Advice TPMS to install

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Advice TPMS to install

I am about to fit new tyres to my Ranger. I want to install internal sensor TPMS. Please could i get advice on any models to avoid or are they pretty much all the same? Will be a standard unit from whomever I purchase tyres from, with external display, most likely solar powered.
    Thanks in advance,

Default Re: Advice TPMS to install

The only thing I would advise is that if you tow ensure that your unit reads at least 6 channels

You need (a) sensor(s) in the spare wheel(s) as well.
    2011 Daihatsu Terios 4x4
    2018 Isuzu KB300 Double Cab 4x4 Auto

Quote Originally Posted by J Snyman View Post
    You need (a) sensor(s) in the spare wheel(s) as well.
    Why would that be?
    Ross

Quote Originally Posted by RMackay View Post
    Why would that be?
    In case one of your sensors tells you you have a flat tyre, then you discover your spare is also flat
    Henk Pretorius D4 3,0 SDV6 HSE
    EX AFRICII SEMPER NOVUS

6. The Following User Says Thank You to julius caesar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by abp View Post
    I am about to fit new tyres to my Ranger. I want to install internal sensor TPMS. Please could i get advice on any models to avoid or are they pretty much all the same? Will be a standard unit from whomever I purchase tyres from, with external display, most likely solar powered.
    Thanks in advance,
    So what was your conclusion? My problem is identical to yours; also Ranger, etc. When you live in this neck of the woods, not much possibility for shopping around - so please tell: what did you buy and where, what price, incl fitment. Thanks vm.

Is the Wildtrak fitted with a TPMS standard? Can those sensors be bought (from a dealer) and installed in a 3,2 Ranger and integrated to the on-board display?
    Comments appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Alto View Post
    Is the Wildtrak fitted with a TPMS standard? Can those sensors be bought (from a dealer) and installed in a 3,2 Ranger and integrated to the on-board display?
    Comments appreciated.
    Yes it is, so the sensors should be available from the stealers.
    Don't know about the aftermarket fitment.

Quote Originally Posted by abp View Post
    I am about to fit new tyres to my Ranger. I want to install internal sensor TPMS. Please could i get advice on any models to avoid or are they pretty much all the same? Will be a standard unit from whomever I purchase tyres from, with external display, most likely solar powered.Thanks in advance,
    I'm very happy with my Tire Guard, bought from Abraham [email protected] direct importer and can handle 22 sensors.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to toppie4x4 For This Useful Post:

I have used the Steelmate TPMS from Tiger Wheel. Nice product, the sensor 'reader' plugs into the 12v power outlet in the vehicle and connect via bluetooth to a phone app. Allows you to set ranges for temp and pressure limits and warnings.
    The journey of a thousand miles starts by turning the ignition...!

FJ Desert Cruiser

'97 Pajero 2.8td SWB - Swambo's

Quote Originally Posted by toppie4x4 View Post
    I'm very happy with my Tire Guard, bought from Abraham [email protected] direct importer and can handle 22 sensors.
    +1

Had mine since 2011. I see you can now choose between internal or external sensors to link with your Tireguard monitor (I checked with Abraham). I'm looking at fitting quick release valve fittings on the FJ to go with a inflate/deflate system I'll be fitting. I would therefore have to go from external sensors to internal, since the external sensors cannot fit on the quick release valves. I will keep the external sensors on the Bush Lapa.

Personally I have never seen the value of adding sensors to the spare wheels since I always carry a compressor in the FJ.
    Last edited by Kooskop; 2019/02/22 at 09:22 AM.
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

Quote Originally Posted by Kooskop View Post
    +1

Had mine since 2011. I see you can now choose between internal or external sensors to link with your Tireguard monitor (I checked with Abraham). I'm looking at fitting quick release valve fittings on the FJ to go with a inflate/deflate system I'll be fitting. I would therefore have to go from external sensors to internal, since the external sensors cannot fit on the quick release valves. I will keep the external sensors on the Bush Lapa.

Personally I have never seen the value of adding sensors to the spare wheels since I always carry a compressor in the FJ.
    Advantage of having steel rims. I had an extra set of holes drilled opposite the existing ones and fitted extra valves. The sensors now goes on and stays on. Inflate/deflate happens on the other valve.

After this i need a TPMS
    what are the pro's and cons of the interior vs exterior sensors
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Pajero Gen2 1996 2.8TDi LWB

I bought a set of these in the picture. You can choose if you want the internal or external sensors. It comes with a wireless monitor that charges via USB but the battery lasts at least 6 weeks.

This unit can monitor up to 18 sensors (Yes, eighteen) meaning that in example you can buy perhaps 8 sensors put them in two different cars and use the same monitor to keep a check on tyre pressures and temperatures. The range of the monitor is about 15 meters.

The unit monitors;
    1. Tyre pressure - You can set a minimum pressure limit before the alarm sounds.
    2. Tyre Temperatures - You can set a maximum temperature before the alarm sounds.
    3. Air Leak - It monitors if a tyre is losing pressure ie such as a slow puncture.
    4. Stow and Forget - You do not have to mount the monitor or keep an eye on it, just put it in the glovebox or bag/pocket anywhere in the vehicle. The monitor will sound a buzz if anything starts going wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by HeinrichC View Post
    I bought a set of these in the picture. You can choose if you want the internal or external sensors. It comes with a wireless monitor that charges via USB but the battery lasts at least 6 weeks.

This unit can monitor up to 18 sensors (Yes, eighteen) meaning that in example you can buy perhaps 8 sensors put them in two different cars and use the same monitor to keep a check on tyre pressures and temperatures. The range of the monitor is about 15 meters.

The unit monitors;
    1. Tyre pressure - You can set a minimum pressure limit before the alarm sounds.
    2. Tyre Temperatures - You can set a maximum temperature before the alarm sounds.
    3. Air Leak - It monitors if a tyre is losing pressure ie such as a slow puncture.
    4. Stow and Forget - You do not have to mount the monitor or keep an eye on it, just put it in the glovebox or bag/pocket anywhere in the vehicle. The monitor will sound a buzz if anything starts going wrong.

Hi Heinrich

Where did you buy the unit and what was the price? Did you get the internal or external units?
    2017 3.2 Ford Ranger Wildtrak D/C
    Old Man Emu lift kit
    Stofpad Box rocksliders
    Aline Dagger
    BFG KO2 285-75-16
    Stanium aluminium canopy with some goodies and stuff inside
    and loads of attitude

I bought it from someone advertising on Gumtree. I opted for the internal sensors simply because for me they are the more convenient option; the external type I might lose when deflating or some idiot might steal the external caps.

PM me and I will send you the contact details of the person selling them.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to HeinrichC For This Useful Post:

I am also looking at a TPMS.
    But I need to monitor 12 wheels.
    - 6 on the Troopie
    - 8 on the trailer.

Any suggestions?
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    I am also looking at a TPMS.
    But I need to monitor 12 wheels.
    - 6 on the Troopie
    - 8 on the trailer.

Any suggestions?
    The TPMS I have can monitor up to 18 wheels.

Bear in mind that TPMS sensors are battery powered. Battery life is around 6 years. For the internal sensors the batteries are not replaceable.
    2 of my 4 sensors have stopped working. I had a puncture fixed and took the opportunity to remove a dead sensor. I managed to force it open and the battery was truly dead. It takes a standard coin sized battery but there is no easy way to reseal the unit.
    2012 Mitsubishi Pajero Legend 3.2 Auto
    2014 Kia Sportage 2.0 Diesel Auto AWD
    2018 Invader Duo

Quote Originally Posted by Kooskop View Post
    +1

Unless you include the spare into your tire rotation schedule (which I and many others do). Then you dont have to refit the internal sensor each time. Reason enough for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast