Storms river camping - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Storms river camping

We were at Stormsriver Mouth this past December staying in chalet 31, the one with the 31 stairs.......

I found the caravan park to be well laid out and each stand properly demarcated. Apparently the one's right in front against the sea is slightly more expensive then the rest.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Johan De Graaf
    2019 Ford Ranger Wildtrak 2.0 Biturbo 4x2 D/C
    2013 Range Rover e-vogue HSE Dynamic SD4
    2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8

Quote Originally Posted by G&G View Post
    The first time (of many) we went to Storms River Mouth was in 1975 - the road was still a dust road (read: superfine dust settling everywhere). On our first walk across the suspension bridge, the sea was so wild that our legs got wet right up to our knees! Many of you should know how high that is. My last holiday there was about 34 years ago - SAD!

And all these years it has been sitting at no. 1 on my bucket list, second to none. Though, I may be disappointed to find an upgraded, more crowded resort if I do get to go there again.....
    My wife and I + the kids have been going for 20 + years. Before that I went with my parents and siblings since the late 60's. The pic is taken in the area where the "new" pool is situated. At the time there was a cement "pool" with brown water from the river out the mountain. No modern stuff like pool pumps. We swam with the frogs.... My dad built that caravan on his own in the 60's. I was about 5 years old but I was there to keep him company during the build .

I would recommend a trip. I hate crowds too...you just plan your activities around them. The alternative is to go out of season. Yes, I remember that gravel road and it was a challenge to tow a heavy home build caravan up that hill after some rain .

Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kooskop For This Useful Post:

STORMS river. Wind or rain can occur at any time. Be prepared. We were there is August and experienced a 45knt gale through the night. Ablutions were good, service was good, restaurant a bit iffy because of tent location and buses of foreign tourists. Swimming pool had been taken over by sea birds. Full of poo and feathers. Ah well...Beautiful park-especially if you like walking.

We've camped there twice, both times the March/April school holidays. Wonderful place, first time perfect weather second time very windy half the time. Not too busy, yes bring the larger tent pegs and storm rope or net, be prepared and enjoy. Do take the walk not only to the suspension bridge over the river, but also on the opposite side on the Otter route to the waterfall Fantastic.

Almost time to go, will be there from Friday!!

Quote Originally Posted by SP1971 View Post
    Following all the advice with a keen eye. Going to Stormsriver from 14- 20 January. Already brought my storm straps...just in case. will give some feedback after our trip.
    So how was it?

We were there again from 27 to 29 March, weather was perfect, gentle breeze and clear skies on 2 of the 3 nights.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4216_1.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	246.6 KB 
ID:	525921   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4221_2.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	147.0 KB 
ID:	525922  
    Malcolm
    2015 Pajero 3.2 LWB
    Bushwakka Sundowner No. 31

Quote Originally Posted by rog163 View Post
    Almost time to go, will be there from Friday!!
    Remember to go visit Storms River Village. Nice drive towards PE. Cute little place with a nice restaurant (Marilyn's 60's diner), Pizza place and beer brewery. Also a small shop, bottle store and hardware store. Did I mention that there is a brewery....

Buy your wood there or at the large Total garage at the bridge further down the N2. It is cheaper than in the park. I have a even cheaper contact we use over Dec/ Jan but then we buy wood in bulk. Do not expect nice braai wood in that neck of the woods. Just use more wood when you braai...

Enjoy!
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

Quote Originally Posted by Kooskop View Post
    I'm sure it is not an issue. I see it all the time over Dec / Jan.
    And how about in reverse? If there is only a tent site available could I park a van on it?
    2012 Disco 4 SDV6 SE (Snowflake) Hers
    2012 Fortuner 3.0 D4-d (Olaf) Mine
    2017 Afrispoor Cheetah
    2015 Conqueror Companion (Indlovu) SOLD
    2008 Disco 3 TDV6 S gone to Landy heaven

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2