Oil catch can - 1kzte - what to buy?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Oil catch can - 1kzte - what to buy?

Looking for an oil catch can for my 1kz 01 prado.

No idea what to get and from where...

Anyone have some knowledge around this?

Default Re: Oil catch can - 1kzte - what to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Shwam View Post
    Looking for an oil catch can for my 1kz 01 prado.

No idea what to get and from where...

Anyone have some knowledge around this?
    Japan auto, or make your own. Lots of info available on google and youtube.

Cheers

Anybody in the Eastern Cape??
    • 1960's Land-Rover Series 2A 88" powered by Isuzu C190 (Camping, Fishing, Hunting, Towing, Boat launching, Rubbish tipper, Over landing, 4x4 tracks, 4x4 obstacles, Recovery vehicle, Sunday drives and Daily drive)
    • 2002 Toyota Hilux 3.0KZTE d/c 4x4 (long distance trips)
    • Want to need list:Rooftop tent, Snorkel, Onca Offroad bumper, Long range tank, New suspension, Intercooler, Custom Canvas interior, Winch, Recovery kit, Dual Battery system, Solar panel, Fridge/Freezer with unlimited beer, Unlimited fuel supply and time to travel the world in my 4by.

See there are a lot of catch cans available at www.autostyle.co.za.

Do not know the quality at all.
    FOTON TUNLAND 4X4 LUX
    UPGRADES:"LEVEL IT" SPACER KIT,2" LIFT WITH RANCHO ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS,ROCKSPIDER 4X4: BASHPLATE,ROCKSLIDERS,REARBUMPER/TOWBAR COMBINATION. UTILITY BOXES FOR AIR COMPRESSOR AND RECOVERY GEAR. DIY CANOPY. NEW CUSTOM BUMPER.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to UITZICHT For This Useful Post:

Best to buy and modify or just DIY to required spec?
    • 1960's Land-Rover Series 2A 88" powered by Isuzu C190 (Camping, Fishing, Hunting, Towing, Boat launching, Rubbish tipper, Over landing, 4x4 tracks, 4x4 obstacles, Recovery vehicle, Sunday drives and Daily drive)
    • Want to need list:Rooftop tent, Snorkel, Onca Offroad bumper, Long range tank, New suspension, Intercooler, Custom Canvas interior, Winch, Recovery kit, Dual Battery system, Solar panel, Fridge/Freezer with unlimited beer, Unlimited fuel supply and time to travel the world in my 4by.

Quote Originally Posted by Splitpin View Post
    Best to buy and modify or just DIY to required spec?
    DIY: all it is, is a tube with some pot scourers, an inlet and an outlet.

Do a Youtube search on "oil catch can". Some PVC odds and ends and some barbed / threaded fittings from the plumbing section.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post

Do a Youtube search on "oil catch can". Some PVC odds and ends and some barbed / threaded fittings from the plumbing section.
    Thanks Jelo

I'm going to make use of my resources and make a s/s one. Would one want to open it again? And with a breather or without a breather?

Thanks Jelo

I'm going to make use of my resources and make a s/s one. Would one want to open it again? And with a breather or without a breather?
    I'd want to open it for periodic cleaning. And a breather with a filter, yes.
    Percivamus

I'd want to open it for periodic cleaning. And a breather with a filter, yes.
    I agree with the cleaning.

Why would one fit a breather?

I agree with the cleaning.

Why would one fit a breather?
    Think about it: you're catching POSITIVE CRANKCASE PRESSURE gas...........this also means that there could be negative pressure (vacuum).

If you don't have a vent to atmosphere..........
    Percivamus

I have purchased a catch can when I still had the terrano. I connected it from the breather on the tappet cover to the inlet of the catch can then from the outlet just into the "atmosphere"

Did not work at all. Had to connect the outlet to the air intake (as per OEM fitted catch can which I removed) before it actually had any effect.

Seemed to me that it needed that "suction" created by the air intake in order for the breather "fumes" to make it all the way to the catch can.

Then I tried to disconnect the catch can and just let the breather do as pleased without "catching" the oily fumes. did nothing. seemed then to rather "breathe" out of the oil dipstick cavity.... (I suppose a little sump compression)

whether this was a problem with the terrano I wouldn't know, but I reconnected the catch can as described above and sold the terrano. I see it is still going strong though....

Excuse my ignorance but what is a catch can and why is it used..... the benefits?
    Where or how is it typically connected?

A oil catch can is typically a device that intercepts a pipe that goes from the tappet cover to air intake. Without this device the excess oil vapors that need to be “breathed” enter the air intake coating everything in its path with an oily layer. Eventually reducing efficiency of the intercooler due to oil ingress. Also your engine is sucking in oily air which is less than ideal.

I believe it is routed in this manner to satisfy the greenies an tree huggers.

I installed a catch can that vents to atmosphere with an air filter. It catches quite a bit of oil with an engine that gas perfect compression. Looks a bit dodgy as it looks like smoke and the engine needs a wash more frequently due to light oil mist in engine bay.
    Pieter Greyling
    ONE LIFE, LIVE IT!
    ORRA: Z85

-Land Rover Defender 110 Td5
    -BMW G650 xChallenge

Originally I thought so too especially after seeing what the brand-name cans cost.
    However after some research I found quite a few reports indicating increased oil consumption and pressure after DIY and/or cheap-ass Chinese jobbies were fitted. So I capitulated and forked out cash for the Flashlube Pro model - time will tell ...
    Last edited by TheoM; 2019/06/14 at 07:59 AM.
    UZJ 42 LX: Olive (Sold)
    HDJ 75 RV Troopy

17. The Following User Says Thank You to TheoM For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by leonlieb View Post
    I have purchased a catch can when I still had the terrano. I connected it from the breather on the tappet cover to the inlet of the catch can then from the outlet just into the "atmosphere"

Did not work at all. Had to connect the outlet to the air intake (as per OEM fitted catch can which I removed) before it actually had any effect.

Seemed to me that it needed that "suction" created by the air intake in order for the breather "fumes" to make it all the way to the catch can.

Then I tried to disconnect the catch can and just let the breather do as pleased without "catching" the oily fumes. did nothing. seemed then to rather "breathe" out of the oil dipstick cavity.... (I suppose a little sump compression)

whether this was a problem with the terrano I wouldn't know, but I reconnected the catch can as described above and sold the terrano. I see it is still going strong though....
    Hey Leon, long time no see.

Those 2.7TDs seemed to love having some sump pressure. My first motor I had, and drowned, pushed its dipstick out constantly. The motor I replaced the drowned engine with, did exactly the same.

You are right in saying that the slight vacuum created by the resistance of the air cleaner makes a lot more vapour at the end of the pipe in the intake. It could be the vacuum, and possibly also the drastic temp change as it meets with the intake air, and condenses.

I mentioned this in other threads already, but what I found, is that there was a transference of pressure between the tappet cover and the sump (seen on the dipstick). What I did, was connect the tappet cover breather to the dipstick tube, and T from there to my catch can. From the catch can I drop down to the chassis member and breath to atmosphere. I still have air movement at the end of the pipe, but hardly even have a oily residue. Since 2008 I did this, I have not seen a drop of oil on a driveway, or oil on my chassis member. I empty out about 100ml of oil gunk every 6 months or so, so I am happy it is doing something.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

19. The Following User Says Thank You to bfreesani For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pjf110 View Post
    A oil catch can is typically a device that intercepts a pipe that goes from the tappet cover to air intake. Without this device the excess oil vapors that need to be “breathed” enter the air intake coating everything in its path with an oily layer. Eventually reducing efficiency of the intercooler due to oil ingress. Also your engine is sucking in oily air which is less than ideal.

I believe it is routed in this manner to satisfy the greenies an tree huggers.

I installed a catch can that vents to atmosphere with an air filter. It catches quite a bit of oil with an engine that gas perfect compression. Looks a bit dodgy as it looks like smoke and the engine needs a wash more frequently due to light oil mist in engine bay.
    Thanks for the info.
    My hilux does not have an inter cooler. Does this mean it would not apply to my engine?

Quote Originally Posted by WayneMan View Post
    Thanks for the info.
    My hilux does not have an inter cooler. Does this mean it would not apply to my engine?
    The Turbo, Intake manifold etc etc also gets affected not just the IC.
    UZJ 42 LX: Olive (Sold)
    HDJ 75 RV Troopy

22. The Following User Says Thank You to TheoM For This Useful Post:

Think about it: you're catching POSITIVE CRANKCASE PRESSURE gas...........this also means that there could be negative pressure (vacuum).

If you don't have a vent to atmosphere..........
    For sure!

Reason for my question is that from the factory it doesn't have a breather. All one wants to do is catch the oil....so you install a filter and let the pressure continue to the intake/turbo without oil. Doesn't the turbo kind of help with suction? Would adding a breather not make suction less? Just trying to see this from all perspectives.

I have two places I would like to breath, to make my bunny hugger depression go away, one would be a venturi nipple in the exhaust, but I only have a 1.5 meter long exhaust, and not sure that is going to work well. The other is to my diesel tank. Hell, I can do with every ml extra fuel I can find. But then I have to make the fuel tank breath a lot, and that happens in my engine compartment behind the firewall, connected to the 5 breathers from my diffs, gearbox and transfercases.

But, like I mentioned before, my breather is so clean, it really is not an issue besides for the first 1000km after a service, that a lot of the additives in the new oil burns off, and smells a little funky. It's still clean, besides the smell that would come into the cab now and again, hence the pipe extending to under the car into the chassis rail.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

Do not confuse open and closed crank vacuum systems. I have installed a catch can on the v8 Cruiser. Modified the baffles inside to suite my liking. It do what it needs to do
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast