What are Bridgestone Dueler HT 684 II like? The factory OE tyres on many vehicles

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What are Bridgestone Dueler HT 684 II like - Factory OE tyres on many vehicles

What are peoples experiences with Bridgestone Dueler HT 684 II tyres?

They are standard OE tyres that come fitted on many new vehicles, many many people must have had them on their vehicles.

OE on some variants of these makes/models :

VW AMAROK
    FORD RANGER
    VW AMAROK
    TOYOTA LAND CRUISER
    CHEV TRAILBLAZER
    TOYOTA FORTUNER
    SUZUKI JIMNY
    MITSUBISHI OUTLANDER
    MAHINDRA XUV500

Anyone know why these particular tyres are so widely used as OE tyres?
    Last edited by Skylark; 2019/01/18 at 02:02 AM.

Default Re: What are Bridgestone Dueler HT 684 II like? The factory OE tyres on many vehicles

They have quite an unusual looking tread pattern :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bridgestone-dueler-h-t-684-ii.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	516566
    Last edited by Skylark; 2019/01/18 at 12:42 AM.

Default Re: What are Bridgestone Dueler HT 684 II like - Factory OE tyres on many vehicles

Had them on my 2009 Jimmy and was happy. Only had the vehicle for 23 000km since new though.
    At the time many people upgraded their tyres to AT's but I saw no need for my application.
    Last edited by Sawdust; 2019/01/18 at 05:01 AM.
    2004 Defender 110 Td5

Default Re: What are Bridgestone Dueler HT 684 II like? The factory OE tyres on many vehicles

Got a set on my Jimny. Which spends most of it's time on tar, 200kms short of 20000kms and no issues with on road handling. Offroad...I'm not so sure. I haven't done any serious trails yet, but a few long distance trips across the country on sand and gravel, and what I found is it slips a lot on gravel and sand roads. Mud I can't really comment on as I've only been through some shallow patches here and there.

All that being said I plan to invest in a set of BFG's later this year as I will be going to Bots & Zambia in the wet season and need a good offroad tyre.
    2018 Suzuki Jimny - Expedition vehicle
    2002 Land Rover Defender - Daily Drive

Default Re: What are Bridgestone Dueler HT 684 II like - Factory OE tyres on many vehicles

I had them on my Jimny. I got to 40k km before changing them to Conti WC 4x4. I could have easily got to 80k km. I had one side wall cut and a side wall picture. Didn't do much offroading but when I did go over sand, mud and rocks, I never once got stuck.

My opinion is that its a very good tyre but I would use an alternative due to pricing.
    Suzuki Jimny 2017
    Radical cups
    Steering damper
    Front Runner roof rack
    Floor board

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon93 View Post
    Got a set on my Jimny. Which spends most of it's time on tar, 200kms short of 20000kms and no issues with on road handling. Offroad...I'm not so sure. I haven't done any serious trails yet, but a few long distance trips across the country on sand and gravel, and what I found is it slips a lot on gravel and sand roads. Mud I can't really comment on as I've only been through some shallow patches here and there.

All that being said I plan to invest in a set of BFG's later this year as I will be going to Bots & Zambia in the wet season and need a good offroad tyre.
    Unless you are going MT on the BFG's the Goodyear Wrangler Adventure AT with Kevlar is an awesome off road tyre for the Jimny and around R1300 for the 205/70/15 at Hi-Q's.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexaj View Post
    I had them on my Jimny. I got to 40k km before changing them to Conti WC 4x4. I could have easily got to 80k km. I had one side wall cut and a side wall picture. Didn't do much offroading but when I did go over sand, mud and rocks, I never once got stuck.

My opinion is that its a very good tyre but I would use an alternative due to pricing.
    The 684 is quite an expensive tyre aftermarket so for what you get definitely not worth it considering the cheaper and better options but I may be able to get a 2hnd low mileage set for a decent price so I am considering them.

How do your new Continental's compare to the 684 in terms of road/highway noise and fuel economy?

The continental's probably look better fitted, they seem to have a nice side view with heavy looking lug edges and raised lettering?

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    The 684 is quite an expensive tyre aftermarket so for what you get definitely not worth it considering the cheaper and better options but I may be able to get a 2hnd low mileage set for a decent price so I am considering them.

How do your new Continental's compare to the 684 in terms of road/highway noise and fuel economy?

The continental's probably look better fitted, they seem to have a nice side view with heavy looking lug edges and raised lettering?
    Road noise is very similar, I thought the Conti's would be louder.

Fuel consumption after a week, looks to be just slightly heavier, but very marginal.

I have added a pic, they look quite nice.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0969.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	245.6 KB 
ID:	516597
    Suzuki Jimny 2017
    Radical cups
    Steering damper
    Front Runner roof rack
    Floor board

Quote Originally Posted by Alexaj View Post
    Road noise is very similar, I thought the Conti's would be louder.

Fuel consumption after a week, looks to be just slightly heavier, but very marginal.

I have added a pic, they look quite nice.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0969.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	245.6 KB 
ID:	516597
    Thanks Alex, nice that they aren't too noisy or heavy on juice, they look the business, really amazing value.
    Last edited by Skylark; 2019/01/18 at 12:20 PM.

I have 94k on my 684 II's. Expecting 105 to 110k on them judging remaining thread.
    A bit noisy on rough tar surfaces and screeching easily when cornering on smooth tar.
    Gravel road OK, so overall happy especially mileage.
    2019 Fortuner 2.4 Auto 4x4
    2006 Jeep 3.7 Limited with 1.5" lift

Quote Originally Posted by Jors55 View Post
    I have 94k on my 684 II's. Expecting 105 to 110k on them judging remaining thread.
    A bit noisy on rough tar surfaces and screeching easily when cornering on smooth tar.
    Gravel road OK, so overall happy especially mileage.
    What vehicle are they on and are they the original tyres that it came with new?

Have you ever taken them off road on sand or muddy conditions?

Bump, anyone else with experiences with the Dueller 684?

I can't comment on the 684 but duelers as a whole I dislike.

They made my hilux undrivable in rain.

Went to Yokohama geolanders.

Different car.
    Dash Fibre: Doing internet differently, drawing customers with best price, keeping customers with best service.

I have OE Duelers on my recently bought 2017 Pajerosport and have done some gravel and sand where they were ok (not excellent), but the other day it rained and I was shocked how much the MPS was sliding around on tar.

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanS View Post
    I have OE Duelers on my recently bought 2017 Pajerosport and have done some gravel and sand where they were ok (not excellent), but the other day it rained and I was shocked how much the MPS was sliding around on tar.
    Was the rain experience in town or freeway driving?
    What mileage are the tyres on?
    Last edited by Skylark; 2019/01/19 at 01:54 PM.

...and pressure being used?
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

Was in town, traffic lights etc (guess it could be oily). 13000km on the tyres (I assume as that is the mileage on vehicle) and tyres at 2.2 bar on rears, 2 on front. Slipping when accelerating away (not racing start) and turning.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    ...and pressure being used?
    Pump them too hard and the contact patch becomes tiny, hence squealing and poor grip especially when wet?

Brendan's tyres pressure in spec...
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Brendan's tyres pressure in spec...
    Pump them too hard and the contact patch becomes tiny, hence squealing and poor grip especially when wet?
    I was wondering why you were interested in the tyre pressure?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast