Storms river camping

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Storms river camping

Hi Guys...

Anyone done some camping at storms river in April? How is the weather around there at that time?
    Also the sites with a view and no power point, is there anything to be worried about? Wind?

Default Re: Storms river camping

Wind is your only worry if you not prepared for it.That said march/april is a good time thorughout SA weather wise.Things are a bit cooler and more stable

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.G For This Useful Post:

You can always expect all the seasons in terms of weather....not called Storms River for nothing.... We have been going there for more than 20 years but always Dec/Jan.

The sea view sites with no power are known as the tent sites. No more wind there than on the other sea view sites . Any reason for selecting the no power sites? Are the others fully booked for April? Just secure everything properly as if there will be a storm and enjoy the place. It is an amazing piece of paradise...
    Last edited by Kooskop; 2019/01/03 at 02:03 PM.
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

As said, be prepared for wind, storm straps, gazebo down when the wind picks up etc. We camped there on a site with a view right in the front in April and had some heavy wind with a fair amount of rain as well.
    2007 Colt Rodeo 3000I V6 D/C 4x4
    Dual battery system
    57 mm freeflow system
    General Grabber AT3's
    Challenger Bundu Basher Off-road trailer aka Bos Parra

Following all the advice with a keen eye. Going to Stormsriver from 14- 20 January. Already brought my storm straps...just in case. will give some feedback after our trip.

Quote Originally Posted by SP1971 View Post
    Following all the advice with a keen eye. Going to Stormsriver from 14- 20 January. Already brought my storm straps...just in case. will give some feedback after our trip.
    Trust me...you will be back there next year....
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kooskop For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kooskop View Post
    You can always expect all the seasons in terms of weather....not called Storms River for nothing.... We have been going there for more than 20 years but always Dec/Jan.

The sea view sites with no power are known as the tent sites. No more wind there than on the other sea view sites . Any reason for selecting the no power sites? Are the others fully booked for April? Just secure everything properly as if there will be a storm and enjoy the place. It is an amazing piece of paradise...
    Couldnít find the view sites with power on there site so I think they taken, Iíve been wanting to go the last few years but always leave it last minute and nothing available.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
    As said, be prepared for wind, storm straps, gazebo down when the wind picks up etc. We camped there on a site with a view right in the front in April and had some heavy wind with a fair amount of rain as well.
    Need to get a gazebo first , but will make sure to get one that suits heavy wind before we go. Will a Colman pop up tent handle rain and wind? Have one of those 6 sleeper ones.

We normally use one of the un-powered tent sites, as our first choice. Next to the sea and not as busy as the main part of the caravan park.

Can't really say what it like in April but I am sure there will be some wind.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5017.JPG 
Views:	254 
Size:	177.0 KB 
ID:	514925   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5015.JPG 
Views:	249 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	514926  
    Malcolm
    2015 Pajero 3.2 LWB
    Bushwakka Sundowner No. 31

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mcowell For This Useful Post:

Is it allowed to book a caravan site and pitch a tent? I see there are sites with view and power point.

Smile Re: Storms river camping

Quote Originally Posted by rog163 View Post
    Hi Guys...

Anyone done some camping at storms river in April? How is the weather around there at that time?
    Also the sites with a view and no power point, is there anything to be worried about? Wind?
    April is the BEST month weatherwise but its the Cape so you could get wind ..Rain too as it is in a Year round rainfall belt ..Lovely camping there ..Storm Straps get packed first

Is it allowed to book a caravan site and pitch a tent? I see there are sites with view and power point.
    Yes. If anyone asks just act surprised and ask where to report a stolen caravan.
    Choose life

Quote Originally Posted by Coenoes View Post
    Yes. If anyone asks just act surprised and ask where to report a stolen caravan.
    will keep that in mind

I'm sure it is not an issue. I see it all the time over Dec / Jan.
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

So I have booked from 19th till the 24th of April, camp site sea view with no power. Will take the opportunity to get more in touch with nature without electricity .

Thanks for all the info, looks like biggest challenge will be the wind.

With regards to April period for those that have stayed there over Easter weekend, does the camp site get crowded/loud like some of the other San parks? Hoping thereís no loud music and noise

So I have booked from 19th till the 24th of April, camp site sea view with no power. Will take the opportunity to get more in touch with nature without electricity .

Thanks for all the info, looks like biggest challenge will be the wind.

With regards to April period for those that have stayed there over Easter weekend, does the camp site get crowded/loud like some of the other San parks? Hoping thereís no loud music and noise
    Even if crowded, like over Dec/Jan, it does not feel crowded like your typical checker board campsites. I have never heard any music there in over 20 years but did once personally silence a day camper that played loud music in his vehicle while parking on a spot where day campers are not allowed. I suspect a few campers were heading his way and I just happened to get to him 1st .

The "white noise" from the sea drowns everything so you seldom even hear your fellow campers chatting...
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Kooskop For This Useful Post:

As Michael indicated, the camp was quite full when we were there during the April school holidays / easter however there was no problem with loud music being played or people partying late at night. And yes, the relaxing sound of the waves against the rocks tend to drown any other sounds.
    2007 Colt Rodeo 3000I V6 D/C 4x4
    Dual battery system
    57 mm freeflow system
    General Grabber AT3's
    Challenger Bundu Basher Off-road trailer aka Bos Parra

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Blackie For This Useful Post:

The description of sites at Storms River (Tsitsikamma) is a bit misleading. They call them View Sites and non View Sites. They should call them Sea Front Sites and Back Sites. When the Park is not too full, all sites have a view. When the Sea front sites are all taken, you camp a row or two back and your view of the sea is spoiled by the caravans and vehicles in front of you. View sites are more expensive than so called non-view sites. At Easter it is likely to be quite full. At non peak times there will be plenty of place so always then book at non-view site which will have a glorious view.

We were frequent campers at Tsitsikamma/Stormsriver for 19 years to be exact, but the service especialy at the reception is terrable there is no customer service , we are avoiding the park and making use of other alternatives in the area.It use to be one of the better Parks to visit but is slowly fading due to bad customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by wiek View Post
    We were frequent campers at Tsitsikamma/Stormsriver for 19 years to be exact, but the service especialy at the reception is terrable there is no customer service , we are avoiding the park and making use of other alternatives in the area.It use to be one of the better Parks to visit but is slowly fading due to bad customer service.
    The first time (of many) we went to Storms River Mouth was in 1975 - the road was still a dust road (read: superfine dust settling everywhere). On our first walk across the suspension bridge, the sea was so wild that our legs got wet right up to our knees! Many of you should know how high that is. My last holiday there was about 34 years ago - SAD!

And all these years it has been sitting at no. 1 on my bucket list, second to none. Though, I may be disappointed to find an upgraded, more crowded resort if I do get to go there again.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast