Discovery 4 Buying a disco 4 TDV6 - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Buying a disco 4 TDV6

Quote Originally Posted by Oppies3800 View Post
    Ah hell.. This again.

I was called a troll when I mentioned the crank and I did not own a Disco.

Now I'm called a troll when I mention the crank and I do own a Disco.

Just can't win
    You donít have the right disco

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Lol, who said they can't be fixed? Either way, I'm glad you live in a virtual world where only LRs break. Enjoy it there; real life is different.

Oh ok, I get it , your local Toyota indie has a few cruisers awaiting servicing or repairs .

I misunderstood, thought you meant they were there awaiting major work , new sub assy, major engine rebuilds.

Thanks for clarifying.

Quote Originally Posted by tashtego9 View Post
    Oh ok, I get it , your local Toyota indie has a few cruisers awaiting servicing or repairs .

I misunderstood, thought you meant they were there awaiting major work , new sub assy, major engine rebuilds.

Thanks for clarifying.
    Yes, there you go. Nothing wrong, just a checkup service. Nothing broken. Nothing to fix
    Happy now?
    All the Landies standing at the indie are there for massive repair work. Just the way it is man
    Some car, some bike and two legs

My drive-by-eye-analysis system unfortunately didn't work, enroute to have my sub-assembly changed, so I couldn't analyze their problems while just looking at them. As hcs say, they're probably just there for a oil top-op or something.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

OdM

Quote Originally Posted by hcs View Post
    Yes, there you go. Nothing wrong, just a checkup service. Nothing broken. Nothing to fix
    Happy now?
    All the Landies standing at the indie are there for massive repair work. Just the way it is man
    NE , awaiting new motors after there owners took them for a swim in the local dam
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cor View Post
    NE , awaiting new motors after there owners took them for a swim in the local dam
    Cruiser - not Hilux. Hilux owners like taking them swimming
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

Andrť Opperman

I took my bike swimming, does that count too?

General toyota response , it cant break send me a photo , proof it , must be general maintenance , IT CAN SWIM
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cor View Post
    General toyota response , it cant break send me a photo , proof it , must be general maintenance , IT CAN SWIM
    I had a Hilux... Left me next to the road once. Fuel pump packed up. 1986 model. Was original pump.

R386 fix.

Landy left me three times, but I drove it home. Headgasket
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

Andrť Opperman

I had a Hilux... Left me next to the road once. Fuel pump packed up. 1986 model. Was original pump.

R386 fix.

Well.. it can happen. My previous one gave me the finger. Still took me home, though very sick and spluttering.
    But.. wasnt the cars fault. High mileage, half a service history missing. Badly maintained in the past.
    Could have been <insert any manufacture>

Hi Xtreame4X2

May I suggest you spend some time in the Land Rover section. Have a read on a few threads that have fellow TDV6 owners commenting. Please try and keep an open mind. You will quickly be able to know which posts to take serious and which ones to ignore.

I did some reading many moons ago and after this decided to take the plunge and purchase the TDV6. I decided to follow the advice of the fellow owners on the forum, that called out all the negative comments.

I had a lot of issues, including a broken crank with a very expensive bill later. It is true that there are no competitors that offers similar levels of comfort, luxuries as well as power. Yes it was a great vehicle when it ran, but I had a lot of issues. A lot. The crank was one of many repairs on it. It was almost an ongoing exercise all the repairs.

It is a vehicle that has a bipolar effect. It splits opinion right in two, lovers and haters. No in between opinions. The same about the vehicle. When it is running it is one of the best, but when it gives you trouble, it will test your patience and budget to the limit.

So it ticks most of the boxes. You will struggle to find a similar vehicle at those prices

Can I honestly recommend you to buy one. Unfortunately not.

Good luck with the research and all of the best should you opt to buy one.
    Pieter Kruger le Roux

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Redman For This Useful Post:

Another good thread , hijacked by the "ill informed hear says"
    "My donner" if you dont drive a TDV6 , please refrain from comments.

I personally dont like any Toyota product , BUT, I dont troll around on the Toyota or Jeep sections and try to be a know all

To the original poster
    Fact is a D3/D4 in a good condition is a great buy
    Koos Best
    Land Rover Discovery3 TDV6 S.
    VW T5 D/cab 4 Motion with slide on camper

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koos Best For This Useful Post:

Guys thanks for all the good, the bad and the ugly on it.

I have done some research and browsing on car sites etc and come across some 5.0 V8 disco 4ís. Iíll be going the weekend and checking it out.

All advice is appreciated no matter what the outcome of it was.

I find the petrol is a little less full of #### and higher fuel consumption which I donít mind. Itís basically going to commute 35kms a day. And then the weekend fun.

I notice the early disco 4 V8 where also only HSE as well.

If someone has knowledge on the maintenance costs on these which is the only difficult part to find that would be great.

P.S still have an open mind on the TDV6 disco 4.

Ooooooooooook. my 2c coming up, again..

I have just had to replace a starter motor - which has been dying over the past couple of weeks.

When getting the car back from the indy who replaced the starter motor, I then had ANOTHER suspension fault. IIDTool again comes in super handy and I can see the pressure building and then stopping, C1A20-64 error code pops up (funny how I know that code off the top of my head).

It has just had a brand new AMK compressor, fitted by the dealer, less than 3 months ago. Why, because since I have had the car back from LR Hillcrest after the engine rebuild I've killed my original Hitachi compressor, 2 x aftermarket Bearmach compressors and a 2nd hand AMK. So I took the car to LR so that they can fit the compressor so that they can diagnose the issue and they can be responsible for repairing it.

So now it's back there, system has a small leak (apparently) and they are trying to find it. guess what, my IIDtool that will show pressure build and not hold told me the same flipping thing. Anyways, I digress, they can fix it because they didn't do it correctly the first time clearly.

Bearing in mind that before the engine issue and being rebuilt at Land Rover Hillcrest, the Hitachi compressor in my D4 was the original one - almost 9 years old!!!!!!! That's unheard of for a Hitachi by the way... in my opinion.

So why now did I go through 4 (possibly 5) compressors in 7 months - ONLY LAND ROVER HILLCREST would know!!!!

My point is this, any vehicle, not maintained, serviced, looked after can and most likely WILL give issues. AND NEVER EVER EVER TRUST THE LAND ROVER DEALERSHIP UNLESS YOU HAVE PERSONALLY GOOD EXPERIENCES!!!!!

And lastly, do you know why the starter motor died? Water ingress? Warranty doesn't cover it by the way. I was then told by my indy that the starter motor breather pipe WAS NOT THERE!!!!!!!!! ARE YOU ABSOLUTELY FRIKKING KIDDING ME?!?!?!?!?!?!?! WHY WAS IT NOT PUT BACK?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Oh, I wonder if it was used on another vehicle like my Left Xenon headlight that was missing when I left Land Rover Hillcrest after the engine rebuild.

Query to the service manager of LR Hillcrest as to why the pipe is missing? His words 'I didn't even know it had one' So for reference for all other Discovery 4 owners, this is where the breather pipes are located! Make sure they are put back.

Below excerpt from: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic152753.html

"Front diff breather is up behind the radiator and just below the height of the slam panel. The gearbox and transfer box breathers come up behind the engine and in front of the firewall. If you reach behind the engine V you can feel the top of the loops. The rear diff breather terminates up level with the fuel filler flap. The starter motor should have a breather too and this should run up behind the engine to terminate next to the gearbox breather.

Correctly fitted, the breathers should be high enough so that the engine air intake in the wing is your main concern"
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - Hybrid Turbo, Intercooler, 33's, 2" Lift, V8 TC, Ashcroft CW&P 3.75 + ATB lockers. [GoldiloX]
    2003 LR Discovery 2 Td5 ES - Lots of Mods(check thread) - [Husky]
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu] - SOLD

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to douglash For This Useful Post:

Ah hell.. This again.

I was called a troll when I mentioned the crank and I did not own a Disco.

Now I'm called a troll when I mention the crank and I do own a Disco.

Just can't win
    Blerry Troll Oppies
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

Quote Originally Posted by JBX View Post
    One word. Dont.
    This.
    Andrew

2010 Mazda BT-50 3.0 CRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Xtreame4X2 View Post
    Guys thanks for all the good, the bad and the ugly on it.

I have done some research and browsing on car sites etc and come across some 5.0 V8 disco 4ís. Iíll be going the weekend and checking it out.

All advice is appreciated no matter what the outcome of it was.

I find the petrol is a little less full of #### and higher fuel consumption which I donít mind. Itís basically going to commute 35kms a day. And then the weekend fun.

I notice the early disco 4 V8 where also only HSE as well.

If someone has knowledge on the maintenance costs on these which is the only difficult part to find that would be great.

P.S still have an open mind on the TDV6 disco 4.
    Sorry, I'm a bit late to the thread.

The V8 did come in SE as well, but look for the HSE, much nicer for basically the same price. Also check the HSE spec, the early ones did not all come with the nicer radio (Harmann Cardon), cameras, seats etc.

Maintenance costs on the V8 - you will get varied opinions. Some swear they spend basically nothing on it. Mine, I spent a lot of cash on it. Had a rolling budget of between R5k and R10k/month just to keep it 100%.

Some things to budget for:

Water pump - mine only lasted 40 000 km - R3.5k at the time
    Plastic pipe in the V8 of the engine - leaks coolant R1.5k at the time
    Lower control arms (SDV6 expense as well) - R3.5k at the time
    Brakes - doesn't last 30 000 km - Can't remember. Set of disks and pads - R10k at the time
    There are reports of timing chains / lifters that need replacement at about 150 000 km. Don't know the costs.

I can't even remember the rest of it - its been more than 2 financially blissful years since I sold it. There was ALWAYS something that needed to be done, which kind of took the shine of owning that monster. It is an absolute pleasure to drive, but there is always a sword hanging over your head which after a while just becomes a pain in the @ss. I would love an RRS V8 Supercharged in my garage, but just thinking about the D4 experience makes me look at other options.
    Current: Touareg V6 TDi
    Ex: Discovery 4 V8 - Sold at 149 000 km. Awesome vehicle, but a bottomless pit.
    Ex: Fortuner D4D - Best vehicle I've owned Sold at 267 000 km.
    Ex: Hilux 2.7i - sold at 241 000 km.
    Ex: Hilux D4D - sold at 330 000 km.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to 4xhilux For This Useful Post:

Greetings. I'm more of a reader than a replier but thought I would post my experience. I have a 2009 D3 which I have owned for over 5 years which now has 208000km. Been a fantastic vehicle. All the 'normal' things been done: alternator, control arms, timing belt, injectors, compressor. Last service at my indie included a service of the diff lock actuator (I think that's what it was) and it cost around 4k.
    Engine failures do seem to occur on all brands. Our last trip to Namibia in July had my brother in law leaving in a black LC100 and returning in a new white Prado.
    Reckon I'll replace my D3 with a second hand D4 at some stage.
    Good luck with your decision making.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to akl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBob View Post
    Buy it and enjoy. There are far more that donít give trouble than those that do. Replace the oil pump asap as a precaution. Service cost around 3500 from an indi. Oil change every 10k kms is a must. Hse is great if you can get it. Active headlights are awesome. Some have softer leather. Much improved sound. Try find out if it has the new amk suspension compressor. Get a gearbox flush done asap
    I concur with the gearbox flush done by professionals like ZF. I have a D3 2009 model, done 204 000 kms, and I have it serviced every 12000kms. Gearbox flush every 40K or so. I have done extensive trips with no real problems - the usual wheel bearing and electric window winders etc. I also tow a camper trailer sometimes. The vehicle is highly capable in off road conditions, and I am not highly experienced. I suspect the trick is to drive conservatively and to avoid engine mods etc. It has more than enough power and torque for the average Joe.

5 LR's TD4, TDV6, TD5, TDV6, V8.

Only one that left me standing next to the highway was the TD5 - 3 times - Flex Plate
    The 2nd TDV6 was the most expensive to keep on the road - injectors, turbo, etc.
    The V8 only normal servicing
    The 1st TDV6 - alternator
    TD4 - only had it for 2 months.
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,
    Making today a great day.
    Nerdy, 2011 Honda Jazz, 1500 Exc

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast