Planning a trip to NC for the first time ever

Default Planning a trip to NC for the first time ever

Morning. Me and the missus decided this year we want to take a trip to the NC. She was born in boeggoeberg and wants to show me all the places (I have no idea if there are many places), and since I am giving up a trip to the coast (east), I would at least like to see the west coast (and maybe camp for a night or two). We are planning on going on a 10 day trip in the middle of June (school holidays and such).

Weíve roped some friends in that also want to see that part of the world (I have also not seen it, except as a teenager being forced to go to orania for Xmas day family visit). So Iím going with the patrol and a normal luggage trailer (so will skip the 4x4 trails and I wonky roads), and they will go with a ford and off road trailer.

So the question is, some tips and advice what to look for.

Are we biting off a bit more than we can chew in ten days (I donít want to step on the petrol here in pta and a day and a half later forced to stop where the ocean meets the land)?. The other people already said we should camp at riemvasmaak a bit and so on

Can it be done in a relaxed traveling pace?
    Other places that we could visit along the way?
    Thing we need to watch out for?

I am a complete novice on this, usually I travel from a-z in one go. Stay there for a week or so and then come back. So this will be the first drive, stop, camp,repeat

Thanks for any advice that might help

Default Re: Planning a trip to NC for the first time ever

It depends on your preferences but if you like nature the following places may be investigated / considered:
    - Red Sands Kuruman for a overnight stop (the restaurant is normally good)
    - Other overnight stops:
    *Oranjesig Upington,
    *Die Mas Kakamas (Brandy tasting...) *Goegap Nature Reserve Springbok (no powerpoints)

- Riemvasmaak (1 - 2nights) and the route via Blouputs to Augrabies. Consider the short hiking trail down the Molopo river from Riemvasmaak spring
    - Die Pink Padstal Kakamas if thats your thing...
    - Augrabies. Min 2 nights to explore the Nature Reserve and to do (at least) the short dassie trail hike (highly recommended for rugged beauty).
    -Witsand Nature Reserve (bad road to get there thus at least 2 day stay) A climb up the huge "Brulsand" dunes for a sunrise / sunset is epic.
    - Pella. Beautifull old Cathedral and interaction with the locals. Consider a picnic at the Orange river
    -The road between Springbok and Hondeklipbaai via Wildeperdehoek se Pass
    - Namaqua National Park
    Enjoy the planning and the trip..
    Last edited by Karrooseun; 2019/10/11 at 07:52 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Karrooseun For This Useful Post: