Amboseli National Park and the greater Amboseli ecosystem

Default Amboseli National Park and the greater Amboseli ecosystem

A question was asked on apfacís recent trip report about camping in or around Amboseli. Here are my answers to the question.

Amboseli National Park:

There is only one public campsite within the National Park. It is behind the Kimana HQ and near to the Kimana gate.

There used to be a community campsite about 3 kms from the Kimana gate (signposted Kimana Community Camp). I am not so sure that it is still a community camp and might have been taken over as a commercial operation. I last camped there in 2017 when it was still a community camp. At that time, if camping in this community camp, one was allowed two visits per day into the national park without paying extra park fees, but they did not allow one visit one day and the next visit the following day. We have camped at both the national park (KWS) campsite and the aforesaid community camp and have come to the conclusion that we prefer the KWS campsite within the park. I would ask the rangers at the gate to the national park as to whether the community campsite is still functioning and what the entrance requirements are if camping there.

Kimana Sanctuary:

Please see this https://www.kimanasanctuary.com/ which is an initiative founded and supported by the Big Life Foundation and the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust amongst others. Although I havenít been there, it is a community-owned sanctuary which needs to be supported and publicised. These sort of initiatives are what will give a future to the iconic African wildlife and help human-wildlife conflict.

Kimana Sanctuary has bush campsites, and a lovely looking house to rent. It is about half an hourís drive to the Kimana gate of Amboseli National Park.

Please see this excellent blog site written by a very nice young Kenyan (who we know) who is striving to get young Kenyans out and about to visit their heritage at a reasonable cost. https://thekenyancamper.com/2018/10/...mboseli-kenya/

I have read about a bush community campsite near the Meshanani Gate to Amboseli NP. I am sure it is fine, but the Meshanani Gate is quite a long way on a rough road from where the action is happening in the swamp, Ol Tukai and surrounding area. The Kenyan Camper writes about this in one of his blog posts.

Safari njema!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Amboseli National Park and the greater Amboseli ecosystem

Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post

Please see this excellent blog site written by a very nice young Kenyan (who we know) who is striving to get young Kenyans out and about to visit their heritage at a reasonable cost. https://thekenyancamper.com/2018/10/...mboseli-kenya/

I have read about a bush community campsite near the Meshanani Gate to Amboseli NP. I am sure it is fine, but the Meshanani Gate is quite a long way on a rough road from where the action is happening in the swamp, Ol Tukai and surrounding area. The Kenyan Camper writes about this in one of his blog posts.

Safari njema!
    Thank you WW for completing the info asked on the report thread. The Kimana Sanctuary is indeed a place to consider and to be publicized. We opted for not to visit it, as we wanted to stay in the park and we were coming form the West ( through Meshanani Gate).
    About the Meshanani Gate Community CS, I believe you want to refer to the Olgilului Campsite that The kenyan Camper mentions on his blog ( https://thekenyancamper.com/2017/05/...mboseli-kenya/ ). At the end of this post one can get the contacts to get the stay organized.

While on Amboseli, we met a couple of French Overlanders that have stayed a night there, but they were not that enthusiastic about the place, and decided to come to KWS Kimana PCS for the second night. I wonder why? Also, as you mention, the road ( C103) from Meshanani Gate to the central area of the park is not in a good state and it will take over an hour to cover it.

Asante sana! Safari njema!
    Last edited by apfac; 2018/12/19 at 01:48 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apfac For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by apfac View Post
    About the Meshanani Gate Community CS, I believe you want to refer to the Olgilului Campsite that The kenyan Camper mentions on his blog ( https://thekenyancamper.com/2017/05/...mboseli-kenya/ ). At the end of this post one can get the contacts to get the stay organized.

While on Amboseli, we met a couple of French Overlanders that have stayed a night there, but they were not that enthusiastic about the place, and decided to come to KWS Kimana PCS for the second night. I wonder why? Also, as you mention, the road ( C103) from Meshanani Gate to the central area of the park is not in a good state and it will take over an hour to cover it.
    Thank you, apfac.

According to the Kenyan Camper, the Olguluoi campsite is an “informal” campsite on a group ranch. I wouldn’t have thought there would be any toilets or ablutions and it will just be a piece of rather dusty Africa. I would hazard a guess that the payment for camping does not necessarily get receipted and therefore does not end up benefitting the community or wildlife conservation. But perhaps I am being cynical. It would not be my first choice of campsite in the greater Amboseli ecosystem.
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2018/12/19 at 06:18 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

There used to be a community campsite about 3 kms from the Kimana gate (signposted Kimana Community Camp). I am not so sure that it is still a community camp and might have been taken over as a commercial operation. I last camped there in 2017 when it was still a community camp. At that time, if camping in this community camp, one was allowed two visits per day into the national park without paying extra park fees, but they did not allow one visit one day and the next visit the following day.
    We have camped at this campsite in January 2018. I'm also not sure this still is a community campsite. On Tracks4Africa it is marked as "Kimana Public Campsite". but it is positioned on the left (NE) side of the approach road. While we were there, there was nothing like campsite on that side of the road - campsite was about 300 m further along the road and on the right (SW) side of it. In T4A, this position is marked as Sentrim Amboseli Lodge, while on Google maps there are both Kimana Public Campsite and Sentrim Amboseli Lodge on the same property. I think that in this case Google Maps is more accurate and I think Sentrim Amboseli has taken over the comunity campsite. The campsite itself is nothing to write home about and next time we will rather stay in KWS kampsite inside the park.

When we were there, they allow one reentry into the park with one 24-hour entry permit, regardless if it was the same day of your first entry into the park, or the next day. Thus, we have made afternoon game drive in the park on the first day, then exit the park to overnight in this "comunity" campsite outside the park and then reenter the park the next day for our morning game drive - all with one 24-hour permit.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ortelius For This Useful Post:

Thank you, apfac.

".... I would hazard a guess that the payment for camping does not necessarily get receipted and therefore does not end up benefitting the community or wildlife conservation. But perhaps I am being cynical. It would not be my first choice of campsite in the greater Amboseli ecosystem.

Very good point. I would not have thought that much. After all, this is one of the main reasons when we visit a protected ecosystem/ park, to contribute in some way to their preservation/ community.

AP.

Quote Originally Posted by ortelius View Post

"....When we were there, they allow one reentry into the park with one 24-hour entry permit, regardless if it was the same day of your first entry into the park, or the next day. Thus, we have made afternoon game drive in the park on the first day, then exit the park to overnight in this "comunity" campsite outside the park and then reenter the park the next day for our morning game drive - all with one 24-hour permit.

Probably I got it wrong with the ONE entry only, and both of you Ortelius and WW are correct, with the one re-entry scheme.

A Merry X.mas and a "wanderlusty" 2019 to everyone.

AP.
    Last edited by apfac; 2018/12/20 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by apfac View Post

A Merry X.mas and a "wanderlusty" 2019 to everyone.

AP.
    Salama ya siku kuu, na salama ya mwaka mpya.

Kenya: Rudi tena, apfac.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the detailed responses all.
    Best wishes for 2019 from one of the secret spots in Cape Town!
    GCX
    Name:  fullsizeoutput_5831.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  76.8 KB

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Golf Charlie For This Useful Post: