Yamaha XT660R engine oil type?





Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Louis Trichardt
    Posts
    325

    Default Yamaha XT660R engine oil type?

    The Yamaha owners manual states an oil with API service SE, SF, SG type or higher specs. I don't drive hard. Don't drive off road much. Just basically use it to commute with at 10km per trip. What oil would you suggest?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Edenvale
    Age
    54
    Posts
    970

    Default Re: Yamaha XT660R engine oil type?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
    The Yamaha owners manual states an oil with API service SE, SF, SG type or higher specs. I don't drive hard. Don't drive off road much. Just basically use it to commute with at 10km per trip. What oil would you suggest?
    The correct oil as per the manufacturer specifications. My brother makes a good living rebuilding bike motors that haven't been run with the correct oil. I'd recommend that you use Motul only. MOTUL is part of the Yamaha group as far as I know. A bike engine rebuild will generally cost more than an average car engine rebuild.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes theyíre already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Louis Trichardt
    Posts
    325

    Default Re: Yamaha XT660R engine oil type?

    Doubt very much that I will find Motul in Louis Trichardt

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    1,053

    Default Re: Yamaha XT660R engine oil type?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
    The Yamaha owners manual states an oil with API service SE, SF, SG type or higher specs. I don't drive hard. Don't drive off road much. Just basically use it to commute with at 10km per trip. What oil would you suggest?
    Everything older (lower spec) than SJ is obsolete and no longer in production - so basically all new/modern oils will comply with the API you require.

    AFAIK you need 10W40 or 15W40 for the 660. Just get any correct spec oil for 4 stroke motorcycle engines (T4). Iím a fan of synthetic, or at least semi-synthetic.

    Donít use car oil, it doesnít play nice long term with wet clutches...

    You can just google 10W40 T4 oil. Midas, Makro, Goldwagen, all stock them. I like Liqui Molly

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Louis Trichardt
    Posts
    325

    Default Re: Yamaha XT660R engine oil type?

    Quote Originally Posted by SAND View Post
    Everything older (lower spec) than SJ is obsolete and no longer in production - so basically all new/modern oils will comply with the API you require.

    AFAIK you need 10W40 or 15W40 for the 660. Just get any correct spec oil for 4 stroke motorcycle engines (T4). I’m a fan of synthetic, or at least semi-synthetic.

    Don’t use car oil, it doesn’t play nice long term with wet clutches...

    You can just google 10W40 T4 oil. Midas, Makro, Goldwagen, all stock them. I like Liqui Molly
    This is why I am asking.
    Thanks for the info . I believe that I have seen Liqui Molly at our local Midas. I was not sure if Synthetic would work with a wet clutch system. I have no idea when this bike was last serviced as the previous owner did not service it(he only had it for about 4 months and I have no contact from the owner before that

    I will do some google'ing about synthetic and wet clutches before I make my final decision
    Last edited by Chris G; 2019/01/19 at 07:11 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    1,053

    Default Re: Yamaha XT660R engine oil type?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
    This is why I am asking.
    Thanks for the info . I believe that I have seen Liqui Molly at our local Midas. I was not sure if Synthetic would work with a wet clutch system. I have no idea when this bike was last serviced as the previous owner did not service it(he only had it for about 4 months and I have no contact from the owner before that
    Ask them for 10W40 T4 oil, see what they have, and take it from there. My NC750x (commuter) I currently have Castrol semi-synthetic in, the rest have Liqui Molly synthetic.

    (All T4 oils will work with wet clutches). The issue with wet clutches are the additives they put in car oil, which makes the wet clutch slip. As long as you have 4 stroke motorcycle oil (T4), you must then decide what your preferences are regarding mineral, semi-, or full synthetic.

    Have a look here: https://www.xt660.com/index.php
    Last edited by SAND; 2019/01/19 at 07:18 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    58
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Yamaha XT660R engine oil type?

    Chris G, The Wild dog Adventure Motorcycle forum has a lot of information about your Bike.

    See Link http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?board=107.0

    Hope This helps.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Louis Trichardt
    Posts
    325

    Default Re: Yamaha XT660R engine oil type?

    Thanks Sand. I am a payed member of xt660.com but as they are mostly UK based and brands differ I was hoping to get a SA version. Our temps and riding regimes are way different than UK requirements.

    Wheelman I will give them a look see. Thanks

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Louis Trichardt
    Posts
    325

    Default Re: Yamaha XT660R engine oil type?

    Thanks for all the advice. I got Castrol Actevo 4T 10W40 part synthetic at the local Autozone for R90/L, (it is API SJ and JASO MA2 specification.)
    They had that and a full racing synthetic which I could not afford.
    What is interesting is that the owners manual specifically says not to use an oil of a higher specification.
    Once again thanks for the advice. My last bike was a Suz GS1000S and I used to use castrol GTX on that. It lived because it was not as finicky as the XT. I don't want to take a risk on it

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Vereeniging
    Age
    38
    Posts
    476

    Default Re: Yamaha XT660R engine oil type?

    My 1st choice would be Yamalube 20w50, Second Motul 5100 (Yes Motul have beter/ more expensive oil that will be better in a racing motor, so not applicable to you). 3rd will be Liqui moly or Motorex, but I feel the price are not always worth it. If not any of the mentioned then any other 4t oil.
    Jan
    Suzuki Grand Vitara Summit (2017)
    (Previously owned (Only the Zooks really matter): Jimny 2010, Jimny 2013)
    Beta 400rr Enduro
    Wife: Suzuki Vitara GL+
    (Previously:Suzuki Swift GLS, Suzuki SX4 GLX)
    KTM 150 xc

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Vereeniging
    Age
    38
    Posts
    476

    Default Re: Yamaha XT660R engine oil type?

    Not sure, are the XT engine and gearbox oil separate?
    Jan
    Suzuki Grand Vitara Summit (2017)
    (Previously owned (Only the Zooks really matter): Jimny 2010, Jimny 2013)
    Beta 400rr Enduro
    Wife: Suzuki Vitara GL+
    (Previously:Suzuki Swift GLS, Suzuki SX4 GLX)
    KTM 150 xc

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Louis Trichardt
    Posts
    325

    Default Re: Yamaha XT660R engine oil type?

    Quote Originally Posted by Epinephrine View Post
    Not sure, are the XT engine and gearbox oil separate?
    Nope they are combined but it has a dry sump configuration with oil reserve in the frame

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Vereeniging
    Age
    38
    Posts
    476

    Default Re: Yamaha XT660R engine oil type?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
    Nope they are combined but it has a dry sump configuration with oil reserve in the frame
    Just make 100% sure that the oil has anti-foam properties, the mention that it is 4t oil might be the clue that it is, but still. If it doesn't state anti-foam, then at least it must mention "clutch" or "gearbox" on the bottle or web. If it does then it should be fine!
    Jan
    Suzuki Grand Vitara Summit (2017)
    (Previously owned (Only the Zooks really matter): Jimny 2010, Jimny 2013)
    Beta 400rr Enduro
    Wife: Suzuki Vitara GL+
    (Previously:Suzuki Swift GLS, Suzuki SX4 GLX)
    KTM 150 xc

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Louis Trichardt
    Posts
    325

    Default Re: Yamaha XT660R engine oil type?

    Quote Originally Posted by Epinephrine View Post
    Just make 100% sure that the oil has anti-foam properties, the mention that it is 4t oil might be the clue that it is, but still. If it doesn't state anti-foam, then at least it must mention "clutch" or "gearbox" on the bottle or web. If it does then it should be fine!
    It is motorcycle oil. carries all the right specs. Time will tell if I made an expensive mistake or not.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •