New solar system - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: New solar system

Quote Originally Posted by EHoffmann View Post
    Finally. Thank you. If even I could work that out for myself - I dont understand why there is this constant debate about "yes but I WONT PAY THAT MUCh blabla die bla. Or is it a question of always having to be right........
    Plain and simple - if glass panels are not practical for you - get a fold up. If a glass panel works for you - get one. The end. But don't pretend its just about the money.
    Of course you must buy what you want. I do not notice thiis so-called "money"
    debate
    you are refering to in this thread. The value of threads like this is to learn from others.

I also assume that you are aware that you are right (in your mind).

Cool Re: New solar system

[QUOTE=Fluffy;4068473]I really hope their Engineering is better than their English. If this controller allows my battery to charge at 16.1V or cuts me off at 12.1V or allows me to discharge to 10.5V, I would chuck it in the dustbin.

-----------------------

Flexible panels can actually be very err..... flexible in how you deploy them. Draping them over the bonnet and windscreen is very useful​​and really warms up your car in winter for that extra comfort , and elephants don't often tramp on car bonnets and windscreens. A solid panel also has to be out in the sun​​this is something I never guessed , and they scratch bonnet, don't stick to windscreens , and get knocked over by kids and warthogs and drunk party goers​​good point. And often flexible panels have superior performance under lower light conditions, ESPECIALLY if they are a thin film technology​​WELL this is also true in the case of thin film technology glass panels

And for somebody travelling with limited space and VOLUME (how the hell do you fit a large rigid PV panel into a SUV) ​don't you have one of these large panels welded onto the roof . Many people including electricians.manage perfectly with the solid panels they are a no brainer worth every cent.

----------------------

So be careful with throwing the flexibles out with the dish water.[​​well if you have made a wrong decision in panel selection that dish water is going to be cold./QUOTE]

There are solutions to every problem and I am sure that most people try to develop and grow their knowledge of topics that are as complex as solar power. Each has his right to his own opinion as long as it is the same as mine

Fluffy I always enjoy you and Eggies bickering and jostling. Also the great posts that you have always added value to some ones problems and queries.

Quote Originally Posted by TRON View Post
    Of course you must buy what you want. I do not notice thiis so-called "money"
    debate
    you are refering to in this thread. The value of threads like this is to learn from others.

I also assume that you are aware that you are right (in your mind).
    You haven't noticed this "money" thing. ? Check your browser and see what internet forum site you are on. Cant be this one.

This is one aspect of this forum that really crawls under my skin and gets my blood boiling. People who don't have enough brains or money to think clearly or logically. They have a serious chip on their shoulder because they are too poor and/or to stupid or lazy to do anything with their lives and attack people who have done so.

Like calling others stupid or lazy because they happen to have a car with speedocruise or electric windows or electric seats or, gasp OH NO "keyless entry and stop/start button". The ones that buy their kids a decent safe car and pay for an education, even though this is what they have worked for their lives, to give their kids the best they can, are labelled idiots.

It really really upsets me.

Maybe I rather just shut up. There are people from other side of the boerewors curtain who may recognize who I am referring to.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

I think the OP ran away
    Gerrit Laubscher

Angola sempre

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lirritma For This Useful Post:

One value mentioned at 12.1V that I cannot get. Please help me out.

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    So this means you understood the 16.1V??

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Leanercamper For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    Typo's - should be 11.1V and 16.0V respectively.

Same end result, The tolerances are too wide for the application.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Outdoor Warehouse also sells these- looks quite similar.
    Friend of mine bought a set and is very happy with it.
    https://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.za/p...ng-solar-panelClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Snomaster solar panels.JPG 
Views:	253 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	516936
    Last edited by Skyscout; 2019/01/21 at 08:04 AM. Reason: spelling

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyscout For This Useful Post:

Here I open the link in excitement, thinking they discovered a new solar system with possibility of life.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.

That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

I am quite happy with my setup.
    4 x 50 pv panels on a stand with a sun tracker, one 105a/h deep cycle battery, 20a mppt controller for 2 cf50 fridge/freezers. Run this setup for 28 days with some totally overcast days in between without a hitch.

I suppose it depends on space and funds available and how you intend to use your solar setup. I have an old 80W Shell rigid panel that slips into a channel under the roof rack on my Defender. It can be slid out to hang in front of the windscreen or removed entirely and connected via an extension lead. I have found it will provide just enough power to run my 45L Engel fridge 24/7 if I reposition the panel several times during the day. It essentially takes up no space in the vehicle.

I was interested in a flexible panel. I've seen several variations - some roll up which seems to take up more packing space than a rigid flat panel as far as I can tell. And they need to be cared for as they are quite expensive. While browsing eBay in the USA, I came across a guy selling fold-up panels he had made himself (allegedly for use in the Alaskan bush). They seemed a bit basic, but the price was right (about $80 - somewhere around R1000?). The claimed output of this roughly 1200 X 800 rig is 75W, which I think is relatively accurate (it seems many fold/rollup models have very magic solar cells that claim to give out much more W/M2).

I added the wiring and a $20 Chinese solar regulator to make it work either on its own of with my installed solar on the Defender. I think it was pretty good value for money, and I assume the guy actually made a bit of a profit on the unit. The whole thing folds up and stores in an old braai grid cover. Food for thought
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2462.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	464.9 KB 
ID:	516994   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2457.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	373.3 KB 
ID:	516995   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2456.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	373.2 KB 
ID:	516996  

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CanAmSteve For This Useful Post:

I need a portable/small 15W solar system and was quoted R5000 to make it. Who will make it for less?

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoisJS View Post
    I need a portable/small 15W solar system and was quoted R5000 to make it. Who will make it for less?

Have you tried Set Solar, a bit far, but maybe worth your while
    https://www.setsolar.co.za/

Landcruiser 79 Series D/Cab 4.2L Diesel
    Bush Lapa Miskruier (no: 34)

Quote Originally Posted by Skyscout View Post
    Outdoor Warehouse also sells these- looks quite similar.
    Friend of mine bought a set and is very happy with it.
    https://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.za/p...ng-solar-panelClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Snomaster solar panels.JPG 
Views:	253 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	516936
    Thanks Skyscout, thinking of going this route myself. Does your friend have bush performance specs to share?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to !Xoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks for this thread, really saves on school fees. I don’t tow or roof rack, so minimal faff is important. Also, want to be less reliant on mains or vehicle charging. After searching high and low (here, US, Oz), the Snomaster 150w solar blanket idea (small foldable panels, MPPT, 6m extension) appeals. I plan to run a Snomaster 87 litre Expedition Series off it, via the Snomaster battery box. Yes, I know, it’s all the same brand; but I have 2 reasons for this: (1) quality, (2) after sales service. The cost/benefit argument is settled in my mind by limited vehicle space and the necessity of a fridge. Usage wise, to date I’ve been getting as far as possible into trips by a full 220v home charge and vehicle charging en-route. I even pack the already frozen meat in separate cooler box with ice, so I can run the fridge at +2C. Now I plan to top up the aux battery, in the box, with the solar blanket on-site. I don’t run lights, campfire and head lamps only. Battery box has USB charging for cellphone, so T4A app can tell me where to go. That’s it. What am I missing? Appreciate any feedback before taking the plunge
    Last edited by !Xoo; 2019/03/10 at 11:12 AM.

For those that consider a rigid panel hard to pack - can you find my solar panel in this photo?

It is in a sliding farme under the roof rack. It can simply flip down in front of the windscreen (handy if you've parked facing north for extra shade) or be removed entirely and positioned easily an an angle incident to the sun. I also have a flexible panel (see earlier reply) and recently tried them out in the Cederberg at +40C running my 45L Engel.

IMO, the rigid panel was simpler to access, use and position. The fold-up panel could really only be laid flat (bonnet or sand) unless some rig was constructed and even then... wind comes up fast. I used the fold-up one day - otherwise the 80W rigid panel was plenty of juice. I just repositioned it every few hours
    Attached Images Attached Images  

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CanAmSteve For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CanAmSteve View Post
    For those that consider a rigid panel hard to pack - can you find my solar panel in this photo?

It is in a sliding farme under the roof rack. It can simply flip down in front of the windscreen (handy if you've parked facing north for extra shade) or be removed entirely and positioned easily an an angle incident to the sun. I also have a flexible panel (see earlier reply) and recently tried them out in the Cederberg at +40C running my 45L Engel.

IMO, the rigid panel was simpler to access, use and position. The fold-up panel could really only be laid flat (bonnet or sand) unless some rig was constructed and even then... wind comes up fast. I used the fold-up one day - otherwise the 80W rigid panel was plenty of juice. I just repositioned it every few hours
    Thanks Steve, great solution; especially as a dual purpose sunshade. I don't plan on fitting a roof rack anytime soon. Take your point about the wind though. Thinking of bungees attached to the eyelets of the solar blanket. Definitely has to be off the ground. Either secured between roof rails on the Fortuner, or on the windscreen secured to the wing mirrors? Saw a guy in the Caribbean who rigged his solar blanket with bungees on top of the cockpit awning of his yacht!

Quote Originally Posted by CanAmSteve View Post

Mine is similar but pulls out from the back underneath the Rtt. Two that is hinged and on a Furnlock slider. I have the option to open only one or two and can also be released from the slider if need be.

I wont even consider flexibles even if they were evenly matched in price to the rigid ones.
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Die SwartKat View Post
    Mine is similar but pulls out from the back underneath the Rtt. Two that is hinged and on a Furnlock slider. I have the option to open only one or two and can also be released from the slider if need be.

I wont even consider flexibles even if they were evenly matched in price to the rigid ones.
    Can you share few photos please?
    Gerrit Laubscher

Angola sempre

Quote Originally Posted by lirritma View Post
    Can you share few photos please?
    Sure, no problem.

Made a note to take and post some photos this afternoon.
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast