Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default My High's & Low's with my Disco 2's - #1, #2 and now #3

So after many prompts by Mr Riaan Van Wyk about me doing a post on my current Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 - 2005 #3. I did a bit of thinking and thought better to start at the beginning of my trials and tribulations, Highs & Lows of owing 3 Disco 2's.

My 1st taste of 4x4 was a Red SVM that I purchased when I moved to Mtunzini way back in 1994. In "those" days the beaches where drivable and with so much open beach in the north it was the perfect little 4x4 to hit the beaches and cruise between Richards Bay and Sodwana. Once back home all that was needed was a good wash inside and out and she was ready to go again. To this day I still kick myself that I ever sold her!!!!!!!!!

The 4x4 bug had bitten. I loved the option of being able to go places that "normal" cars could not.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SVM B.jpg 
Views:	1077 
Size:	271.0 KB 
ID:	513911

Name:	SVM D.jpg 
Views:	1079 
Size:	270.2 KB 
ID:	513912

Some time around May / June 2005 My Future Ex Father In Law (Have not married or divorced his daughter as yet) was selling his 1999 Disco 2 (lets call her #1). He had bought it new and I had always been keen to own a Land Rover. So thought now is as good a time as any and jumped in with both feet and bought it from him.

Right from the start I loved the ride and the car!

Name:	NUF 5128 D.JPG 
Views:	1075 
Size:	749.0 KB 
ID:	513913

The Landy was in good shape and this is where the learning curve started. We had many great trips in her and she never lets us down on the long open roads. All the work done to her Good and Bad is a blur as quite a bit has been done to all 3 Disco's so details are sketchy about #1.

Anyway moving on.

Then in June 2009 I wrote #1 off!!! Turns out it was a really clever way to be able to check the underside of my landy for oil leaks.
    I must say it was My Bad and I accept full responsibility for this F _ _ K _ P.

Was towing a big double axel flatbed trailer to Durban. The Flatbed had another boat trailer loaded on top of it. I was not present when they loaded the trailer on the trailer but had said to the guys to make sure that the hitch was properly weighted. When I hitched up that morning found it was quite light but time was rushed and did not have the manpower to shift the load. We got about 80km down the road to Durban and things went horribly wrong. Had the trailer swinging off the hitch that I did not even need to turn my head to see the trailer out the corner of my eye. It was no fun at all. Ended up hitting the bridge concrete wall almost head on. NO idea what speed at impact.

Will let the pictures tell the rest of the story. Sorry about the quality of the images but at the time I was not feeling any creative juices flowing.

Name:	NUF 5128 AD.jpg 
Views:	1106 
Size:	235.6 KB 
ID:	513914

Name:	NUF 5128 AC.jpg 
Views:	1088 
Size:	230.4 KB 
ID:	513915

Name:	NUF 5128 AJ.jpg 
Views:	1078 
Size:	220.1 KB 
ID:	513916

Happy to report that my passenger and I walked away without even a scratch.
    #1 had around 180 000 on the clock at her demise 1999 - 2009.
    Last edited by Gavin Fordham; 2018/12/22 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Problem loading

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gavin Fordham For This Useful Post:

Default Re: My High's & Low's with my Disco 2's - #1, #2 and now #3

Bloody hell you took your time didn't you

Gavin, welcome to the forum and I'm glad you are posting your story. At the Bainage GTG everyone oohed and aahed over your car and again at our recent function. As Markus rightly said, you have one of the most handsome D2's ever seen by us plebs.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

If I may- me taking pics of Gavin's truck.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

Another one:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

After all the paperwork and ### was sorted out went looking for #2.
    Found her in JHB and after checking her out top to bottom signed the paperwork to took her home to Empangeni. She was a 2000 TD5

Name:	ONGOYE-BV-X9-TM-PS.jpg 
Views:	1060 
Size:	626.9 KB 
ID:	513921

Name:	LANDROVER-PL--A-A-TM-PS.jpg 
Views:	1024 
Size:	346.2 KB 
ID:	513922

Name:	TD5-AC-TM-PS.jpg 
Views:	1057 
Size:	670.7 KB 
ID:	513923

All was going dandy with #2. Had experienced a couple of mechanical issues like.

• Replaced Fuel Pump.
    • Handled the 3 Amigos.
    • Sorted out the Clutch plate and rear prop shaft.
    • Fitted BF Goodrich 265/70/R16 - I must say they stood the test of time!!!!! Ended up on #3.......
    • Whipped out the air suspension after it failed me too many times and fitted 4 Terrafirma Coils and Shocks.
      • TF018 on the front. Ended up on #3.
      • TF027 V on the back - I also fitted a 2inch lift spacer between the axle and coil. Ended up on #3.

• Built a custom draw unit that stayed fitted in the back.
    • Redid the roof lining twice.
    • Re made the front tow ball mounting. On #1 it was fitted slightly to the left. The current mount has it in the centre.
    • #2 was fitted with a Sunroof which was a pain. Attached and mounted a plate to it that I will go into detail on #3.
    • Redid the starter motor.
    • And I think the head gasket was an issue but never got the chance to deal with that. The gods left that for #3.
    • Plus a couple of other "problems" that my brain has chosen to bury.

Had #2 written off for me in Sept 2013. On a flat open single lane road, was waiting to turn into a farm road at around 7:30 in the evening. Right Indicator and brake lights on waiting for a gap in the oncoming traffic to clear. Just as the traffic cleared and was about to go got smashed from behind and spun off the road. After checking that my better half was ok, got out to check damage and see what was going on. Found the truck in the road with the driver trying to restart the truck. He managed to start and drove off in the direction of Eshowe. At this point was not even sure the Landy was drivable to give chase. As fortune would have it, low and behold lay the front number plate in the middle of the road. Checked out the damage and found the truck had smashed in the back right side but the landy was still drivable. Drove out of ditch and to the farm and lost count of the number of beers consumed that night paying tribute to a fallen landy. Once again both of us very lucky. Only injury was Nikki who had a bit of whiplash. If we had been in a smaller car...............

Name:	DSCN9129.jpg 
Views:	1056 
Size:	232.2 KB 
ID:	513924

Put the word out about the truck and its licence plate number and low and behold the next day a mate tells me to head to the road construction taking place in town and what do I find but the track from the accident. Minus the driver who did a runner in the middle of the night.

Name:	_AAA6159.jpg 
Views:	1061 
Size:	239.1 KB 
ID:	513925

Name:	DSCN9125.jpg 
Views:	1075 
Size:	217.3 KB 
ID:	513926

Had to use an angle grinder and crow bar to open the back door. Whole cab twisted.

RIP - 2000 - 2013

This brings me to my 3rd Love (#3). November 2013 to present day and the reason for this post.

I took my time in deciding what I wanted to drive. Test drove a couple of TD5 Defenders and in the end went back to the Disco 2. This time the hunt took me to Port Shepstone where I once again signed on the dotted line to took ownership of #3. A silver 2005 Auto TD5......

Stay tuned......

Name:	AAA4333.jpg 
Views:	1069 
Size:	382.3 KB 
ID:	513927

More to Follow.......

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gavin Fordham For This Useful Post:

Subscribed with interest

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Therackermann For This Useful Post:

Subscribed and admiring beautiful Disco 2's
    SJ 413 - "98 model coily, until son gets license
    Mitsubishi Triton DC 3.2 A/T 4X4
    2007 Hilux 2.5 D4D SOLD

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Johan Engelbrecht For This Useful Post:

Cant wait for the next episode Keep it comimg
    Audi A6 Avant Quattro V6 tdi ( Sold )
    VW Touareg V6 tdi ( sadly written off )
    2 x Toyota Celica GT4 Gen 6 (Sold) sadly missed
    2 x Toyota Celica Gen. 5 ( Sold ) not missed as much as the above.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to meh For This Useful Post:

Lovely. High on my list of retirement vehicles.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

19. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Gavin welcome, don’t suppose you are related to Mark Fordham, ex JHB now in Oz??

Cheers
    Regards - Marco Chezzi

There are two kinds of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data..

Quote Originally Posted by Marcochezzi View Post
    Gavin welcome, don’t suppose you are related to Mark Fordham, ex JHB now in Oz??

Cheers
    Hi Marcochezzi.

Not that I know of........

So lets kick off with some of the costs incurred since I have had #3

Dec 2013 – New Glow Plugs – R2000.00

Was having a starting issue only in the mornings when engine was cold, once warm no problem starting.

Found out that the local LandRover agents that fitted the Glow Plugs miss treaded one. Durning the rebuild could not get one out.

Jan 2014 – Auto Box Selector – R2500.00

Auto Box was showing warning faults and not changing correctly, turned out to be a simple wire fault

Oct 2014 – Injectors R30000.00

Ouch!!!

Nov 2014 – Fuel Pump – R13000.00

Fuel pump plus some repairs thrown in.

May 2015 – Turbo – Flat Bed – R3000.00

Name:	Turbo.jpg 
Views:	691 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	514350

July 2016 – Turbo – R4500.00

Blew halfway to Durban. Turbo let go just as I throttled down at the toll plaza. Pulled into the petrol station about 200m after. Landy billowing white smoke and had petrol attendants very concerned…..

Aug 2016 – Power Steering Pump – R9000.00

Started hearing a noise = $$$$$

Mar 2017 – Engine Rebuild – R50000.00

Could have been far worse. Happy to pay R50000.00. Pulls like a train again and going strong.

Feb 2018 – Starter Motor – R535.00

More of an inconvenience, Turn key and nothing…..

Mar 2018 – BF Tyres – R13800.00

For 4 new shoes.

July 2018 – Pro Shaft Refurb – R3000.00

Started hearing a noise =

Oct 2018 – Oil Heat Exchanger – R4600.00

Name:	Engine 10.JPG 
Views:	714 
Size:	138.5 KB 
ID:	514351Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Engine 11.jpg 
Views:	704 
Size:	292.2 KB 
ID:	514352

Dumped a fair amount of oil into the coolant line. Oil all over the place. Lucky the problem was picked up straight away. No damage to engine. The new after market part built to last.
    Total Pro at flushing the coolent system. 8)

Oct 2018 – Turbo Hoses – R2100.00

Was ordering replacement Silicone water hoses so replaced the turbo hoses same time.

Name:	Engine 02.jpg 
Views:	680 
Size:	327.8 KB 
ID:	514353

I had a drawer box in #2. After the accident box had taken a bit of a beating so redesigned it and made a new box for #3. The main reason for the box is I enjoy landscape photography and hate having to pack for each outing. Usually on location about 45min before sunrise so the less I need to do before leaving wins. Only have to grab my camera bag and lenses and go. With the back door locked no one going to be able to open any of the draws.

Name:	BOX--(1).jpg 
Views:	683 
Size:	490.1 KB 
ID:	514354Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BOX--(3).jpg 
Views:	684 
Size:	633.8 KB 
ID:	514355

Name:	BOX--(4).jpg 
Views:	669 
Size:	279.0 KB 
ID:	514356Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BOX--(5).jpg 
Views:	663 
Size:	318.6 KB 
ID:	514357Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BOX--(6).jpg 
Views:	666 
Size:	332.0 KB 
ID:	514358

The box is chained to the rear seats mounts and to make sure it does not move have inserted a tyre tube which is slightly inflated between the rear seat and box which keeps the chain under tenson and "pushes" backwards.

Name:	Outing 1.JPG 
Views:	658 
Size:	526.4 KB 
ID:	514360Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Outing-2.jpg 
Views:	669 
Size:	903.4 KB 
ID:	514361Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Outing 3.JPG 
Views:	677 
Size:	530.5 KB 
ID:	514362

The pic from that trip.

Name:	MALMOTH-LT-2017-PS-D-01.jpg 
Views:	664 
Size:	596.7 KB 
ID:	514367

I do have a Flicker profile of other images taken. https://www.flickr.com/photos/gavin_fordham/

The photography side is helped greatly due to the ease that I can get to most of the locations in the Landy. And having almost all that I need inside the box means I can get some unplanned images.
    And if I get into a tough spot can get myself out with not too much fuss......
    Last edited by Gavin Fordham; 2018/12/29 at 09:28 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Gavin Fordham For This Useful Post:

Part 1

Fitted a compressor in the engine bay and wanted it to do a bit more than just pump tyres. When I do have to walk to get to photo spots its nice to be able to "clean" up and bit before heading home.

Name:	Air & Water 03.jpg 
Views:	637 
Size:	306.2 KB 
ID:	514368

Believe it or not but I am a little lazy so did not want to have to open the hood each time I wanted to use the compressor, so I fitted an air switch to the rear bumper as most of the action happens at the back door.
    The air switch has proven to be very reliable. Plus only needed to run a tube to the rear and not wire.

Name:	Air & Water 01.jpg 
Views:	649 
Size:	464.1 KB 
ID:	514369Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Air & Water 02.jpg 
Views:	653 
Size:	240.1 KB 
ID:	514370

The airline from the compressor is split, one line goes to a quick couple located just under the left side in the middle of the Landy and continues to another coupling fitted to the tow hitch frame.

Name:	Air & Water 08.jpg 
Views:	663 
Size:	157.0 KB 
ID:	514371Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Air & Water 09.jpg 
Views:	642 
Size:	266.3 KB 
ID:	514372Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Air & Water 11.jpg 
Views:	667 
Size:	209.4 KB 
ID:	514373

All quick couples have dust covers to keep the fittings clean.

The other line goes through a one way valve to a water tank (holds 10L) fitted under the right side between the wheels.

Name:	Air & Water 04.jpg 
Views:	658 
Size:	211.5 KB 
ID:	514374Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Air & Water 06.jpg 
Views:	650 
Size:	256.2 KB 
ID:	514376

The incoming line is connected to the top of the tank and at the rear a bleed tap to aid the refilling of the tank. When filling and water starts to come out of this tap, tank 100% full. The water take off point is at the front which is the lowest point. My Landy does sit a bit higher in the rear. Also fitted a bump valve which is used to drain the tank directly.

From the tank a line runs to the back right side of the Tow Hitch frame and another quick couple is fitted.

Name:	Air & Water 10.jpg 
Views:	659 
Size:	249.6 KB 
ID:	514377

To keep it simple and allow the same fittings to be connected to air and water used the following for filling.

Connects to the water quick release and the other side to a garden hose. Open the bleed value on the top of the tank, open the tap on the connector and wait till water comes out of the tank bleed line.

Name:	Air & Water 14.jpg 
Views:	651 
Size:	474.5 KB 
ID:	514378

This is the "tap" which can connect directly to the quick release of either the air or water line or connect a hose line if I need to run any hose and give myself a bit is distance from the Landy.

Name:	Air & Water 15.jpg 
Views:	657 
Size:	427.7 KB 
ID:	514380

The sprung lever makes a great auto shut off when connected to the water line.

See Part 2
    Last edited by Gavin Fordham; 2018/12/29 at 10:22 PM.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gavin Fordham For This Useful Post:

Part 2

Refilling the Tank and Tap fitted directly to water line

Name:	Air & Water 16.jpg 
Views:	633 
Size:	205.9 KB 
ID:	514381Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Air & Water 18.jpg 
Views:	644 
Size:	219.7 KB 
ID:	514382

System In action.

Last edited by Gavin Fordham; 2018/12/29 at 10:55 PM.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gavin Fordham For This Useful Post:

Part 3

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gavin Fordham For This Useful Post:

Awesomeness Gav!

Must say I'm stoked that fellow members can also see your ride and what you did with it.

Edit: A pity I couldn't join you on the trip to that beacon on the Nkwalini pass. But have been there and have a pic of my Triton at the same place. And got nothing near as worthwhile picture wise as your one of the cars going up and down the pass.
    Last edited by Riaan van Wyk; 2018/12/29 at 11:28 PM.

TD5 Engine.

Nothing fancy done to her since the Engine rebuild. List of items changed since purchased.

• · The Centre Silencer Box Removed.
    • · Flexible Exhaust Connector Replaced
    • · Bonnet Lining Removed.
    • · Plastic Engine Cover Removed.
    • · Turbo Heat Guard Removed.
    • · Madman System Fitted.
    • · Silicone Hoses Fitted.
    • · EGR Removed.
    • · Manual Water Pressure Gauge Fitted.
    • · Manual Oil Pressure Gauge Fitted.
    • · Plate Fitted to Prevent Engine Cover Coming Loose.
    • · After Market Oil Cooler Fitted. (Landy Parts)

Was having loss of power, found out it was the Mass Air Flow Sensor causing ###. Cleaned but did not help. Replaced with Original Part. Power Back!!!!

Plan to get the ECU modified to increase performance. Will let you know how that turns out.

Name:	Engine 01.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	306.2 KB 
ID:	515101Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Engine 03.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	358.0 KB 
ID:	515102Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Engine 04.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	317.5 KB 
ID:	515103Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Engine 05.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	207.1 KB 
ID:	515105Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Engine 06.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	222.0 KB 
ID:	515104Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Engine 07.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	283.4 KB 
ID:	515106Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Engine 09.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	445.9 KB 
ID:	515107Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Engine 11.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	292.2 KB 
ID:	515108Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Engine 12.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	302.8 KB 
ID:	515109

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Gavin Fordham For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast