Sodwana to Kosi Bay tracks

Default Sodwana to Kosi Bay tracks

Hi all,

Iím new to the forum but Iíve been reading the posts keenly for the last two years since I got my Freelander 2!

swambo and I are planning a trip in April from CPT up to Sodwana - Kosi Bay - Porta Malengane - Crocodile Bridge and then straight back down on the N1

I just would like to find out the conditions of the tracks between Sodwana and Kosi Bay - the route where you avoid the tarred roads and stick closer to the coast.

Does anyone have any recent experience on these roads?
    I see on earlier posts that there were some safety concerns in the area a couple years ago, does anyone know if this has changed for the better?

any help will be appreciated,

thanks!

Inox.

Default Re: Sodwana to Kosi Bay tracks

I sent u 2x details PMs

Quote Originally Posted by Inox View Post
    Hi all,

Iím new to the forum but Iíve been reading the posts keenly for the last two years since I got my Freelander 2!

swambo and I are planning a trip in April from CPT up to Sodwana - Kosi Bay - Porta Malengane - Crocodile Bridge and then straight back down on the N1

I just would like to find out the conditions of the tracks between Sodwana and Kosi Bay - the route where you avoid the tarred roads and stick closer to the coast.

Does anyone have any recent experience on these roads?
    I see on earlier posts that there were some safety concerns in the area a couple years ago, does anyone know if this has changed for the better?

any help will be appreciated,

thanks!

Inox.

Did some travelling there last August. Make sure you have GPS, else you might get lost. Be confident of your thick sand driving. You don't want to get stuck by yourself.
    Make sure you know where you want to go... in other words plan your track well.
    At times I felt uncomfortable and maybe not so safe but in General...ok.

Please send me any detail as well as we are there in 2 weeks time and plan to travel the same route. I will report back on conditions when we return.

Quote Originally Posted by warrenpfo View Post
    Please send me any detail as well as we are there in 2 weeks time and plan to travel the same route. I will report back on conditions when we return.
    Sent u a PM

Thank you received will update

Before I went there to do the same route I got latest T4A loaded on my GPS and we all sorted . 5km past Black Rock the GPS stops working !! So I got a spot where we could get Cell reception , put in my destination into Google Maps , set it for offline routing and drove with the phone all the way to Sodwana . Ok we did get lost a few times but the phone got us on track everytime .

Quote Originally Posted by warrenpfo View Post
    Thank you received will update
    What date are you traveling and where are you staying? Iím heading that direction on the 16th

Be care full on the tracks north of sodwana a convoy is safer, but it is a bad area to be on your own. friends have been robbed while at lake sibaya and i was told by armed guards that just appeared out the bush at 7mile reef that is safer if we leave ?

(not talking about the main road to kosi)
    Last edited by vidalbum; 2019/02/04 at 02:16 PM.

We going to Impila Tented camps the 16th and 17th then off to Bhanga Nek (have been 3 times in the past 2 years) from the 17th to the 22nd and from the 22nd off to Mabibi for 2 nights.

We in a convoy of 2 4x4's with radios so give us a shout if you in the area.
    Last edited by warrenpfo; 2019/02/04 at 02:32 PM.

what camp site are you staying at in mbibi and banga nek ?

We staying in one of the 2 self-catering "huts" as Mabibi (http://www.mabibibeachcamp.co.za/mab...-self-catering) and for the first time we staying in the tented camps at Bhanga Nek at the community campsite down on the beach which is where we have always camped. Water is very brak and no power but we self-contained and did not want to lug camping gear with us if we cant use it whilst staying at Hluhluwe.
    Last edited by warrenpfo; 2019/02/04 at 02:55 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to warrenpfo For This Useful Post:

looks good, magical part of the zulu land coast, i do a kosibay trip every year(parks board camp) stayed at the private camps on the eastern shore but they were just to ruff and would not let you camp thanks for the info on these places
    Last edited by vidalbum; 2019/02/04 at 03:01 PM.

@Warren would u mind taking some photos of the chalets at Mabibi. I've camped there but not stayed in the chalets and i forgot to check it out last time.

Any updates on the condition of the route and safety?

Was hoping to do this route by myself beginning of aug.
    Will be camping at banga Nek and en route to sodwana from there.

We stayed in Kosi bay campsite and drive south a long way along the 4x4 route - exited I think around rock tail beach camp.

Was a beautiful drive but the track was very overgrown. Put a lot of scratches in the paint. Sandy road - there were a couple of hilly spots that were very soft - had to drive off the track on some vegetation.

we saw literally no one for an hour or so at a time.

felt safe... but one of the guards at Kosi made some reference that there had been some issues in the area and asked if we wanted ďsecurity.Ē

As much as I enjoyed the drive, I wouldnít do it again due to the damage to the car.

This was in March of this year.

not sure if thatís the road you are asking about - but if you go to this area, just be aware of how narrow the track is at some points. Total jungle canopy.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to heyyahhey For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by heyyahhey View Post
    We stayed in Kosi bay campsite and drive south a long way along the 4x4 route - exited I think around rock tail beach camp.

Was a beautiful drive but the track was very overgrown. Put a lot of scratches in the paint. Sandy road - there were a couple of hilly spots that were very soft - had to drive off the track on some vegetation.

we saw literally no one for an hour or so at a time.

felt safe... but one of the guards at Kosi made some reference that there had been some issues in the area and asked if we wanted ďsecurity.Ē

As much as I enjoyed the drive, I wouldnít do it again due to the damage to the car.

This was in March of this year.

not sure if thatís the road you are asking about - but if you go to this area, just be aware of how narrow the track is at some points. Total jungle canopy.

Received another trip report from someone else about this route.
    Pretty much the same as your's.

Expect lots of pin stripes on your vehicle.

No issues with safety but he said be weary around Mabibi if you park your car

Just came back from Mabibi and the roads South of Mabibi (D1848 ) was nicely cleared (approx 1m on either side for the most part).

Also heard quite a bit regarding the safety concerns in the area, but didn't encounter any problems. We did stop for lunch next to lake Sibayi, but did so briefly and without venturing far from the car.
    It's such a nice area and all the people we encountered were very friendly and helpful.
    Last edited by Pandafish; 2019/07/16 at 11:20 AM.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pandafish For This Useful Post: