Dometic CF 50

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dometic CF 50

Default Dometic CF 50

Hi all

So once again the Dometic CF 50 are on special at Takalot for 5199. I took some time to read through older posts however could not find information I'm looking for.

I've used a 60l Kellerman fridge freezer on all our camping trips (borrowed from my father) and were always happy with the performance thereof. Using a PBE dual battery system with a 105 AH deep cycle kept the fridge running in all conditions keeping beer cold and meat frozen.

Method of use were to put frozen meat at the bottom, beer and drinks at the top and cheese, milk etc in the fridge compartment. Fridge set at - 9 when starting up for the first 2 hours or so, thereafter running at - 4 during day time and - 1 at night to keep the drinks from freezing. Once 220v becomes available I'll switch the fridge over and charge the deep cycle by means of a Benton intelligent charger.

Will the Dometic CF 50 be able to compete with this? Ambient temperatures in Moz and Kruger Park over December holidays can become quite high.

From the info I could gather, the Dometic is rated at - 50 below ambient, is this correct? Should this be the case, I don't foresee any issues...

Thanks,
    Lehan
    Last edited by Lehan; 2019/01/04 at 09:28 AM.

Default Re: Dometic CF 50

Bought one for my son a year ago and he is very happy with it. Use it when visiting town for groceries and as a standby fridge due to lots of power failures in their rural area. He stays in a very hot area and the fridge copes easily with all conditions.

Ask yourself why Americans and Aussies prefer Dometic/Waeco ? Because they have the most experience with them. The fridges have a no fuss straight approach. I have a CF50 running on a 105ah secondary battery and it just never stops making cold. I presume the battery will probably die after a day or three but it never has. My buddy has a Engel 40 and it makes nice.and cold aswell. At double the price !
    There's only 3 reasons to stand up : to get the remote , to go to the bathroom or because you're the Real Slim Shady.

2002 Patrol 4.5 GRX
    2001 Terrano 2 TD27
    2012 1600 Pypkar Rum mobile

My take on this? You won't make a mistake buying a Dometic. Or a NL. Or a Snomaster. Or a Engel. No need for a pissing competition

I had a cfx50 which I sold and later regret, this unit lived in the back of a swb Pajero running on a 70amp high cycle battery, the power consumption on the waeco in retrospect compared to my Snomaster is lower in comparison. The unit worked every weekend for two years before I had to go bigger.

You will not be disappointed..
    Ford Ranger 3.2 Auto 4x4 XLT
    Paj DiD SWB Auto
    E92 335i 430kw at the wheels!
    VW G6 GTi DSG

Thanks Gents,

I don't have any doubts that the other brands like NL, Engel etc are very good. At this price I became somewhat sceptical, usually there are no comparison between products that differs so much in price.

I ordered the Dometic. Thank you for the replies

You won't be sorry, they are a great value for money fridge, mine has worked like a Trojan in the time I have had it.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Mine runs all the time. At home for beer and when camping the frozen stuff.

Make sure you read the manual, especially the part about the battery monitor settings.

I think it only goes to about -18 or -20 degrees.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind≤)

84' Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work

The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

Mine is always in use. Went to Kruger for a week kept it in the vehicle all the time. Went to Mozambique for a week, put it on the generator now and then. It worked very good. takealot give you an insulated cover also.

Used my CF50 for two weeks during December holiday period, mounted in vehicle cab connected to two aux batts and charged by solar.
    Temp in vehicle was never under 26 C during the day, mostly in the very high 30's.
    Set at -10.
    Worked flawlessly.
    Edit, must add, the lid is a bit plastic/thin so a beer box was put inside on top of the frozen stuff to keep the cold from escaping through/around the lid.
    100%.
    Last edited by Damdan; 2019/01/08 at 03:26 PM.
    If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right. SJ

Mine arriving tomorrow
    04 Discovery II V8 Auto - The Duchess

Thumbs up Re: Dometic CF 50

Well I was about to order it from Takealot when they had the 35% discount offer. few days later low and behold there was a 45% discount offer. I have ordered one immediately. I have used it for about two weeks only now ( on and of ) but I am really happy with the quality. I like the cover that comes with it. By the way a friend with a fancy RV showed me that about all his appliances in it is Dometic. Never had a problem with it.

I bought this in June 2018 last year for R4999 and have used it a few times no issues.

Funny story - we were camping in Feb and all was going well with the fridge (driving with it while we went for our game drive). It was around the -5C mark. We arrived back at camp for lunchtime to braai. The next thing I look at the fridge, the temp keeps climbing every 2 mins. Next thing it was at +4C. I start to panic, we have some good meat in there I put blankets over, in the shade, check the plugs, check the power, reset blah blah. Next thing it is at +8C. At this point, I might as well braai all the meat! I start researching if anyone else had these issues, or if the temp thing is faulty.

Next thing, my wife asks if I want some Coke as it might have cooled down by now? I was confused as I didn't see Coke in the fridge in the morning until I realised she had left it in the sun the whole morning and chucked the hot 2litre bottle in the fridge when we got back for lunch.

4 hours later, the fridge was back at the -5C mark. Eish!
    Suzuki Jimny 2017
    Radical cups
    Steering damper
    Front Runner roof rack
    Floor board

Just for interest sake.
    As I understand Dometic and Waeco is basically the same thing. Did Waeco rebrand to Dometic or are they simply offering the 2 different brands in different markets and if so, why did South Africa switch from Waeco to Dometic?
    From what I remember we only have Dometic fridges for the past year or 3 now but we always had Waeco, however these days I don't see Waeco anymore but Dometic is everywhere.
    I don't drink water, unless it's been through a brewery first.
    You probably heard people saying Africa is not for sissies. Well, neither is it for wussy equipment.
    Man who dies with most gear wins!

My understanding is that Dometic bought the Waeco brand. Over the last couple of years the old stock out of the Weaco factory has been brought to market and sold under the Weaco brand. Now the same product from the same factory has the Dometic brand. I know this as I have two CF50's, one Waeco and one Dometic.

https://www.takealot.com/dometic-cf-...e/PLID32842563

and this
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Fridge is great for the price - lid not great and a bit loose when compared o the NL.

Happy using it as a fridge in the car on second battery - maintains temp well.

To get cold beer need to be a -3 C. Beers don't freeze

How does one cope with the loose lid?
    I am sure there are solutions.....

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by global traveller View Post
    Fridge is great for the price - lid not great and a bit loose when compared o the NL.

Happy using it as a fridge in the car on second battery - maintains temp well.

To get cold beer need to be a -3 C. Beers don't freeze

Oddly enough when I first started looking at fridges 5 or so years ago, for me the big disadvantage with the Waeco was its lid and the hindge of the lid. I haven't really checked out the Dometic in detail yet, but back then the Waeco lid looked like it came off a cheep cooler box. It felt as if it was made of cheep plastic and it was hollow inside with a very flimzy hinge.
    I don't drink water, unless it's been through a brewery first.
    You probably heard people saying Africa is not for sissies. Well, neither is it for wussy equipment.
    Man who dies with most gear wins!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    How does one cope with the loose lid?
    I am sure there are solutions.....
    Quick srew in the lid and sorted.
    There's only 3 reasons to stand up : to get the remote , to go to the bathroom or because you're the Real Slim Shady.

2002 Patrol 4.5 GRX
    2001 Terrano 2 TD27
    2012 1600 Pypkar Rum mobile

Great fridge for the price. Very quiet. Had mine for 2 yrs and no issues besides the catch that has recently needed repair twice.....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1551524544050.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	520996
    Deez2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6 Overland2007 Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS2007 BMW M325i 2007 Mitsubishi Colt Rodeo 2.8 TDi (DC) 4x4

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast