Off Road Caravan, Which one? - Page 7

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Default Re: Off Road Caravan, Which one?

Quote Originally Posted by TRON View Post
    Hi I see the BL crowd has arrived!
    Of course....a second hand BL would never have such issues or most other makes. People who have bough second hand Afrispoors, Imagines etc. dont have issues but it seems like Conqueror do over and over. This is not bias but fact from many posts.
    2016 LC 200 VX, 2014 D4 SDV6 HSE(sold),2015 Suzuki Jimny, 2019 VW Tiguan 4mtion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), "A little Red Car", Swambo 2013 A3 Sportback Quattro, Bush Lapa Baobab 1873, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    Of course....a second hand BL would never have such issues or most other makes. People who have bough second hand Afrispoors, Imagines etc. dont have issues but it seems like Conqueror do over and over. This is not bias but fact from many posts.
    Ja, sure no bias here! Says the statistician😇 Fact as is in the eye of the beholder in this case - some like blondes (like Landy’s &#128077 others like brunettes (like Toyoto’s&#128078.

Just like my BiL who has just had his 3rd Miskruier suspension failure in the Cedar Berge. He still loves his little van and yes this does not mean that all BL’s are unreliable. Also I won’t and never have made myself guilty of brand bashing. Other than when it comes to Toyota 🤪.

Any manufacturer will have some issues, some just many more than other's. Did your BIL say what failures and why? 3 failures sounds like a major issue......according to the statistician me, there are many BL's that have covered 1000's of km's without suspension failures and these have been used in serious offroad conditions. Maintenance is key as well. You cannot drive 5 000km's offroad and not do any maintenance. I check my BL thoroughly after every trip, even 400 km's. Trailers take a lot of abuse, driving off-road in your comfy vehicle you dont realise the pounding a trailer takes.
    2016 LC 200 VX, 2014 D4 SDV6 HSE(sold),2015 Suzuki Jimny, 2019 VW Tiguan 4mtion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), "A little Red Car", Swambo 2013 A3 Sportback Quattro, Bush Lapa Baobab 1873, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

His van is a 2016 model and is serviced regularly by BL. In 2017 on returning to Gabs from a trip to Khumaga and Nxai he lost a wheel when it (the hub) broke off from the axle - this can happen (although it shouldn’t) to any manufacturer’s van. BL repaired the van.

On the second occasion in 2018 he found the suspension sagging (many of us overload with all the kit we tend to load into our vans) and took his van into BL and asked them to fit a heavier duty axle which they did.

4 days ago traveling from Tankwa to the Cedar mountians two of bolts holding the springs sheared off, which he only noticed when setting up camp on his arrival. He phoned BL in the Cape who immediately contacted The Clanwilliam Burquip dealer to assist. The should be arriving later today to do the necessary repairs. Good service!

I have also had 3 issues with my suspension. The first time was when I felt that my van was swaying too much whilst towing. I then, at my cost, replaced my Companion’s shocks and coils with the heavier duty kit.

In 2018 in noticed uneven wear on the tyres and Conqueror found that the independent suspension bars were bent 💩 (this after a hectic trip in Botswana and again maybe overloading?) which were replaced at my cost.

Bringing the van home from Conqueror I noticed that my van was leaning to the left side (in 2017 I fitted a 270 easy awning) and Conqueror then replaced the left side coil with a stiffer blue one at their cost. Allegedly the sagging was as a result of the extra weight. This was the topic of a thread I started last year.

My van seems to be OK now - let’s hold thumbs. 🥴

The “long and short” moral of this story and my earlier post is that all vans can and do have issues (no brand bashing) perhaps due to user abuse.

Happy travels and good camping to you all.

OK, after reading every single one of these posts I wonder why there is not one comment from an Imagine owner. The BL gang sure turned up! Well done guys.

The reason I am so interested is when we went through this exercise about 3 years ago, the BL Miskruier was my choice, whereas the Imagine Comfortvan was SWAMBO's choice. SWAMBO announced that she would not go camping in anything that looked like a military command centre. I was rather worried at the time that she may be referring to our 'beige' Land Cruiser. It was very close, but SWAMBO won, and now, a few years on, we are both very happy with our choice, and respect the choice and passion that other owners get from their vans.

Each choice is seriously personal and we are lucky to have such a variety of good products to choose from-new or second hand. The only product we did not consider was the Commander and that was based almost exclusively on the experience of a friend of ours whose van was rusting badly. We also helped him push it one day. That is one seriously heavy piece of kit.

That lead us away from steel products and we settled into the hot dip galvanised cold rolled sections chassis and aluminium frame, GRP and aluminium cladding mode. This also drove down the Tare of the van and opened up opportunity for increased legal and practical payload. Towing weight has to really be something large to threaten the Land Cruiser's 3,500kg capacity, but when it comes to payload, all vans are not born equal. Size for size, the Comfortvan is as big as the Jurgens Explorer, but the payload capacity is 660kg vs 215kg. So when you want to actually fill the water tanks and fuel carriers (200kg) , Comfortvan take a bow. I can still take my tools and fishing kit along.

So I was happy with the concept of:

• Two decent sized beds and the fact that we could both stand inside and move around at the same time.
    • That I could put the entire thing up by myself if necessary-although we have got far more cunning with practice.
    • That its weight is down with the meanies, but that it has great payload capability.
    • That it goes into a normal garage and we can get in and out inside the garage.
    • That it runs exactly in the track of the LC without any axle mods

SWAMBO is very pleased with:
    • The kitchen set up
    • The on-board bathroom which works like a charm and does not result in spillage all over the place.
    • The porta-pottie cubicle to eliminate us going outside in un-fenced camps.
    • The fact that we can space out on the beds that are not at ground level. (although I have never mentioned that Lions can climb)
    • The packing space
    • The fact that I do not bitch about her taking an extra sponge along.

Did we have any problems? A few, and they were related to manufacture quality. A few rivets that escaped sealant, a poorly fitted door lock and a side tent that is difficult to 'shape' correctly so that the water runs off. But no failures, no leaks and very little dust ingress. It is nose heavy and one must bear this in mind when carrying water. It has two 80l tanks, one on either side of the axle. Filling only the front tank makes it very heavy on the nose-too heavy in my opinion so it is important to even the load out.

I hope you all enjoy your choices, whatever they may be.

We seriously considered Imagine and in the end it came down to a Trailvan or a Miskruier, both very good caravans. The proximity of the BL factory and after sales service is what made us settle on the Bush Lapa. Personally I don't think one can go wrong with either.
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)

I quite like the Imagine range and the amount of them on the road tells a story. For me they came across as just a bit too plasticky and wobbly, but that doesn't necessarily imply that it is not durable.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Ek is besig om te kyk na die Bushlapa Boskriek , Conquerour UEV 14 en die Tuff Cat Shumba.

Ek is genooi om Saterdag na die UEV 14 in Heidelberg te gaan kyk en volgende Saterdag na die Shumba. Ek het reeds na die Boskriek gaan kyk. Die navorsing is net so lekker soos die bestel. Dit is my aftree wa so hy moet lig wees en vinnig kan op en af slaan. Ek luister na goeie raad.
    Last edited by Krummelpap; 2019/06/22 at 05:08 PM.

Just got back from a two week trip in the Transkei where we drove what must be some of the worst roads (due to the floods a couple of months back.... and other reasons not to be commented on) in SA with two B/L Baobab's and must say they behaved extremely well, ie. no dust, quick to set up and pack up camp, more than sufficient storage, tow's like a dream which made the trip a very memorable one.... You will not go wrong with B/L... The only problem you will have is selecting the right model
    Happy are those that dream dreams and is willing to pay the price to make them come true

Krummelpap, ek sou voorstel dat jy Afrispoor (Cheetah) ook op jou lys sit. Ons manne kyk na spesifieke goed, swambo na ander goed. En op die lange duur (en warm aande in die winter) is daai goed belangrik. Ons is gesoute kampers, van tent na karavaan, van sleepwa na boswa en my vrou het net een wa in haar visier, die Afrispoor. Ons bestelling is geplaas.

Quote Originally Posted by Krummelpap View Post
    ............... Dit is my aftree wa so hy moet lig wees en baie vinnig kan op en af slaan.
    Ek's net nuuskierig - as pensioenaris, waar gaan die spoed skielik vandaan kom?

Op 70/80 loop ons met kieries en dan wil ek net my wa oopsluit en instaat wees om te gaan slaap, stort, piepie, what ever in die bos
    "If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost"

Quote Originally Posted by Munnika View Post
    Krummelpap, ek sou voorstel dat jy Afrispoor (Cheetah) ook op jou lys sit. Ons manne kyk na spesifieke goed, swambo na ander goed. En op die lange duur (en warm aande in die winter) is daai goed belangrik. Ons is gesoute kampers, van tent na karavaan, van sleepwa na boswa en my vrou het net een wa in haar visier, die Afrispoor. Ons bestelling is geplaas.
    Baie wyse woorde. Kyk saam no soveel fabrikate en modelle moontlik en besluit saam. Wat vir een werk, werk nie noodwendig vir 'n ander nie, selfs is mens getroud.
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)

Ons het die afgelope 17 jaar, twee Jurgens Explorer karavane.

Ons het eers 'n 1999 model gehad en twee jaar gelede 'n 2017 model gekoop.
    Ek het na 15 jaar se gebruik van die eerste karavaan, R 15 000 meer vir die karavaan gekry as wat ek vir die ding betaal het.
    Ek en my vrou het talle nasionale parke in SA, Botswana, Nambie, Zambie en Mosambiek besoek.

Ons het soms harde 4x4 paaie gery en ekstreme omstandighede ervaar.

Die karavaan het my oor jare, baie min probleme gegee. Dit het ons nooit in die steek gelaat nie. Ideale karavaan vir twee persone.

Die ding is baie gerieflik en prakties. Sal enige tyd 'n Explorer aanbeveel.
    Last edited by Laevelder; 2019/06/21 at 04:08 PM.

Dankie Laevelder

Ek het een gehuur en nie mooi gehak nie .Toe hy afval van die hak kon ek en my vrou hom nie weer optel nie. Soos ons ouer word ontneem ons kragte ons , so ek soek iets ligter wat ons kan self kan beheer sou dit nodig wees. Daar is nog n paar buitelig skoue wat binnekort in Gauteng plaasvind so ek doen mooi my huiswerk. Vanoggend besoek ons Conqueror in Heidelberg. Die nuwe UEV op papier beindruk my baie. Ek hou van die harde kante rondom die bed ipv n tent.

Hello Krummelpap....please let us know what you thought of the UEV product on your factory visit. I did not know a person could organise such a visit. I am particularly keen on the UEV 17 but have not seen it yet except what is on youtube and the manufacturers webpage.

If you do see one....have a look for me!

Thanks

We picked up a very lightly used 2012 Conqueror Companion about 3 months ago - it had been bought, fiddled with, and spent most of its life in a garage. Canvas is literally brand new.

I think we were rather fortunate as the previous owner used it enough to have sorted out a number of the "issues" that these seem to have come with out of the factory.

I'd have bought a BL - probably a Miskruier - if I could have afforded it - just could not find one in the price range.

We're actually very happy with the Companion so far. Done 5 trips with it, and heading off for a couple of long ones later this month and in July.

The stock beds suck. We had them upgraded by Northgate - we supplied the fabric, they fitted egg crate foam and stitched the covers. Came out real nice. I'd not want to own one in a wet/salty environment.

No leaks so far. Water system installation is...terrible...and I will redo it completely when I have time.

Kitchen is excellent. I find it tows extremely well.
    Last edited by heyyahhey; 2019/06/22 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Laevelder View Post
    Ons het die afgelope 17 jaar, twee Jurgens Explorer karavane.

Ons het eers 'n 1999 model gehad en twee jaar gelede 'n 2017 model gekoop.
    Ek het na 15 jaar se gebruik van die eerste karavaan, R 15 000 meer vir die karavaan gekry as wat ek vir die ding betaal het.
    Ek en my vrou het talle nasionale parke in SA, Botswana, Nambie, Zambie en Mosambiek besoek.

Ons het soms harde 4x4 paaie gery en ekstreme omstandighede ervaar.

Die karavaan het my oor jare, baie min probleme gegee. Dit het ons nooit in die steek gelaat nie. Ideale karavaan vir twee persone.

Die ding is baie gerieflik en prakties. Sal enige tyd 'n Explorer aanbeveel.
    Ek stem. Nou net 3 jaar n Xplorer gehad na vele jare n boswa.

Ja dis swaar maar ons maak seker ons parkeer sonder om te skuif met die hand waar moontlik. As ek regtig n probleem het dan haal ek net my sleeptou uit en trek hom met my kar.

Ja die neus is swaar maar niks dat ek en my vrou nie kan hanteer nie. Verstaan nie hoe die neus net so kan val nie. Jokkie wiel nie ordentelik vas nie?
    # 5 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS 2015
    # 4 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2013 trade in
    # 3 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2011 good trade
    # 2 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2010 did not aquaplane so well
    # 1 Mitsubishi Colt 2005 with 3.2 DID (160kw WOW!)
    Jurgens Xplorer 2013 (new retirement home)
    Challenger Wilderness "The Penthouse" (sold and will be sorely missed)
    Platkar 1: BMW 118 (SWAMBO)
    Platkar 2: Nissan 200 SX (Retirement project)

Quote Originally Posted by Anton T View Post
    Hello Krummelpap....please let us know what you thought of the UEV product on your factory visit. I did not know a person could organise such a visit. I am particularly keen on the UEV 17 but have not seen it yet except what is on youtube and the manufacturers webpage.

If you do see one....have a look for me!

Thanks

I am blown away !!!!! CONTACT Heinrich Booysen 079 571 8036 and visit the factory in Heidelberg. New light weight building materials and A NEW design . Currently 14 X 25 UEV on the production line . They sold two this morning
    There is also a smaller UEV for SUV that will definitely be a game changer for semi off road vehicles.
    Last edited by Krummelpap; 2019/06/22 at 12:26 PM.

Krummelpap, their website doesn’t give the weight / mass of the trailers. Do you perhaps know how much the UEV-25 weighs?
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

Quote Originally Posted by KurtG View Post
    Krummelpap, their website doesn’t give the weight / mass of the trailers. Do you perhaps know how much the UEV-25 weighs?
    I would also like to know the weight of the UEV-25 please

Krummelpap, can you tell us what you think of the UEV-25?
    "If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost"

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast