Vic falls, Or Sani

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Vic falls, Or Sani

Apologies if its in the wrong section,

This year I would like to visit both Vic falls and Sani Pass.

However the wife said we are only doing one trip.. In august

Which would you guys recommend? Both will be a max of 7-9 days, hopefully getting two weekends in

Vic falls would take us
    JHB - Gabs - Nata - Kasane - vic falls and then back to kasane in one day. Coming back to JHb the same way as we went up

Lesotho will be
    JHB - camp near Underberg (Suggestions?) - Sani - Katse - Maletsunyane falls and then back to JHB probably via the free state

Which would you guys recommend?

Things to note,
    Wife likes taking snaps
    We have two kids 8 and 5, both boys
    We would like to camp as much as possible, Enough kit and what not

Default Re: Vic falls, Or Sani

Sani is way less complex. We were in Vic falls a week ago. We flew in. It was amazing, lovely locals and absolutely pristine. But 30$ for a burger!

We spent a little over 5k in four days just on food. If you have a vehicle then, then you will have issues getting fuel.

If you want to do anything there, figure on around 100$ per person/activity!

This is also a malaria area, so another complexity, especially with small kids.

I would say 7 days is too long In sani, but a trip through Lesotho, to Clarence and perhaps sterkfontein or similar may keep you busy for that period?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post:

Vic falls.
    Drive up to Kasane. Arrange with one of the tour operators for a day trip to Vic falls and spend the rest of the time in Kasane/ Chobe.
    Every one must at least see Vic falls once in their lifetime.
    Sani is only 4 hrs away and can be done on a weekend.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pieterk For This Useful Post:

^^^ This.

Stem saam met Piererk gaan doen Vic Falls.Ek Sani sommer oor n naweek gedoen op by Sanipas oorgeslaap daar bo en toe uit daar by Fouriesburg

I suggest you tell her she can choose which one she wants to go with you on.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

9. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

As an experience, there is just no comparison. Sani is a steep dirt road. Vic falls is one of the seven wonders of the world.

As for fuel and food prices, if you enter through Bots (as you described), and you self-cater, it's not that expensive. And in august, malaria is a non-event.

However, if it were me, I would spend the majority of my time on the Chobe river near Kasane, or possibly in Whange...
    Last edited by Peter Connan; 2019/01/03 at 05:15 AM.
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

Going to Vic Falls driving will cost big Bucks in Fuel alone ..Far less at Sani and environs

Sani is cheaper and shorter trip, but camping in that climate in winter, eish. Also include Katse dam and dam wall tour, very interesting standing in a damn wall 40m below surface.
    There are lodges all over, but i would avoid backpacker sleepovers, not my kettle of fish, sharing a bathroom with 20 other persons.
    First time up Sani we had snow, bitterly cold and we slept in backpackers, people in tents really chopped off
    Last edited by julius caesar; 2019/01/03 at 07:00 AM.
    Henk Pretorius D4 3,0 SDV6 HSE
    EX AFRICII SEMPER NOVUS

Quote Originally Posted by MartinBravo View Post
    Apologies if its in the wrong section,

This year I would like to visit both Vic falls and Sani Pass.

Which would you guys recommend? Both will be a max of 7-9 days, hopefully getting two weekends in

Vic falls would take us
    JHB - Gabs - Nata - Kasane - vic falls and then back to kasane in one day. Coming back to JHb the same way as we went up

Lesotho will be
    JHB - camp near Underberg (Suggestions?) - Sani - Katse - Maletsunyane falls and then back to JHB probably via the free state

Which would you guys recommend?

Things to note,
    Wife likes taking snaps
    We have two kids 8 and 5, both boys
    We would like to camp as much as possible, Enough kit and what not
    IMHO Jhb to Vic falls via Kasane and then back to Kasane in one day is not only pointless, but tiring. I would go Jhb to Elephant Sands. Next day Senyati to set up camp, and to stay there. That gives you east quick access to Kasane, Chobe etc....
    For what it is worth....
    Been up Sani pass often. It is a steep hill with a great pub at the top. Good to get on your CV, but nothing more.
    But a favour, please..... anyone got some recent photos of the pub up there? Last time I was there the pub was being renovated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayocee View Post
    IMHO Jhb to Vic falls via Kasane and then back to Kasane in one day is not only pointless, but tiring. I would go Jhb to Elephant Sands. Next day Senyati to set up camp, and to stay there. That gives you east quick access to Kasane, Chobe etc....
    For what it is worth....
    Been up Sani pass often. It is a steep hill with a great pub at the top. Good to get on your CV, but nothing more.
    But a favour, please..... anyone got some recent photos of the pub up there? Last time I was there the pub was being renovated.
    No photos but was up there a couple months back. Renovations are done. All they did was neaten up and clean the walls from all the writing.
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - Hybrid Turbo, Intercooler, 33's, 2" Lift, V8 TC, Ashcroft CW&P 3.75 + ATB lockers. [GoldiloX]
    2003 LR Discovery 2 Td5 ES - Lots of Mods(check thread) - [Husky]
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu] - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post
    As an experience, there is just no comparison. Sani is a steep dirt road. Vic falls is one of the seven wonders of the world.
    This is the correct response.

HOWEVER if you also do a loop through Lesotho, say Sani - Thaba Tseka - Katse - Semonkong - Maletsunyane - Malekgonyane for instance, then THAT is a trip. PLENTY of dirt road options if you use T4A.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

@Jayocee
    It will take about 3 days to get to Kasane, then kasane to vic and back for 1 day.wont try
    JHB - Kasane-Vic etc in one day.
    i dont think thats even possible

as for fuel costs, the way its dropping now, by august they will be paying us to drive! (I wish)
    Last edited by MartinBravo; 2019/01/03 at 03:11 PM.

Vic falls, although keep in mind the falls will be close to their lowest point in August. Best view will be from the Zambia side.

Camp at Senyati for 3 nights or so; do a day trip with an operator to Vic falls. Next day you can do a game drive into Chobe NP and a sunset cruise on the river.

Although dry, DO NOT under estimate the malaria risk especially for your kids. The risk is there all year round.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2019/01/03 at 11:07 AM.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

This, good advice right there
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1421.resized.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	174.2 KB 
ID:	514855   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1422.resized.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	125.4 KB 
ID:	514856   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1423.resized.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	136.5 KB 
ID:	514857  
    Last edited by Stranger; 2019/01/03 at 11:23 AM.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

@Jayocee
    It will take about 3 days to get to Kasane, then kasane to vic and back for 1 day.wont try
    i dont think thats even possibel
    JHB to Kasane is done easily in 2 days, with really nice camp site options as stop overs - either Elephant Sands or Nata Lodge.

You can do and see alot of nice stuff in bots in 9 days. As has been mentioned, camp at Senyati, do the falls trip with a tour guide the one day (Taking your vehicle over just to see the falls sounds like a mission to me), do a day trip into Chobe, do a sunset boat ride, then slowly drive back, again stay at elephant sands or nata, go have a look at the Nata bird sanctuary, then maybe a night at khama rhino sanctuary, and then home.

This has got me lus now
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

@Jayocee
    i dont think thats even possibel

as for fuel costs, the way its dropping now, by august they will be paying us to drive! (I wish)
    Why would you not try a day trip to Vic Falls from Kasane? We have done it before without any problems, time wise and other.

Unless I understand wrong, I don't think the OP's idea was to do Jhb to Vic Falls in one day. The one day is once he got to Kasane. But then I have been wrong before

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Daniek For This Useful Post:

My choice would be Vic Falls if you have not seen it before.

From my November records:

Bela Bela to Elephant Sands via Stockpoort border 800 km. Travel time about 10 hrs. A long day but on mostly good tar with some gravel and some potholes and roadworks. You could break it up by stopping at Woodlands Stopover just north of Francistown.

Elephant Sands to Vic Falls via Pandamatenga border 265 km. Border fees for double cab without trailer USD 50.

I stayed at Victoria Falls Camp in town. I can't remember the cost but it was not expensive. 2 nights would be OK if you leave Elephant Sands at a reasonable hour so you have 1 1/2 days in Vic Falls.

Return to Bots at Kazungula (road border) and stay at Senyati or one of the other camps in Kasane.

Both Stockpoort and Pandamatenga are quiet borders and I have never been longer than 45 minutes getting through both sides. I think the cost of a day trip to Vic Falls for 4 people will be far greater than the border fees and you also have the option to stay longer if you wish. From Victoria Falls you can also get a taxi (or walk) to the Zambian side. Eating out in Vic Falls can be pricey but to my mind not over the top.

Hope this helps.
    Pete

ADVENTURE BEFORE DEMENTIA

2002 Mitsubishi Colt Rodeo 3.0

26. The Following User Says Thank You to petewill For This Useful Post:

Why must women always be so difficult?
    Toyota Land Cruiser 76 4.5D V8 "Matchbox". Toyota Hi-Lux D4D 4x4 "Willebees" (My daily drive). Afrispoor Cheetah 2-Sleeper Easy Camper. Hyundai i20 1.6 (SWAMBO's daily drive).

28. The Following User Says Thank You to HermanvdW For This Useful Post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180413_164903.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	283.4 KB 
ID:	515223Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180413_165039.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	203.9 KB 
ID:	515224Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180413_163610.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	319.5 KB 
ID:	515225
    Sani Top April 2018. It was a great trip over 10 days from CTwn, turning around at Sani but Vic Falls is spectacular and a far more logistically demanding trip.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast