Darwin's aim is a bit out... - Page 5

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Default Re: Darwin's aim is a bit out...

Quote Originally Posted by Oppies3800 View Post
    Screenshot from the video
    Yellow Porsche according to Netwerk24. With a video from inside the Porsche.
    Kobus

Quote Originally Posted by KobusDJ View Post
    Yellow Porsche according to Netwerk24. With a video from inside the Porsche.
    I am not arguing...

I've been called colour blind before
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

Quote Originally Posted by 4xhilux View Post
    On another note - based on the photo on News24 it is amazing to see how well the BMW held up.
    There was no frontal impact, otherwise it would have been torn apart.

On a side note - these cars must be extensively modified. As an ex Hayabusa X1R owner I still believe hyperbikes is the fastest street legal vehicles and to race them you need super cars or highly modified cars.
    My name is Rainier and I drive a Frotuna.

Why are you always in such a bad mood? Experience...

Quote Originally Posted by Oppies3800 View Post
    I've been called colour blind before
    I'm sure you have been called worse...
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

Quote Originally Posted by Kooskop View Post
    I'm sure you have been called worse...
    Colour blind has been the nicest name I've been called
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

Quote Originally Posted by pwgg View Post
    some guy in JHB just gave his son a Porsche for passing matric. Hope he sends him to an advanced driving school or governs it to 100km/hr.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrusselSprout View Post
    No amount of advanced driving lessons is going to help in a situation like that.
    Some interesting comments and perceptions ....

I know a gent that takes part in these races. Middle age man !! "racing" is not only linked to age.

I also know a "kid" that grew up in a wealthy family, but who was taught responsible behaviour from day one. He drives his day Cayenne better (more responsibly) than other kids drive typical student cars.

I recall a member on this forum that bought his son a Ford ST when he finished school ... kid happens to be TRACK racing champ already, and according to his dad a responsible driver on the road.

Sad reality is a "boy racer" will be a boy racer, irrespective of the type of car .... just so happens that in a faster car the damage is more ....

PS - all that said, I wont buy a kid such an expensive vehicle ... the satistics simply are not in their favour ....

Quote Originally Posted by supersunbird View Post
    More like a common road suggestion, we need to see such a law actually in the NRTA, but I don't see it, thus it can't be a law.
    Where did you get your driver's licence?

Regulation 323
    (5)
    “Where the driver of a motor vehicle which is being driven in the right-hand traffic lane or in the traffic lane furthest to the right on a freeway (hereinafter referred to as the first vehicle) becomes aware that the driver of another motor vehicle (hereinafter referred to as the second vehicle) intends to overtake the first vehicle, the driver of the first vehicle shall steer that vehicle to a lane to the left of the one in which he or she is driving, without endangering himself or herself or other traffic or property on the freeway, and shall not accelerate the speed of his or her vehicle until the second vehicle has passed.”

(6)
    “For the purposes of subregulation (5) the driver of the second vehicle may make the driver of the first vehicle aware that he or she intends to overtake the first vehicle by giving the driver thereof a visible signal by means of flashing the headlights of his or her vehicle.”
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Olyfboer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by supersunbird View Post
    It's the law that you should move over to a lefter lane, if clear and safe to do so, if someone flashes their lights at you.

http://thornton.co.za/resources/National Road Traffic Act & Regulations.pdf
    Yup , I use my lights a LOT. Sadly many of them doesn't seem to know this law at all and is more than often met with some sort of sign language rather than any movement to the left lane.
    Audi Q7 - 3l TDi - 2010 - steel suspension - wife's daily
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDI
    VW Touareg - 2009 - V6 TDI
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephan van Tonder For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan van Tonder View Post
    Yup , I use my lights a LOT. Sadly many of them doesn't seem to know this law at all and is more than often met with some sort of sign language rather than any movement to the left lane.
    Well, half the forum members dont even know "it is law" to keep left ..

And flashing lights may well unleash a road rage incident ....

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elders For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    Some interesting comments and perceptions ....

I know a gent that takes part in these races. Middle age man !! "racing" is not only linked to age.

I also know a "kid" that grew up in a wealthy family, but who was taught responsible behaviour from day one. He drives his day Cayenne better (more responsibly) than other kids drive typical student cars.

I recall a member on this forum that bought his son a Ford ST when he finished school ... kid happens to be TRACK racing champ already, and according to his dad a responsible driver on the road.

Sad reality is a "boy racer" will be a boy racer, irrespective of the type of car .... just so happens that in a faster car the damage is more ....

PS - all that said, I wont buy a kid such an expensive vehicle ... the satistics simply are not in their favour ....
    Put that same kid (no disrespect to his track racing talents) in a car doing 300kph and jerk the steering wheel with 3 lanes (car in the middle lane, one lane each side - like the situation in the incident), not enough space, not enough time... track racing champ or not - he will also see his @ss.

I used to do a lot of track days (less so these days) and I've done many advanced driving/skid pan/dynamic control courses... nothing can prepare you for that. You never come close to that speed on a track.

If you want to race - take it to a track and do it safely (and legally).

(ps.. A Cayenne is a tarted up Toureg... maybe you mean Cayman?)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BrusselSprout For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Olyfboer View Post

Regulation 323
    (5)
    “Where the driver of a motor vehicle which is being driven in the right-hand traffic lane or in the traffic lane furthest to the right on a freeway (hereinafter referred to as the first vehicle) becomes aware that the driver of another motor vehicle (hereinafter referred to as the second vehicle) intends to overtake the first vehicle, the driver of the first vehicle shall steer that vehicle to a lane to the left of the one in which he or she is driving, without endangering himself or herself or other traffic or property on the freeway, and shall not accelerate the speed of his or her vehicle until the second vehicle has passed.”

(6)
    “For the purposes of subregulation (5) the driver of the second vehicle may make the driver of the first vehicle aware that he or she intends to overtake the first vehicle by giving the driver thereof a visible signal by means of flashing the headlights of his or her vehicle.”
    I rest my case and stick to my original comment.
    2007 Colt Rodeo 3000I V6 D/C 4x4
    Dual battery system
    57 mm freeflow system
    General Grabber AT3's
    Challenger Bundu Basher Off-road trailer aka Bos Parra

Regulation 323
    (5)

(6)
    Don't try and convince me by quoting things I posted on post #69 as follows:

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn777 View Post
    ....and then people are still driving on one's ass while you're already driving at the speed limit. Doing 100km/h in the right-hand lane on the M1 in JHB and idiots still come from behind flashing and throwing all sorts of hand signs. Who the hell do these people think they are? Ignoring the law and putting innocent drivers in danger?
    It's the law that you should move over to a lefter lane, if clear and safe to do so, if someone flashes their lights at you.

http://thornton.co.za/resources/National Road Traffic Act & Regulations.pdf

Regulation 323
    (5)

(6)
    Show me anywhere in there where is says what is in effect "stay in the left most lane possible at all times, unless overtaking" (aka keep left pass right). It DOES say you must move to a lefter lane, or keep to the left of your single lane road, if safe to do so, if you are aware someone wants to overtake you, and how they can signal their intent to overtake.

You can overtake on the left if you want to, no law against that either, just a bit riskier, and a bigger blind spot area.

Regulation 323
    (5)

(6)
    I think you've missed supersunbird's point... he quoted that already. He was saying that there is no law that says you MUST STAY LEFT.
    Last edited by SimonB; 2019/01/23 at 02:08 PM.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to SimonB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan van Tonder View Post
    It is basically because of people like you that just speed and flash lights without being in an real emergency that make the rest of the road users feel squat for people flashing their lights.

Unless you're doctor or a very un lucky person with plenty of emergencies, then except my apology.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.

That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JCMostert For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
    I think you've missed supersunbird's point... he quoted that already. He was saying that there is no law that says you MUST STAY LEFT.
    There is. It's the first basic rule of the road. Keep left pass right.
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
    I rest my case and stick to my original comment.
    That quoted road regulations do not support your comment, did you even read it?
    Last edited by supersunbird; 2019/01/23 at 02:16 PM.

Where is the rule codified into law, or is it indeed as I stated, only a common recommendation?

Here, have fun looking for it, I couldn't find it, but maybe I'm lacking in same way:
    http://thornton.co.za/resources/Nati...egulations.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by simonb View Post
    i think you've missed supersunbird's point... He quoted that already. He was saying that there is no law that says you must stay left.
    national road traffic act 93 of 1996

296. Vehicle to be driven on left side of roadway
    (1) any person driving a vehicle on a public road shall do so by driving on the left side of the
    roadway and, where such roadway is of sufficient width, in such manner as not to encroach on that
    half of the roadway to his or her right: Provided that such encroachment shall be permissible—
    (a) where it can be done without obstructing or endangering other traffic or property
    which is or may be on such half and for a period and distance not longer than is
    necessary and prudent and provided that it is not prohibited by a road traffic sign; or
    (b) in compliance with a direction of a traffic officer or a road traffic sign.
    (2) the provisions of subregulation (1) shall not apply in the case of a public road which is
    restricted to traffic moving thereon in one direction only.
    Last edited by 4eTouareg; 2019/01/23 at 02:28 PM.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4eTouareg For This Useful Post:

Rule in common sense, yes, but it's NOT WRITTEN IN LAW.

Also show me where in the traffic fines book, that there is an offence for driving in the right hand lane. The only one is this:

NRTR 2000Reg 298(3)r/w sec 89Failing to keep left uponbecoming aware that othertraffic wishes to pass. (R1000)
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Quote Originally Posted by 4eTouareg View Post
    national road traffic act 93 of 1996
    Seems to be lacking any clarity on multi-lane roads.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast