Has anyone driven the Namibian border road from Buitepos south?

Default Has anyone driven the Namibian border road from Buitepos south?

I am planning a trip from Maun to
    Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park and want advice on the different routes? Online maps (https://distancecalculator.globefeed...20Karas,%20NAM) suggests that there is a road from Buitepos (Botswana/Namibia border) straight south along the border for 280km - has anyone driven this way and if so what is the road like? is it interesting country? can you enter Kgalagadi TF park anywhere north of Mata Mata Border Post? Any advice would be appreciated.

Default Re: Has anyone driven the Namibian border road from Buitepos south?

On the Namibia side there are quite a few roads which start their numbers with a D. Even though on a map they look like major roads, some of them go through farms and you have to open and close gates. You will go through very interesting places and little towns here and there.

My advice is to stick to D roads, and not to travel along border clearing road straight south to avoid problems with border patrols.

Get a tracks4africa map.

Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussietraveller View Post
    I am planning a trip from Maun to
    Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park and want advice on the different routes? Online maps (https://distancecalculator.globefeed...20Karas,%20NAM) suggests that there is a road from Buitepos (Botswana/Namibia border) straight south along the border for 280km - has anyone driven this way and if so what is the road like? is it interesting country? can you enter Kgalagadi TF park anywhere north of Mata Mata Border Post? Any advice would be appreciated.

Agree , I would not use that border route if alone. Maybe the best route is C22 and then the M39 to Mata Mata, to enter the park (all gravel).
    Last edited by JLK; 2019/01/05 at 09:40 AM.
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

You can go north from Buitepos but go-ing south along the border is a big no no as per advise I got from Nam farmers a year ago . People not very friendly in that area and you can get harassed .
    Mooi loop .
    Cruiser 76 EFI 4.5 FullTime 4x4
    Cruiser 78 4.2 Diesel
    Cruiser 79 4.2 Diesel Full Time 4x4

Thanks all for the great advice - do you think I would be better off travelling only in Botswana and maybe going in the Kaa gate? I have driven the Twee Rivers/Mata Mata road a few years ago but have not been to the northern section of KTF Park? If so what route would you advise?

Quote Originally Posted by Aussietraveller View Post
    Thanks all for the great advice - do you think I would be better off travelling only in Botswana and maybe going in the Kaa gate?
    Bots side is quite good. Gravel to Ukhwi , and then go east and then go via Masetleng pan. Those cut lines are open sand tracks. The locals will probable want some Pulas going toe Masetleng pan, but plenty wild life there if the pan has water.
    Last edited by JLK; 2019/01/06 at 08:32 PM.
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe