Discovery 3 TDV6 random faults. Not able to start

Default Discovery 3 TDV6 random faults. Not able to start

Hi all,

I have a 2009 TDV6 Discovery 3. I have had most of the normal D3 issues.
    From yesterday it started showing an fault message on the radio. System Shutting down Vehicle fault.
    While driving, the radio and climate control centre panel would then die, and the Instrument cluster would stop showing the time and ext temperature, which by my reckoning, is communicated from the centre radio and climate control console. But the engine does not cut out or go into limp mode.

Once the fault appears, the hazards start flashing, but the indicators on the instrument cluster do not show up, neither do the lights for the headlamps, but the lights are on. While driving after about 5-10 minutes, everything would return back to normal.

If you stop the vehicle while in the fault mode, you cannot get it started again. But it randomly clears the fault after a few minutes to an hour, and you can start the vehicle.

Has anybody experienced similar problems?

This guy seems to have the same problem, we checked the plugs at the back of the radio and climate control

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...hutdown-88258/
    Last edited by PieterGeldenhuys; 2019/01/08 at 06:58 PM.

Default Re: Discovery 3 TDV6 random faults. Not able to start

Pieter, ask in the Land Rover section, you will find more help there.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

Have you done a diagnostic? Have you checked sunroof drain not leaking onto BCU?

Hi Pieter

I have exactly the same problem you had in January 2019, but on a 2008 V8. How did you resolve yours? Regards Andre Basson
    Last edited by Andre Basson; 2020/01/13 at 01:40 PM.

Check alternator.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

Thank you for the suggestion lizardalpha.

The alternator was replaced last year by Walter Fleishack of LRXtreme, after it started moaning in the typical way of a bearing going. It was still doing its job properly when it was replaced. The battery is fairly new, of the AGM-type and strong.

The problem started while in Cape Town, after many miles through the karoo and Tankwa, mostly on gravel roads and with extreme heat.

There is definitley a correlation with interior heat.

I wrote (almost?) everything I observed down this morning so I don't forget. Here goes:

Symptoms – Wednesday (8 January 2020)

• Was on holiday in CT
    • Car was parked in sun at shopping centre for about thirty minutes
    • Was a hot day on the west coast
    • Started fine, but a few metres further:
      • Doors unlocked
      • Radio shut down
      • A/C shut down
      • Outside temperature measure disappeared, showing --------
      • Time display disappeared, showing --------
      • Indicators and hazard wouldn’t work
      • Engine and all other controls working normally

• A few metres further everything back to normal
    • After standing for about four hours, no problems on the way back to holiday flat in Tamboerskloof

Symptoms - Friday

• Didn’t use the car on Thursday, but phoned Walter at LRXtreme - he thought it might be the instrument cluster.
    • On Friday morning the car was partly in the sun when we were to depart to journey further
    • It would not start displaying a message about an HDC error, and “System shutting down”
    • After the door had stood open for a while, the car started normally, and drove trouble free to the Stellenbosch area.
    • Car stood in sun while we were having lunch
    • Took a while to get it started again, and it cut out a few times, just as it did the first time
    • By now of course I suspected that it had something to do with the temperature inside the car.
    • Arrived at destination outside Robertson
    • Car stood partly in the sun, and it took one or two attempts to get it to start out around 18:30
    • Cut out once or twice during the trip
    • Returning at around midnight, no problems, started first time and did not cut out

Symptoms – Saturday

• Moved the car to a shaded area in the morning. Slight trouble to start. Left windows open.
    • Midday moved it to new shade – no problem to start
    • When wanting to leave at about 15:00 to attend a function, refused to start at all, despite being in shade. Outside temperature in the region of 38. Used another car.
    • Decided to return home the next day if the car would start in the morning.

Symptoms – Sunday

• Started car 08:00 without a problem. Kept it idling while we packed
    • Left at 08:30 and did not switch off while refuelling
    • First two refuels, system cut out during or after refuelling, and with second a number of times again while travelling. Outside temperature was 35 mostly. The top roll of the dash was very hot as the sun was overhead. Kept A/C blowing at max.
    • Last stop was late afternoon in Bloemfontein and outside temperature was down to about 30. It did not cut out again for the rest of the journey and would restart when switched off at home.

Conclusion:
    With an outside temperature of about 32 and higher a component (or more than one), presumably in the cluster (or ECU), overheats and shuts a part of the system down. The HDC warning is strange, I suspect it may not have anything to do with that or the ABS? While driving south of Wuppertal to Ceres, used low range and crawl briefly, withut a problem.

The warning while shutting is not easy to read fully as it disappears fairly quickly.

I'm not sure about the flashing, but my brother who followed us into Robertson said that the hazards flashed occasionally. RIMI, who repairs clusters, says it doesn't sound like a cluster problem, rather an ECU problem.
    Last edited by Andre Basson; 2020/01/13 at 03:33 PM.

Strange indeed. Could very well be completely electronic somewhere.

All I know is that my Disco did rather strange things when the alternator was not charging correctly, though I had no issues starting it. IIRC, some of the instrument cluster would just go off whilst driving, then come back on, then go off and so forth. I don't recall the hazards going on. It also felt like the whole car shut off once or twice, which was a bit scary, but maybe it was just cause everything went off.

I believe if anyone can get to the bottom of it quickly it would probably be Walter from LTExtreme, or Peter and team from Overland Worx( I recall they changed their name, hope I got the right new name). Maybe a wise option would be to call either of them and find out if they have dealt with similar.
    Last edited by lizardalpha; 2020/01/13 at 03:45 PM.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE

I am in Roodepoort, only wrote on the post of Pieter Geldenhuys, who is in Potch, as the symptoms seem to be exactly the same. My car is a 4.4 V8 though.

I also know Walter well, as he has been servicing both my LRs now for quite a while - only schlep is that he is about 90km from me so the full delivery and collection trip is quite time consuming and expensive. But he will be the one to sort it out, just thought that if I could find out what the diagnosis was in Pieter's case it will save time and perhaps money was well.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Basson View Post
    I am in Roodepoort, only wrote on the post of Pieter Geldenhuys, who is in Potch, as the symptoms seem to be exactly the same. My car is a 4.4 V8 though.

I also know Walter well, as he has been servicing both my LRs now for quite a while - only schlep is that he is about 90km from me so the full delivery and collection trip is quite time consuming and expensive. But he will be the one to sort it out, just thought that if I could find out what the diagnosis was in Pieter's case it will save time and perhaps money was well.
    Saw my mistake and fixed it whilst you were busy with this post
    2011 Freelander 2 SE