New solar system

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default New solar system

I was given this 150W 8A 18V fold up solar panel to test out befor marketing it. I put a 80L National and a flat 105ah
    battery fridge started and batt charged totily. What do you think of this

Default Re: New solar system

Price seems a bit steep for just the panel without controller.
    2007 Colt Rodeo 3000I V6 D/C 4x4
    Dual battery system
    57 mm freeflow system
    General Grabber AT3's
    Challenger Bundu Basher Off-road trailer aka Bos Parra

This type of solar panel is on my camping shopping list.
    FORD Ranger XL Plus
    Conqueror Courage

4. The Following User Says Thank You to blind For This Useful Post:

With fridge

It has controler in the package

Is it good quality solar panels? What manufacturer?
    FORD Ranger XL Plus
    Conqueror Courage

unfortunately this information was not given to me. It looks very good quality.
    Last edited by calitzfamily; 2019/01/15 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by calitzfamily View Post
    OK, the accessories in the first photo did not say that.
    2007 Colt Rodeo 3000I V6 D/C 4x4
    Dual battery system
    57 mm freeflow system
    General Grabber AT3's
    Challenger Bundu Basher Off-road trailer aka Bos Parra

There will always be people that due to space constraints need a foldable panel. Personally I wouldn't pay that amount of money when a glass panel costs less that R2000, but there is a market out there for this

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mplester For This Useful Post:

The folding panels are much easier to transport and carry around due to the weight saving over glass and folding up so small. Being able to set up camp under a tree and moving the panel to catch max sunlight to me is the biggest benefit. Fixed panels on a caravan roof is sometimes just not practical in my view. Only problem I foresee with this panel is where to put it when open, car bonnet, tent roof, caravan roof etc.
    Just laying it open on the ground someone is gonna drive over it or elephant might step on it etc.

KUBU 4X4 TRAILER RENTAL
    083 631 6995
    [email protected]
    www.kubu4x4.co.za
    Click here for the latest updates in the Commercial Section
    Jannie Engelbrecht a.k.a. Granlor

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jannie Kubu4x4 For This Useful Post:

It has little loops on the fabric, maby i can make a tent pole that can fold down

I've been quoted around R8,800 including VAT for 2x150W solar panels, a Victron controller and a 120Ah battery, so if this is just for the panels and the controller it does sound a bit steep.

But I guess you're paying for the convenience of fold-up. The panels I was quoted on are very bulky and heavy at 1024mm x 990 mm each, and a weight of 13kg (each).

Approximate breakdown of my quote (excl. VAT):
    120Ah battery - R 2 538,
    150W panels - R 1 450.17 (each),
    MPPT controller - R 1 970.

IMHO calc the Ah you require for your entire system and to keep it going for say 4 days and they get a system to match that - then you add 15 to 20% for flexibility.

Many guys buy a system and then want it to work no matter what their requirements are or the what the real SP efficiencies are for sunny and partial sunny days.

If you have this 150W flexi system and you then wake-up one day to the fact that you need 180W or 200W or what ever what are you going to do?

Flexi's are good for packing and need to be acquired so that there is flexibility for increasing the wattage to keep your batteries going never mind full.

Solid moveable panels {available in small (50/80W @ 7-8kgs) medium (100/120W @ 9- 12kgs) and large 150/+200W @ +12kgs) are more flexible for achieving the power target and are better for placement to maximise the sun power, whereas fixed panels on roofs just don't make sense at all. For them to work you have to park the vehicle/trailer in the sun and then occasionally move the vehicle to achieve the best sun on your panels. SP's don't work in the shade - full stop.

Quote Originally Posted by TRON View Post
    IMHO calc the Ah you require for your entire system and to keep it going for say 4 days and they get a system to match that - then you add 15 to 20% for flexibility.

Many guys buy a system and then want it to work no matter what their requirements are or the what the real SP efficiencies are for sunny and partial sunny days.

If you have this 150W flexi system and you then wake-up one day to the fact that you need 180W or 200W or what ever what are you going to do?

Flexi's are good for packing and need to be acquired so that there is flexibility for increasing the wattage to keep your batteries going never mind full.

Solid moveable panels {available in small (50/80W @ 7-8kgs) medium (100/120W @ 9- 12kgs) and large 150/+200W @ +12kgs) are more flexible for achieving the power target and are better for placement to maximise the sun power, whereas fixed panels on roofs just don't make sense at all. For them to work you have to park the vehicle/trailer in the sun and then occasionally move the vehicle to achieve the best sun on your panels. SP's don't work in the shade - full stop.
    With regards to fixed panels, I belive that most off road vans that have panels fitted to the roof. Ie on BL vans, these are removable when on site. I have the same on my Afrispoor, 155w which I use when traveling and then slide it out and connect up when in the bush

18. The Following User Says Thank You to mplester For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by calitzfamily View Post
    I really hope their Engineering is better than their English. If this controller allows my battery to charge at 16.0V or cuts me off at 11.1V or allows me to discharge to 10.5V, I would chuck it in the dustbin.

-----------------------

Flexible panels can actually be very err..... flexible in how you deploy them. Draping them over the bonnet and windscreen is very useful, and elephants don't often tramp on car bonnets and windscreens. A solid panel also has to be out in the sun, and they scratch bonnet, don't stick to windscreens , and get knocked over by kids and warthogs and drunk party goers. And often flexible panels have superior performance under lower light conditions, ESPECIALLY if they are a thin film technology

And for somebody travelling with limited space and VOLUME (how the hell do you fit a large rigid PV panel into a SUV) they are a no brainer worth every cent.

----------------------

So be careful with throwing the flexibles out with the dish water.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2019/01/16 at 04:19 AM.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mplester View Post
    With regards to fixed panels, I belive that most off road vans that have panels fitted to the roof. Ie on BL vans, these are removable when on site. I have the same on my Afrispoor, 155w which I use when traveling and then slide it out and connect up when in the bush
    Best most cost effective solution if you can do it.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by mplester View Post
    Great, so yours are in actual fact not fixed. My BiL's BL has solid SP's fixed with bolts and Sikaflex or the like. He now has to go through the pain of converting them to removeables. Semi flex panels are another story most are glued to the roofs.

Quote Originally Posted by TRON View Post
    Great, so yours are in actual fact not fixed. My BiL's BL has solid SP's fixed with bolts and Sikaflex or the like. He now has to go through the pain of converting them to removeables. Semi flex panels are another story most are glued to the roofs.
    No they are held in place with 2 bolts and simply pull out. One man operation in and out

24. The Following User Says Thank You to mplester For This Useful Post:

I'll set up with the three tent poles and pegs supplied , at a 45 degree

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    I really hope their Engineering is better than their English. If this controller allows my battery to charge at 16.1V or cuts me off at 12.1V or allows me to discharge to 10.5V, I would chuck it in the dustbin.

-----------------------

Flexible panels can actually be very err..... flexible in how you deploy them. Draping them over the bonnet and windscreen is very useful, and elephants don't often tramp on car bonnets and windscreens. A solid panel also has to be out in the sun, and they scratch bonnet, don't stick to windscreens , and get knocked over by kids and warthogs and drunk party goers. And often flexible panels have superior performance under lower light conditions, ESPECIALLY if they are a thin film technology

And for somebody travelling with limited space and VOLUME (how the hell do you fit a large rigid PV panel into a SUV) they are a no brainer worth every cent.

----------------------

So be careful with throwing the flexibles out with the dish water.
    Finally. Thank you. If even I could work that out for myself - I dont understand why there is this constant debate about "yes but I WONT PAY THAT MUCh blabla die bla. Or is it a question of always having to be right........
    Plain and simple - if glass panels are not practical for you - get a fold up. If a glass panel works for you - get one. The end. But don't pretend its just about the money.
    Fiddler

27. The Following User Says Thank You to EHoffmann For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast