Mobile HF best options?

Default Mobile HF best options?

Hi, built my 706MKIIG in the bakkie, and looking at some HF mobile antenna ideas, something compact and for 40M only. All other bands will mainly be dipoles/inverted v's when im out in the sticks. Any ideas/suggestions?
    2019 Isuzu 2.5 D-Teq Supercab
    2004 Ford 2.5 Ranger Supercab
    Jurgens XT-140 Trailer

Default Re: Mobile HF best options?

Quote Originally Posted by Vlam86 View Post
    Hi, built my 706MKIIG in the bakkie, and looking at some HF mobile antenna ideas, something compact and for 40M only. All other bands will mainly be dipoles/inverted v's when im out in the sticks. Any ideas/suggestions?
    An Option:
    Depends what your budget is but the Icom AH4 ATU (R3k 2nd hand) plugs into the 706 and tunes almost instantly at the push of the PTT. With any length antenna it will tune just about everywhere.
    Needless to say that the antenna length for 40m should be around 10m long (1/4 wave assumed), so anything less = inefficiency.
    I use a 108 Inch whip and the AH4 and 706. When 'in the field' you can just add a length of wire to the end of the whip to get better efficiency, no need for inverted V's.

Look at Hustlers too.

Quote Originally Posted by Leanercamper View Post
    An Option:
    Depends what your budget is but the Icom AH4 ATU (R3k 2nd hand) plugs into the 706 and tunes almost instantly at the push of the PTT. With any length antenna it will tune just about everywhere.
    Needless to say that the antenna length for 40m should be around 10m long (1/4 wave assumed), so anything less = inefficiency.
    I use a 108 Inch whip and the AH4 and 706. When 'in the field' you can just add a length of wire to the end of the whip to get better efficiency, no need for inverted V's.

Look at Hustlers too.
    The AH4 gives you plenty of options with any attached wire bits.

I have used a blue coil (40m) with a 108" whip with good success. I also used a Hustler, with about the same results. The Hustler is just easier to use if you want to play on other bands as well.

Thanks for all the info gents, AH4 tuner will be on my watch list and then ill play around with antennas. Will look at the various swop shops etc. Just have to be carefull of scammers, seems to be growing in numbers by the day!
    2019 Isuzu 2.5 D-Teq Supercab
    2004 Ford 2.5 Ranger Supercab
    Jurgens XT-140 Trailer

Took me a long time to settle what is possible and what is affordable. Managed to get a Yaesu 857D and ATAS 120 antenna.
    The permutations are just staggering. Anyways I intend to fit that lot to the cruiser next week some time and see how it works out. 73
    2012 Troopy
    Swambo Nissan Hardbody 3.0td 4x4

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kocourek For This Useful Post: