Saltwater Flyfishng (Richards Bay KZN) - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Saltwater Flyfishng (Richards Bay KZN)

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    A trip down memory lane..found my flybox this morning and opened up a 20 year old time capsule. If I may share some of the patterns we used...

First up is a Bob Popovics pattern called a Surf Candy. Often the only pattern that worked when the water in the harbour was very clear, fished around the piers with flourocarbon. Big springer loved them, so did kingfish. Tied in muted colours, olive always worked best.
    I remember surf candy’s ! Somewhere I also have a box of 20 year old salt flies. I was useless at tying, so mainly bought my flies from Oom Ben or Nigel ( Meerensee).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew D For This Useful Post:

This brought back lots of good memories, mostly of farther North - Kosi mouth, Bhanga Neck and Moz. I am mostly a wild trout fisherman on my local Cape mountain streams, but also fish for yellows (Gariep) and occasionally tigers (Bots, Zam). Years ago I decided to give saltwater flyfishing a go also, but found the Cape too frustrating - the proverbial thousand casts a fish, wind, cold and getting skunked! So, I started doing yearly trips to the Wild Coast and Northern KZN. Truly enjoyed those - it was like bungy jumping (hooking a giant kingfish in the surf) compared to stepping off the curb (gentle trout streams). Alas, life, wife, children, school fees, and work put an end to those. I gave all my salt water tying materials away, but I kept my 9 and 12 weight rods and reels........you never know when you might need something a bit more sturdy than a 2 weight!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DJR For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DJR View Post
    This brought back lots of good memories, mostly of farther North - Kosi mouth, Bhanga Neck and Moz. I am mostly a wild trout fisherman on my local Cape mountain streams, but also fish for yellows (Gariep) and occasionally tigers (Bots, Zam). Years ago I decided to give saltwater flyfishing a go also, but found the Cape too frustrating - the proverbial thousand casts a fish, wind, cold and getting skunked! So, I started doing yearly trips to the Wild Coast and Northern KZN. Truly enjoyed those - it was like bungy jumping (hooking a giant kingfish in the surf) compared to stepping off the curb (gentle trout streams). Alas, life, wife, children, school fees, and work put an end to those. I gave all my salt water tying materials away, but I kept my 9 and 12 weight rods and reels........you never know when you might need something a bit more sturdy than a 2 weight!
    This could be my summary, except that we Iived in Richards Bay. I always liked Berg trout fishing but once you’ve hooked a GT or queenfish or the like, trout is always sedentary. One thing to remember, although most of us got quite good, we put in lots of hours. Basically 4 or 5 evenings per week, in summer. I still have most of my tackle, the rods are still OK, but reels are very tired.

I also remember the now wife of one of my friends, commenting that she was worried about Marius B. On one of their early shopping expeditions together he was trying out washing baskets against his waist. She was very puzzled!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew D For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    And for springer, this was my go to pattern. Called the Reactor, tied with spun deerhair and popularised by Anthony Kruger those years, could be fished in pitch black darkness, springer ate them with alacrity.
    This and your next fly works well on Large Mouth Yellows!
    One of the stupid mistakes in life is to underestimate peoples level of stupidity!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Luka For This Useful Post:

Very interesting thread.
    We are off to Kosi Bay Lodge 2Nov and are taking the old flyrods with. Want to try and get the wife to cast a few flies and get into the game.
    Just want to have some fun and catch and release some fish. Not going to spend hours and hours at the mouth chasing the big ones, want to rather have more fun going for the smaller species.
    Does anyone have any tips on where to go at the mouth and what flies to use especially for her that never really did any flyfishing before?

And if casting flies does not work for her, she has her baitcasting rigs. Got a few soft baits but we have never been to Kosi so I don't know where to take her.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Cheerz
    Francois

Quote Originally Posted by FDB View Post
    Very interesting thread.
    We are off to Kosi Bay Lodge 2Nov and are taking the old flyrods with. Want to try and get the wife to cast a few flies and get into the game.
    Just want to have some fun and catch and release some fish. Not going to spend hours and hours at the mouth chasing the big ones, want to rather have more fun going for the smaller species.
    Does anyone have any tips on where to go at the mouth and what flies to use especially for her that never really did any flyfishing before?

And if casting flies does not work for her, she has her baitcasting rigs. Got a few soft baits but we have never been to Kosi so I don't know where to take her.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Cheerz
    Francois
    Kosi is a tough place to fish, one of those place that is either world class or just dead.

I would suggest the surf and look for three spot pompano in the shoredump with a small ( size 4/ 6) Crazy Charlie in white, or amongst the rocks in the white water with a chartreuse Clouser looking for kingfish. The water will still be cold during your stay so the Kingies will be few and far between.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3