Please recommend: Fenced campsites for camping with small children

Default Please recommend: Fenced campsites for camping with small children

Hi, We are planning on spending 2 weeks over the winter school holidays camping and road tripping in Botswana. We will be sleeping in a camping trailer and will be going with a 4x4. As we have small children we are looking for recommendations of campsites or budget accommodation where children (aged 3 and 5) will be safe from wild animals. They will be spending a lot of time in the car so we need somewhere where they have a bit of freedom. We are fully self-sufficient so we don't need any amenities.

Thanks!

Default Re: Please recommend: Fenced campsites for camping with small children

Fenced campsite in Botswana? Haha, no chance off the top of my head

And define 'safe from wild animals'? Malaria, scorpions and snakes are every where.

Your only option is to stay outside the parks to limit contact with wild animals, but refer to above point. And the campsites will not be fenced anyway.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2019/01/14 at 12:22 PM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Quote Originally Posted by duidelikedave View Post
    We are fully self-sufficient so we don't need any amenities.

Thanks!
    Not so self-sufficient as you should be, you need a fence! 😳

I am trying to think of some.
    Maybe if you stay in Kasane or Maun etc.
    The other places that are relatively safe are on the West side of the panhandle but then you have the dangers of the river, snakes ,etc.
    I actually don't know of any where you would not have to watch your kids.

Road tripping and camping with a trailer and small kids in Bots is doable, but unfortunately with only unfenced camps inside/outside parks there is no guarantee that wild animals wonít come around to say hi or to sas out for a meal - joke.

But with adequate care and flexibility all of you could have a great time. Flexibility and properly coordinated looong days and ample action for the kids must be part of your planning.

Swimming pools! although in winter can still be a blessing in warm Bots. Boat trips are always great fun for adults and bigger kids, yours might find the 3,5hr trip excessive after the first hour ( however you could negotiate a shorter trip)

Remember breaking down and setting up
    camp although fun for kids the first or second time can eventually be a big pain, so donít plan too many of these. You will need stay over nights to get where you want to be but then plan to stay at a place for 2 or 3 days.

Good luck planning your adventure - remember to take proper malaria precautions, see your doctor for advice.
    Last edited by TRON; 2019/01/14 at 12:58 PM.

I'd say the northern KNP is a better idea with small kids.

Starting off in the Western Cape to Bots will basically use 4 days (2 days there and 2 days back) longer than what us Vaalies require to get to Nortern Bots.

If you target Kasane or Maun (takes us 2 days there and 2 days back) you will need a minimum of 10 days to get there and back. With properly planned stops in both RSA and Bots you could still do it if you target only one of them.

Or,

Maybe consider doing the KTP both RSA and Bots side.

What is on your wishlist?
    Last edited by TRON; 2019/01/14 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TRON View Post
    Starting off in the Western Cape to Bots will basically use 4 days (2 days there and 2 days back) longer than what us Vaalies require to get to Nortern Bots.

If you target Kasane or Maun (takes us 2 days there and 2 days back) you will need a minimum of 10 days to get there and back. With properly planned stops in both RSA and Bots you could still do it if you target only one of them.
    Following... but sadly because of the above
    2015 VW Amarok 4motion Auto
    2011 Conqueror Companion

Thumbs up Re: Please recommend: Fenced campsites for camping with small children

Thanks for all the replied. I travelled previously from Caprivi down to Maun -> Nata -> Kasane. It was spectacular and all I want to do is go back with my family but sadly it seems this might not happen until they are much older to either stay at Oupa's on the farm or to go with.

We have a friend visiting from overseas and perhaps it will just be the two of us doing the trip over 21 days. Rough route outline: https://goo.gl/maps/NCA3edr9nbk

I will just take the kids with. Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    I will just take the kids with. Simple.
    Yup, my kids both started camping in unfenced camps with predators about when they were babies, and carried on through toddler-hood to full adult-hood. It's just a matter of being sensible. I'd be much more worried about malaria.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    ..It's just a matter of being sensible. I'd be much more worried about malaria.
    Exactly. My kid also did unfenced camping from very young.

Plus the OP's route map does not take him near any place where there are predators except maybe Elephant sands on rare occasions.

Take them with but bath them before dark, but on boots or tekkies or let them go into the tent and watch a movie. Get a UV light and show them the scorpions at night. They will soon understand why they have to wear their boots.

During the day let them have as much fun as they can possibly have. Botswana is a giant sand pit for a kid!

Just take malaria prophylaxis.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2019/01/14 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by duidelikedave View Post
    Thanks for all the replied. I travelled previously from Caprivi down to Maun -> Nata -> Kasane. It was spectacular and all I want to do is go back with my family but sadly it seems this might not happen until they are much older to either stay at Oupa's on the farm or to go with.

We have a friend visiting from overseas and perhaps it will just be the two of us doing the trip over 21 days. Rough route outline: https://goo.gl/maps/NCA3edr9nbk
    You don't have to change your plans to travel with your family for fear of unfenced campsites. I always meet families travelling with their children, with ease. And for you it will be with a trailer, an added advantage that you sleep next to them. I would seek the doctors recommendation on travelling with kids, malaria in mind, a good first aid kit. You mentioned that you are self sufficient, that's a plus.
    Above all, during the trip, the kids must be supervised all the time. Go out there and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by TRON View Post

Or,

Maybe consider doing the KTP both RSA and Bots side.

What is on your wishlist?

Definitely NO !!
    KTP (Botswana side) is the worst risk when it comes to animal visits in camp.
    If KTP then only Twee Rivieren or Nossob.

For the rest of Botswana, consider Woodlands stop-over near Francistown, Muchenje camp site near Chobe (western side) or Big 5 Lodge in Kazungula.
    From there you can do day trips into parks which will suit the time plan with the kiddies.

Don't try to camp in any parks if you consider the wild animals a treat or teach them the sensible way how to move around.

As Lekhubu and Tony say, Malaria is the bigger killer than Lions or Elephants, so are scorpions and snakes.
    Last edited by Kalahari Safari; 2019/01/15 at 09:51 AM.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post

For the rest of Botswana, consider Woodlands stop-over near Francistown, Muchenje camp site near Chobe (western side) or Big 5 Lodge in Kazungula.
    From there you can do day trips into parks which will suit the time plan with the kiddies.
    With this plan you can also include Maun (camps like Crocodile camp, Audi camp etc.) with day trips into Moremi if you have enough time. Traveling from Cape Town, consider driving through Namibia instead of Southern part of Botswana. That is what I will do next time when the main destination is Maun, Kasane area. A lot of slow driving through Southern and SE- Bots that will just eat up you time.
    2013 Pajero Sport 3.2 MT

Quote Originally Posted by Hgl View Post
    With this plan you can also include Maun (camps like Crocodile camp, Audi camp etc.) with day trips into Moremi if you have enough time. Traveling from Cape Town, consider driving through Namibia instead of Southern part of Botswana. That is what I will do next time when the main destination is Maun, Kasane area. A lot of slow driving through Southern and SE- Bots that will just eat up you time.
    Thanks! This is a great tip. There are long barren stretches in Namibia but at least the roads are in good condition and you can cover longer stretches per day.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    Definitely NO !!
    KTP (Botswana side) is the worst risk when it comes to animal visits in camp.
    If KTP then only Twee Rivieren or Nossob.

Don't try to camp in any parks if you consider the wild animals a treat or teach them the sensible way how to move around.

As Lekhubu and Tony say, Malaria is the bigger killer than Lions or Elephants, so are scorpions and snakes.
    You so right I should have added the words "in the vicinty of Twee Riveren/Nossob"

Why is the question?
    Why not wait a couple of years so they can remember this special holiday and also you would be more relaxed?

Quote Originally Posted by sylvia000 View Post
    Why is the question?
    Why not wait a couple of years so they can remember this special holiday and also you would be more relaxed?
    You never know what will happen in the future.

Why not now and again in a few years (maybe even ever year) These experiences are good for both parents and children alike and cultivates family bonds in a different direction. I did it with my children and for the past 3 years I have done it with my granddaughter who is now 8. Took her to Hwange at 5yrs old and boy what a pleasure.