Off Road Caravan, Which one?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Default Off Road Caravan, Which one?

Ok, so I realize that it would be like asking a Ford guy what pick up is best or a Amarok guy what vehicle is the most comfortable

But here goes.

SWAMBO has been showing some interest in off road trailers, the idea of having all camping stuff together and a easy tent to set up in minutes is very appealing, just hook and go basically. And she loves the kitchen, stove, basin setup in these trailers.

I have been looking at trailers on the internet and I really like the caravan idea more, they are really, really nice.
    There is so many different makes and models, and with out seeing them it is very hard to decide which one will suit us. There is no caravans around Pietermaritzburg, so viewing these things is not a easy task. Not like a dealer that you walk into and have a look at the vehicle that catches your eye.

From what I can make out, at this point I must say that I know absolutely noting about caravans or trailers, is that the Bush Lapa Miskruier looks really nice.

Please give me some guidance into which caravan you would buy and why?

We are a family of 4, two girls 11 and 8 so they are growing fast, a 4 sleeper would be what I'm looking for.

Thank you.

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

Default Re: Off Road Caravan, Which one?

You cannot go wrong with Conqueror and with a family of four I would recommend the Commander.

Expensive, but good units available second hand.
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohanMaree For This Useful Post:

Chris rent a few trailers and caravans, then see what works for YOUR family.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elders For This Useful Post:

okay, we went through 5 different setups..

at the end, we settled for a bushlapa boskriek for me and the Wife, and a dome tent for the 3 kids (10,12,16)..
    Kids in a tent or van can get difficult as they have different sleeping pasterns
    Last edited by D-tox; 2019/01/08 at 08:25 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D-tox For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris8d View Post
    Ok, so I realize that it would be like asking a Ford guy what pick up is best or a Amarok guy what vehicle is the most comfortable

But here goes.

SWAMBO has been showing some interest in off road trailers, the idea of having all camping stuff together and a easy tent to set up in minutes is very appealing, just hook and go basically. And she loves the kitchen, stove, basin setup in these trailers.

I have been looking at trailers on the internet and I really like the caravan idea more, they are really, really nice.
    There is so many different makes and models, and with out seeing them it is very hard to decide which one will suit us. There is no caravans around Pietermaritzburg, so viewing these things is not a easy task. Not like a dealer that you walk into and have a look at the vehicle that catches your eye.

From what I can make out, at this point I must say that I know absolutely noting about caravans or trailers, is that the Bush Lapa Miskruier looks really nice.

We are a family of 4, two girls 11 and 8 so they are growing fast, a 4 sleeper would be what I'm looking for.

Thank you.

Hallo Chris

Ons kamp sedert 2010 met 'n Miskruier van Bushlapa, een van die eerstes wat gebou is

Ons het oor die 75000km gedoen, waarvan baie duisende kilometers in rowwe, rowwe terein was. Ons laaste trip was die Desember met 6000 km.

Glo my, om lank te staan, of te toer, die wa bly 'n wenner. Die bou materiaal en kwaliteit spreek vanself. 'n Maklike sleper, slaan vinnig op, is gerieflik en klein vir maklike hantering(stoot) op site of by huis maar as opgeslaan, groot genoeg vir gerief en pakplek.

As ek vandag weer moet koop, sal ek hom weer koop. Die kombuis opset is lekker, alles maklik bereikbaar selfs vir kort mense. ek kan aangaan en aangaan. Jy sal baie opinies kry, maar vir meer detail, private mesage my. Daar is baie goeie make op die mark, maar gewig, bou kwaliteit, die materiaal van die produk was vir my die oortuiging, en dit was voor die legendariese "Bushwing" se tyd..uniek oorspronklik deur Bushlapa op mark gebring. Die Bushwing kan deur een mens oopgemaak word in minute.(nou sien ek al die vervaardigers doen nou die wing ding) Die beddens is groot, ek het twee dogters nou van 16 en 18, en ja met hulle bly die wa ons hart se punt.

So 'n gerieflike wa wat regtig rowwe paaie kan vat.

Hoop jy kom reg, sterkte
    Piet the Camper
    Bl 24

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Piet the Camper For This Useful Post:

Ons het sopas terug gekom van n "rouging it" roete met n 10 maande oue baba.

Ek kon die Bush lapa alleen opslaan (self in sterk wind!!!) terwyl Swambo na kleinding omsien. En as die kant-seile eers op is, is daar min wat by die gemak van die BL kom. Ons het haar sommer gebad onder die "wing" in lekker koue wind, geen probleem.

Maar alle waens het hul voordele en nadele. Jy sal maar moet gaan klim en klouter. Vir my was die BL die wenner uit die Conqueror (te swaar), Echo (uitleg nie lekker, en awning nie van die beste), Imagine (te groot).

lekker soek. Hiermee n foto van ons vinnige opset daar waar daar niks is nie Die BL se awning met kant seile is regtig n wenner en kan jou maklik swaai!!!!

The last pic shows the practicality of the Bush Wing. Note the triangle enclosure at the top left. Every time I set up like this, I am amazed at the practical thinking that went into this design. Everything just slides into the "sliders", zips up or velcro together. You close down the whole area, even underneath the kitchen (wheel area) and the back. No wind can enter once you've set up like this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6156.jpg 
Views:	848 
Size:	501.3 KB 
ID:	515360   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6151.jpg 
Views:	827 
Size:	529.3 KB 
ID:	515361   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6280.jpg 
Views:	831 
Size:	330.0 KB 
ID:	515362  
    Last edited by Nys; 2019/01/08 at 08:48 AM.
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nys For This Useful Post:

Your opening line is very true....

Some good advice and feedback from others in the posts above.

There are a few options for 4 sleepers and it all depends on what ticks all or most of your boxes. If you do some fairly hard core stuff, the list might become a little shorter. There is no need for any brand bashing on this thread since there is enough info freely available on this forum and elsewhere, for you to get a picture with regards to things like durability, ease of setting up, customer service etc.

I can only tell you what I chose and why my choice suits my application. I bought a Conqueror Commander brand new and had it for 4 years. It did not work for me but was the best off-road caravan available at the time. I found it heavy to tow and not at all stable. Camping and living near the sea also really did a number on parts the metal structure. Setting up did not seem bad but in hindsight, a mission compared to the Miskruier.

I'm on my 2nd Miskruier. There are some very nice 4 sleepers in the BL range but I prefer the small no nonsense features of the Gogga range being the Miskruier, Boskriek, Vlooi, Rooimier and Kewer. I'm sure there will be a Miskruier owner in our area willing to let you have a look and feel of their Miskruier. Lately there has been a number of 2nd hand Miskruiers on the market where owners upgraded to larger Baobab's and Ratel's.

Feel free to post some questions on the other threads on the BL range like the Miskruier Review thread and see all the mods Buslapians do to their vans on the Mods thread. Enjoy the homework part before pulling the trigger. That is a very exciting part of the process...
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kooskop For This Useful Post:

Four years ago we started this same journey and considered a large number of options. One would think in Cape Town it is easier to view different models but actually the best place to view them was camping. We would spot a Imagine Trailvan for example and ask the owner if we could have a look. Everything is set up which gives a great idea of what it would be like having one.

We ended up with a Bush Lapa Miskruier (Imagine was also a strong contender) for the following reasons:
    - Truly quick and easy to set up. With a baby at that stage it was important that I can do it on my own while the wife looks after the kid.
    - Must fit in a standard garage. Many caravans are too tall to fit in a regular size garage.
    - The local support (their factory is in Paarl) and reputation for sorting out issues (if any) is important.
    - It is light. We do travel off road and I don't want to struggle pulling a dead-weight anchor through sand or over rocks (first hand experience).
    - The layout is well organised with enough packing space for everything we need.

My suggestion would be to start with a list of what is important to you and your family. Then go camping often and see what is around and ask to have a look. It is an expensive exercise that you don't want to get wrong. And ask detailed questions here - I'm sure you'll find someone with experience to provide answers, irrespective of which caravan you're looking at.
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Musashi For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    Chris rent a few trailers and caravans, then see what works for YOUR family.
    I did think about this, unfortunately there is no such thing around here where I stay.
    Not sure how the renting works, if I rent it do they send it down from Jhb for me?

Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

You can also ask on the Forum that members camping in your area with a XYZ caravan let you know when and where they will be. I found most owners quite proud to showcase their pride and joy and will be happy to give you a tour.
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)

I read in an article that Conqueror is going to add 4 new bush caravans to the existing range which are not constructed of steel and aluminium like the current range but an imported non metal material which is very light and strong apparently.

It Will be interesting to see how they compare to the current range.
    Francois

We went through this 2 years ago... First thing I'd say is go to showrooms / outdoor shows etc and have a good look around... Then get a shortlist and hire them.I'm 1.94m so half of them got ruled out because I couldn't get out of the van without issues...We went with the Companion because SWAMBO liked the kitchen, and the beds a big. (11yo daughter, 8yo son)
    2015 VW Amarok 4motion Auto
    2011 Conqueror Companion

But here goes.

Thank you.
    Hi Chris: Try Afrispoor in Durban, they have the Cheetah and Serval series off road caravans, very nice as well.
    Ford Ranger 2013
    Afrispoor Cheetah 2017

Layout and preferences round that is also important, but you would know if not having owned or used one. Thus it make sense to rent one, do a trip and decide what you liked or not, and take it from there.

Then there is SS , aluminium, wood and fiberglass variants.
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

22. The Following User Says Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

Take Swambo to the next big outdoor show, probably in Gauteng. Spend some time and look at every option.
    LC 105 EFI
    BL 1003 Boskriek

"There is no need for any brand bashing on this thread since there is enough info freely available on this forum and elsewhere"

Indeed, I just want to know what you have, what you like about it, what you would change if you could, and what would you buy now that you have used and seen other caravans.

No need for brand bashing.

And just to add, I'm extremely allergic to heavy loads and towing. I don't like weight, SWAMBO will load up the hole house if given a chance to do so.

Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris8d For This Useful Post:

"There is no need for any brand bashing on this thread since there is enough info freely available on this forum and elsewhere"

Indeed, I just want to know what you have, what you like about it, what you would change if you could, and what would you buy now that you have used and seen other caravans.

And just to add, I'm extremely allergic to heavy loads and towing. I don't like weight, SWAMBO will load up the hole house if given a chance to do so.
    I would buy the Miskruier At the time of purchase, that little one in the photos above was not even on the horizon!! Problem is our dogs always camp with us. Adelind comfortably sleeps on the front bed and will be able to do so for the next 2-3 years, but this is where the dogs were sleeping On the recent trip, I just passed them on to my dad, who has got the room of the Echo tent. So, I will have to buy a tent for the dogs
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Nys For This Useful Post:

Ok, I recommend Echo Chobe!
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

Seeing as you are not too far away, I would suggest taking a drive to Durban and have a look at the Afrispoor Cheetah. We don't own one (yet), but it's tops in my opinion.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Bush freak For This Useful Post:

Any opinions on Gecko and Armadillo?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast