Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Default Re: WiFi Smart Switches

Hi guys, I thought I'd ask here as well. I have a bit of an issue with my Sonoff. It is installed in an steel electrical box outside. When the door of the electrical box is closed I intermittently (though a lot) get that the App reports the switch as offline. Open the door slightly and it is online. Will it help if I replace the stock router I got when my fiber was installed with a more powerful router with more range? Could it be a case of the router not picking up the Sonoff or is the the Sonoff not picking up router?
    Wicus Diedericks

Taking the points from the other thread, and adding this snippet of info... it looks like the cabinet is the issue, and the best solution is going to be a wifi device right next to the Sonof.

You could test it quite easily by setting up your phone as a hot spot and connecting directly to the Sonof, with the door closed. That will give you a good idea where to put the router/wifi device by just moving around.
    "The problem with internet quotes is that they are very often unverified."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Wicd View Post
    Hi guys, I thought I'd ask here as well. I have a bit of an issue with my Sonoff. It is installed in an steel electrical box outside. When the door of the electrical box is closed I intermittently (though a lot) get that the App reports the switch as offline. Open the door slightly and it is online. Will it help if I replace the stock router I got when my fiber was installed with a more powerful router with more range? Could it be a case of the router not picking up the Sonoff or is the the Sonoff not picking up router?
    Your steel box is like a Farady cage, and blocks the signal. A slightly more powerful router might get a better signal to your Sonoff, but the Sonoff will still battle to get a signal back to the router. I have not used Sonoff modules yet, so am not sure if external antennas can be fitted to them? If they can, then first prize would be to fit a small antenna which you can mount on the outside of the box.

you could also change the box to a plastic or fibreglass box. If that is not possible, you could cut a window into the metal door of your existing box, and glue a plasic plate, or transparent perspex over this opening to seal it to enable a passage for the transmit and receive signals.
    Mike Lauterbach

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    Your steel box is like a Farady cage, and blocks the signal. A slightly more powerful router might get a better signal to your Sonoff, but the Sonoff will still battle to get a signal back to the router. I have not used Sonoff modules yet, so am not sure if external antennas can be fitted to them? If they can, then first prize would be to fit a small antenna which you can mount on the outside of the box.

you could also change the box to a plastic or fibreglass box. If that is not possible, you could cut a window into the metal door of your existing box, and glue a plasic plate, or transparent perspex over this opening to seal it to enable a passage for the transmit and receive signals.
    I wonder if I drill a largish hole in the door if this will help.
    Wicus Diedericks

I wonder if I drill a largish hole in the door if this will help.
    Like a 60mm holesaw? Yes, that will help
    Mike Lauterbach

One of my boer maak 'n plan methods before the TP-LINK router was to have the router between the roof and ceiling. Signals then only have to go through the ceiling instead of through brick walls. I would think even a strong router would not help if the Sonoff is in a steel box.
    Could you not move the Sonoff and wire in line with the 220V?

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    One of my boer maak 'n plan methods before the TP-LINK router was to have the router between the roof and ceiling. Signals then only have to go through the ceiling instead of through brick walls. I would think even a strong router would not help if the Sonoff is in a steel box.
    Could you not move the Sonoff and wire in line with the 220V?
    SOnoff is pretty stuck where it is, otherwise I need to rewire a pump, light and borehole
    Wicus Diedericks

Anyone have experience with the Tuya products. Which app works the best with them.
    I have a few sonoff switches but need a earth leakage breaker that I can engage through wifi.
    https://henractech.co.za/shop/smart-...ya-smart-life/
    Don't feed the monkeys!

HI guys I need some help again. I am adding some outdoor security lights that are turned on via a Sonoff switch inside. Idea is to use them when the kids want to play outside in the dark as well. Now I have been toying with the idea of adding some PIR sensors to turn them on when they pick up movement. Most Sonoff are for indoor use only. But I have found these : https://reliablestore.co.za/products...smart_campaign

Will they work? Any other ideas how to do this? Any comments on the store, they do seem reliable
    Wicus Diedericks

HI guys I need some help again. I am adding some outdoor security lights that are turned on via a Sonoff switch inside. Idea is to use them when the kids want to play outside in the dark as well. Now I have been toying with the idea of adding some PIR sensors to turn them on when they pick up movement. Most Sonoff are for indoor use only. But I have found these : https://reliablestore.co.za/products...smart_campaign

Will they work? Any other ideas how to do this? Any comments on the store, they do seem reliable
    I have those PIR in my house. I use home assistant on a raspberry PI to control everything but I just tested with the Sonoff app and it is able to turn on a light if a PIR is triggered.

Keep in mind the PIR are RF 433 and not WIFI / bluetooth, so you need a bridge.

I use this as a bridge
    https://reliablestore.co.za/products...c9ebeabc&_ss=r

I have never used that store though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2021-06-28 at 18.56.14.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	620835

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2021-06-28 at 18.56.31.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	620836
    Last edited by PsyPhin; 2021/06/28 at 07:00 PM.
    Dont take anything I say as actual advice or fact. I dont.

Haval H9 2.0T AWD
    Ex 2019 Ranger DC XLT Manual 4x4
    Ex 2017 Ranger DC XL Auto 4x4

That looks like a normal sensor with an additional partial housing. Not convinced it would be totally waterproofed with a little hat.

I use this pir with bridge to turn on my passage light above the stairs. Trigger on, delay 12 seconds, turn off. I also trigger lights with a door sensor, after a certain time. Otherwise the kids must tell Google when they go outside (Google nest). Or use a rf remote.

Thanks guys. If I use this switch: https://www.takealot.com/sonoff-t2us...g/PLID55232075 which has RF433 would I still need a bridge? Any other outdoor sensors I can use to turn on the lights?
    Wicus Diedericks

Thanks guys. If I use this switch: https://www.takealot.com/sonoff-t2us...g/PLID55232075 which has RF433 would I still need a bridge? Any other outdoor sensors I can use to turn on the lights?
    Do you want the pir to activate this switch? I haven't tried this, but theoretically I would think that it should work, without a bridge. I can play around with it tonight.
    Remember you will need a neutral at the switch, to power the wifi module.

Quote Originally Posted by Craigm View Post
    Do you want the pir to activate this switch? I haven't tried this, but theoretically I would think that it should work, without a bridge. I can play around with it tonight.
    Remember you will need a neutral at the switch, to power the wifi module.
    I am just looking at options, will have the switch and lights installed shortly, then I thought about adding the PIRs to add a layer of security.
    Wicus Diedericks

Per the video in the link, it's possible to connect the pir to the switch without a bridge. Skip to about 9 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K-SDpfoAL4

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Craigm For This Useful Post:

Does anyone have an idea when we can expect the Sonoff POWR3 in South Africa?

https://itead.cc/product/sonoff-powr3/

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13