motion with slide on camper

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koos Best For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Koos Best View Post
    My brothers wing mirror broke off exactly like that, he reversed into a wall.
    I managed to fix it within an hour.
    Bought a brass nipple 15 x 100 , sanded on a disc sander to have two flat sides, pushed it through the inner bush , , used a reducing bush on the one side and a back nut on the other and voila, R 122.00, and all well.
    Remove the wing mirror from the inside , use the reducing bush on the car side , and the brass nut on the outer side, only clip off the top wing mirror cover only.
    Tighten and place the mirror back.
    Only con, is if you hit something again is not going to break off so easily, might have more damage.
    But R122.00 vs R 7000.00 for now, no brainer
    Can post pics, just dont have cable at the moment for phone
    Yip, pictures please!!

The brass nipple is 100 mm long, it needs no cutting, only sanding the the two sides flat , to stick into the broken inner shaft of the wing mirror.

Firstly , remove the top cover of the wing mirror, it unclips
    Remove the the 3 torque screws on the inside of the door , it is exposed, no need to remove door card.Somebody must hold the mirror otherwise it will fall
    Cut the 3 x small wires and disconnect the demisting wires on the wing mirror
    After sanding down to size, push it through the broken inner shaft, use it just like it is broken
    Put the reducing bush on the inner part, it fits like a glove, and the nut on the outer side , and tighten.
    Push the wires through and reconnect.
    Bolt back onto car , check the electrics via the mirror switches, and clip the top part onto the wing mirrors
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190620_131605[2].jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	211.5 KB 
ID:	531576   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190619_134352[1].jpg 
Size:	377.7 KB 
ID:	531577   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190619_134349[1].jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	217.0 KB 
ID:	531578   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190619_134404[1].jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	230.7 KB 
ID:	531581   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190619_134413[1].jpg 
Size:	180.9 KB 
ID:	531582   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190619_140216[1].jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	227.5 KB 
ID:	531583  
    Koos Best

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koos Best For This Useful Post:

Awesome fix, almost back to OEM but better!

What is the thread brass pipe and nuts normally used for and where can they be bought?
    Last edited by Skylark; 2019/06/20 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    Awesome fix, almost back to OEM but better!

What is the thread brass pipe and nuts normally used for and where can they be bought?
    Bought it all from a hardware store, plumbing section.
    Koos Best

Yesterday, in anticipation of fathers day I spent some time alone in my mancave and fitted these old fog lights on the roofrack. They are great when traveling in convoy or very dusty roads as they act as a warning to oncoming traffic. They also work well when driving in tall grass.

Currently they are still dummies as I still need to wire them up.

My only worry is that the bushbus is starting to look more like an ambulance :-)

CATS
    Lights on a roof rack (in fact, any higher than the bonnet's opening line or behind the original headlights) are illegal.

The cops are entitled to remove your licence disc if they stop you with illegally fitted lamps and the only way to take your vehicle away under such circumstances is on the back of a flatbed truck. Passing a roadworthy test will be required to get your disc back

Imagine this happened 500km from home!

Even if not connected, or have no globes in, just having them fitted is illegal.

The older Nissan X-Trail was homologated with such roof lights. You cannot fit globes in these nor are there wires to these lights, so the X-Trail is the only exception.......
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2019/06/20 at 10:16 PM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II for personal camping
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

Thanks mvcoller

Maybe I will take them off then.

CATS
    Last edited by Cats; 2019/06/20 at 10:29 PM.
    2003 Safari Xplorer

Quote Originally Posted by Koos Best View Post
    The brass nipple is 100 mm long, it needs no cutting, only sanding the the two sides flat , to stick into the broken inner shaft of the wing mirror.

Firstly , remove the top cover of the wing mirror, it unclips
    Remove the the 3 torque screws on the inside of the door , it is exposed, no need to remove door card.Somebody must hold the mirror otherwise it will fall
    Cut the 3 x small wires and disconnect the demisting wires on the wing mirror
    After sanding down to size, push it through the broken inner shaft, use it just like it is broken
    Put the reducing bush on the inner part, it fits like a glove, and the nut on the outer side , and tighten.
    Push the wires through and reconnect.
    Bolt back onto car , check the electrics via the mirror switches, and clip the top part onto the wing mirrors
    Great! Boer maak 'n (goeie) plan!

So my next service is coming along soon. 75000kms.

What should be done on this service? Is it oil and filter only?

Still not sure if I am going to do dealer service or independent. Shrek is out of warantee and I bought no extended warantee when I bought him at 61000kms so nothing really forcing me to go dealer, except the full dealer service record up till now. Maybe will stick to dealer untill 100000kms like all my previous vehicles?

Also I am still, maybe 'over', thinking this whole EGR cooler replacement, removal, block off thing. At this stage leaning heavily to just block off EGR and keeping cooler as is, but worried that if the cooler part is indeed deteriorating inside, as Google reports seem to point at, that it will eventually break up completely and stuff up the engine through the water channels in any case. The EGR part is Water cooled and not Oil cooled, right?

So far I topped up oil with one pint recently, which I think was not actually needed as it was still within dipstick limits, so don't think it is using any oil excessively. Still want to do oil analysis one day.

Thoughts from any T5 bus owners experts?

CATS
    2003 Safari Xplorer

Friend of mine used these folks down the road from us recently and was really impressed - drove all the way from Parys to have his Crew Transporter serviced there:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Martinj; 2019/07/21 at 09:17 AM.

Hi Cats.

I have a 2014 T5 and it looks exactly like yours on the first photo at the start of this thread.

Does your van have cruise control? I so wish mine did...

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Klappertjie View Post
    Hi Cats.

I have a 2014 T5 and it looks exactly like yours on the first photo at the start of this thread.

Does your van have cruise control? I so wish mine did...

Cheers
    Hi Klappertjie

Yes mine does have cruise control. It is an aftermarket factory approved system if I look at the booklets I got with the car. It actually works really well. Just wish I could drive more open roads with the bus rather than city traffic to have use of it more often :-(

CATS
    2003 Safari Xplorer

Thanks Cats.

I've been looking into this and I think I'm going to go with a DIY option. http://www.vag-shop.co.uk/ sell a Cruise Control and MFD kit. Once fitted the vehicle will need to be programmed with VDCS Software.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast