Trailer Top Bike Racks

Default Trailer Top Bike Racks

Hi all
    On the top of my Wilderness 310 I carry 3 bikes. Currently they are on Holdfast Top Runner and Thunderbolt Racks, but the problem is the racks simply aren't strong enough or sturdy enough to deal with the forces associated, with the movement on a trailer on really bad roads and tracks. After a 5000km trip I am left with racks that have ended up self destructing, with bent brackets, stripped bolts and damaged paintwork on the bikes.

So now I am looking for a solution with a rack that I can bolt directly onto the trailer rack.

Has anyone built their own trailer-top racks that can provide some ideas and solutions?

Thanks and have a great new year.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Default Re: Trailer Top Bike Racks

Years ago my dad built a bike rack/frame that bolted to the top of the venter trailer.

The bikes fitted on it by removing the front wheels and fastening the forks to quick release fittings/axle thingys, (like the wheel would normally attach to the fork) welded on the frame, the back wheel sat in a small cradle and was strapped in. We transported three bikes like that.

I hope this description makes sense, Im struggling with words so early in the year it seems
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

As Graham said.

I have also custom made a bicycle rack before. Basically fork-mounted them with rear wheel inside a well or between two square tubes (fastened with gator straps). This method is very secure and the bikes move with the vehicle. The front wheels were placed parallel with the rears in their own gutter. When doing multi stage events, please remember fatigue causes you to forget your front wheel easily with fork-mounted setups.

Quote Originally Posted by NoPressure View Post
    As Graham said.

I have also custom made a bicycle rack before. Basically fork-mounted them with rear wheel inside a well or between two square tubes (fastened with gator straps). This method is very secure and the bikes move with the vehicle. The front wheels were placed parallel with the rears in their own gutter. When doing multi stage events, please remember fatigue causes you to forget your front wheel easily with fork-mounted setups.
    Here is my setup. The outer frame was reinforced and i added the 2x aluminium strips to avoid flexing but it still vibrates a bit. Trailer needs a good heavy load to keep it from bouncing.

These are Holdfast brackets. The rear wheel tray originally came with Velcro straps but they used to come undone so now use cable ties but you must put masking tape and a cloth over the rim to prevent chaffing.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190102_155524-600x800.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	514776Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190102_155540-600x800.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	514777
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.4 4x4 auto
    Metalian Maxi
    2014 Jeep Cherokee 3,2 Limited AWD A/T (swambo)

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6 Overland (sold)
    2011 Fortuner 3 D4D 4x4 (sold)

I understand your issue a bit better now. So basically the trailer has quite a high level of vibration and harshness that is transmitted to the mounting brackets. Thus, the issue needs to be addressed either by a) your new mounts or by b) altering the trailer, or maybe a combination of both.

a) What tyre are you using 29 x 2.4? I would consider a mount that keeps the front wheel on (as the wheel will absorb the vibration and harshness). The wider tyre will lend itself to a triangular vice setup without damaging your rim.
    b) I would maybe contact a trailer parts distributor to hear about retrofitting some dampers/shocks for your trailer - not only for the bikes, but also for the rest of your equipment inside the trailer if you are using it regularly on unsealed roads.
    I would also consider placing those rubbers found between an alu canopy and a loadbin to additionally assist in shock absorption by the rack itself.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will assist you better. I just tend to build my own setups as each situation is unique and thule is to expensive to drill and alter continually.

As mentioned above I reckon your issue is rather to smooth the ride on your trailer, over inflated tyres, leaf spring packs that are too stiff etc.

Although long trips like you mention 5000 kms can take their toll on any trailer, esepcially if towing at speed on bad roads, trailers just dont have the plush suspension most SUV's can easily soak up doing high speeds on corrugated roads, while the trailer is left bouncing around and shaken to death.

There are obviously many ways one can beef things up, but if the trailer is vibrating, things will always pull loose.

We have done a few different configurations of bicycle trailers or just racks added to clients trailers, I have yet to get one come back with a break down. Here are a couple of sample photos:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Single bike & 4 bicycle easy loader - www.xfactorsport.co.za.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	472.3 KB 
ID:	515228   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bicycle Lid Caddy.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	515229   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4 Bicycle lid carrier.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	515230   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Single bike & 4 bicycle easy loader - www.xfactorsport.co.za5.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	515231   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Multi Purpose Commercial Trailer - www.xfactorsport.co.za4.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	360.0 KB 
ID:	515232   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Multi Purpose Commercial Trailer - www.xfactorsport.co.za1.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	417.7 KB 
ID:	515233  

Thanks for the responses

In the final analysis I think the main problems are:

1) The bike racks being secured by handtightened clamps. The bars underneath the clamps are too long and eventually end up bending. This is especially so on the thru-axle fork-mounted rack.
    2) The bike racks themselves not being stiff enough.
    3) Too much lateral movement (which I alleviated by strapping the tops of the bike frames to the sides of the trailer top rack)

I have an old but rugged holdfast towbar mounted 3-bike rack which I like, so will perhaps look at replicating one of those which can be bolted to the top of the trailer, and then making use of lots of strapping

I agree vibration will always be an issue, and perhaps the tyre pressures were too high (what pressures do people run on their bike trailers)
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

All depends on tyre load rating and what sort of load is on. When I deliver empty trailers with 14 inch 195R14C tyres on I drop the pressure as low as half a bar to make the ride less bouncy and save the trailer (if its along distance delivery) If its close by I usually go to 1.3 bar. But it differs trailer to trailer.

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...ge3?highlight=

Simon, my post #56, I built one from angle iron and square tubing.
    Very strong!

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...ion?highlight=

Simon also my thread about thew build, and how I then changed it. Hope this might help you

Personally, I think (Out of experience), that when you do rough roads, use a system where you remove the front wheels and tight it to the trailer as tie down point as per pictures of my second post on this thread post #10
    Last edited by Bostokkelos; 2019/01/07 at 05:15 PM.

We used to load three bikes on our trailer..removing the wheels and clamping the fork. I found I still had too much movement..so used bike tie downs...never looked back..