Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Results 241 to 256 of 256
  1. #241
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,800
    Thanked: 372

    Default Re: WiFi Smart Switches

    Hi guys, I thought I'd ask here as well. I have a bit of an issue with my Sonoff. It is installed in an steel electrical box outside. When the door of the electrical box is closed I intermittently (though a lot) get that the App reports the switch as offline. Open the door slightly and it is online. Will it help if I replace the stock router I got when my fiber was installed with a more powerful router with more range? Could it be a case of the router not picking up the Sonoff or is the the Sonoff not picking up router?
    Wicus Diedericks

  2. #242
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    407
    Thanked: 1464

    Default Re: WiFi Smart Switches

    Taking the points from the other thread, and adding this snippet of info... it looks like the cabinet is the issue, and the best solution is going to be a wifi device right next to the Sonof.

    You could test it quite easily by setting up your phone as a hot spot and connecting directly to the Sonof, with the door closed. That will give you a good idea where to put the router/wifi device by just moving around.
    "The problem with internet quotes is that they are very often unverified."
    -Abraham Lincoln


  3. #243
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wartburg
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,955
    Thanked: 2616

    Default Re: WiFi Smart Switches

    Quote Originally Posted by Wicd View Post
    Hi guys, I thought I'd ask here as well. I have a bit of an issue with my Sonoff. It is installed in an steel electrical box outside. When the door of the electrical box is closed I intermittently (though a lot) get that the App reports the switch as offline. Open the door slightly and it is online. Will it help if I replace the stock router I got when my fiber was installed with a more powerful router with more range? Could it be a case of the router not picking up the Sonoff or is the the Sonoff not picking up router?
    Your steel box is like a Farady cage, and blocks the signal. A slightly more powerful router might get a better signal to your Sonoff, but the Sonoff will still battle to get a signal back to the router. I have not used Sonoff modules yet, so am not sure if external antennas can be fitted to them? If they can, then first prize would be to fit a small antenna which you can mount on the outside of the box.

    you could also change the box to a plastic or fibreglass box. If that is not possible, you could cut a window into the metal door of your existing box, and glue a plasic plate, or transparent perspex over this opening to seal it to enable a passage for the transmit and receive signals.
    Mike Lauterbach

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:


  5. #244
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,800
    Thanked: 372

    Default Re: WiFi Smart Switches

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    Your steel box is like a Farady cage, and blocks the signal. A slightly more powerful router might get a better signal to your Sonoff, but the Sonoff will still battle to get a signal back to the router. I have not used Sonoff modules yet, so am not sure if external antennas can be fitted to them? If they can, then first prize would be to fit a small antenna which you can mount on the outside of the box.

    you could also change the box to a plastic or fibreglass box. If that is not possible, you could cut a window into the metal door of your existing box, and glue a plasic plate, or transparent perspex over this opening to seal it to enable a passage for the transmit and receive signals.
    I wonder if I drill a largish hole in the door if this will help.
    Wicus Diedericks

  6. #245
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wartburg
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,955
    Thanked: 2616

    Default Re: WiFi Smart Switches

    Quote Originally Posted by Wicd View Post
    I wonder if I drill a largish hole in the door if this will help.
    Like a 60mm holesaw? Yes, that will help
    Mike Lauterbach

  7. #246
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    64
    Posts
    2,572
    Thanked: 1035

    Default Re: WiFi Smart Switches

    One of my boer maak 'n plan methods before the TP-LINK router was to have the router between the roof and ceiling. Signals then only have to go through the ceiling instead of through brick walls. I would think even a strong router would not help if the Sonoff is in a steel box.
    Could you not move the Sonoff and wire in line with the 220V?

  8. #247
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,800
    Thanked: 372

    Default Re: WiFi Smart Switches

    Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    One of my boer maak 'n plan methods before the TP-LINK router was to have the router between the roof and ceiling. Signals then only have to go through the ceiling instead of through brick walls. I would think even a strong router would not help if the Sonoff is in a steel box.
    Could you not move the Sonoff and wire in line with the 220V?
    SOnoff is pretty stuck where it is, otherwise I need to rewire a pump, light and borehole
    Wicus Diedericks

  9. #248
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Tzaneen
    Age
    53
    Posts
    296
    Thanked: 232

    Default Re: WiFi Smart Switches

    Anyone have experience with the Tuya products. Which app works the best with them.
    I have a few sonoff switches but need a earth leakage breaker that I can engage through wifi.
    https://henractech.co.za/shop/smart-...ya-smart-life/
    Don't feed the monkeys!

  10. #249
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,800
    Thanked: 372

    Default Re: WiFi Smart Switches

    HI guys I need some help again. I am adding some outdoor security lights that are turned on via a Sonoff switch inside. Idea is to use them when the kids want to play outside in the dark as well. Now I have been toying with the idea of adding some PIR sensors to turn them on when they pick up movement. Most Sonoff are for indoor use only. But I have found these : https://reliablestore.co.za/products...smart_campaign

    Will they work? Any other ideas how to do this? Any comments on the store, they do seem reliable
    Wicus Diedericks

  11. #250
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    33
    Posts
    188
    Thanked: 110

    Default Re: WiFi Smart Switches

    Quote Originally Posted by Wicd View Post
    HI guys I need some help again. I am adding some outdoor security lights that are turned on via a Sonoff switch inside. Idea is to use them when the kids want to play outside in the dark as well. Now I have been toying with the idea of adding some PIR sensors to turn them on when they pick up movement. Most Sonoff are for indoor use only. But I have found these : https://reliablestore.co.za/products...smart_campaign

    Will they work? Any other ideas how to do this? Any comments on the store, they do seem reliable
    I have those PIR in my house. I use home assistant on a raspberry PI to control everything but I just tested with the Sonoff app and it is able to turn on a light if a PIR is triggered.

    Keep in mind the PIR are RF 433 and not WIFI / bluetooth, so you need a bridge.

    I use this as a bridge
    https://reliablestore.co.za/products...c9ebeabc&_ss=r

    I have never used that store though.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2021-06-28 at 18.56.14.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	620835

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2021-06-28 at 18.56.31.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	620836
    Last edited by PsyPhin; 2021/06/28 at 07:00 PM.
    Dont take anything I say as actual advice or fact. I dont.

    Haval H9 2.0T AWD
    Ex 2019 Ranger DC XLT Manual 4x4
    Ex 2017 Ranger DC XL Auto 4x4

  12. #251
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    35
    Posts
    33
    Thanked: 39

    Default Re: WiFi Smart Switches

    Quote Originally Posted by Wicd View Post
    HI guys I need some help again. I am adding some outdoor security lights that are turned on via a Sonoff switch inside. Idea is to use them when the kids want to play outside in the dark as well. Now I have been toying with the idea of adding some PIR sensors to turn them on when they pick up movement. Most Sonoff are for indoor use only. But I have found these : https://reliablestore.co.za/products...smart_campaign

    Will they work? Any other ideas how to do this? Any comments on the store, they do seem reliable
    That looks like a normal sensor with an additional partial housing. Not convinced it would be totally waterproofed with a little hat.

    I use this pir with bridge to turn on my passage light above the stairs. Trigger on, delay 12 seconds, turn off. I also trigger lights with a door sensor, after a certain time. Otherwise the kids must tell Google when they go outside (Google nest). Or use a rf remote.

  13. #252
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,800
    Thanked: 372

    Default Re: WiFi Smart Switches

    Thanks guys. If I use this switch: https://www.takealot.com/sonoff-t2us...g/PLID55232075 which has RF433 would I still need a bridge? Any other outdoor sensors I can use to turn on the lights?
    Wicus Diedericks

  14. #253
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    35
    Posts
    33
    Thanked: 39

    Default Re: WiFi Smart Switches

    Quote Originally Posted by Wicd View Post
    Thanks guys. If I use this switch: https://www.takealot.com/sonoff-t2us...g/PLID55232075 which has RF433 would I still need a bridge? Any other outdoor sensors I can use to turn on the lights?
    Do you want the pir to activate this switch? I haven't tried this, but theoretically I would think that it should work, without a bridge. I can play around with it tonight.
    Remember you will need a neutral at the switch, to power the wifi module.

  15. #254
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,800
    Thanked: 372

    Default Re: WiFi Smart Switches

    Quote Originally Posted by Craigm View Post
    Do you want the pir to activate this switch? I haven't tried this, but theoretically I would think that it should work, without a bridge. I can play around with it tonight.
    Remember you will need a neutral at the switch, to power the wifi module.
    I am just looking at options, will have the switch and lights installed shortly, then I thought about adding the PIRs to add a layer of security.
    Wicus Diedericks

  16. #255
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    35
    Posts
    33
    Thanked: 39

    Default Re: WiFi Smart Switches

    Per the video in the link, it's possible to connect the pir to the switch without a bridge. Skip to about 9 minute mark.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K-SDpfoAL4

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Craigm For This Useful Post:


  18. #256
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Age
    65
    Posts
    277
    Thanked: 30

    Default Re: WiFi Smart Switches

    Does anyone have an idea when we can expect the Sonoff POWR3 in South Africa?

    https://itead.cc/product/sonoff-powr3/

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •