Building a network of 4x4 tracks

Default Building a network of 4x4 tracks

Hi, my name is John, I have possible access to an easily accessible yet secure and comparatively remote farm with very steep mountains & valley outside of Dundee KZN. I'm considering opening up camping or a rustic bush camp and some 4x4 tracks and have loads of questions:
    1. Is there a demand for farm-stay camping & 4x4 in KZN?
    2. How many of km of track do I need to make it interesting for a wide range of 4x4 enthusiasts over a weekend, 2-3 days?
    3. The farm has some game but not a lot - would game be a massive advantage?
    4. Is there someone in KZN that knows the industry and could potentially have a look at the place I have in mind, give some pointers and 'coach' me in establishing some sort of track?

Thanks in advance for the assistance!

Default Re: Building a network of 4x4 tracks

I would like a venue like that.
    I know most venues saw a big decline in numbers in the last two years. Not many venues in Natal so maybe worth a try.
    This forum is misleading with this. Most active 4x4 drivers I know don't use this forum.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LRex For This Useful Post:

Get hold of the Clubs, like the Jeep Club etc. Clubs often enjoy a weekend trip and get-together and will evaluate your property with suggestions.

Remember you are looking at catering to a relatively small segment of the ''outdoor'' market who are spoilt for choice regarding destinations with 4x4 offerings so you might have to offer something unique or broaden your offering to capture additional segments.
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2009 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8

Discovery and Range Rovers: SOLD: enough is enough

Smile Re: Building a network of 4x4 tracks

I last had anything to do with this before I left SA for Namibia 8 years ago - so a few things might have changed since then.

You canít just build a 4x4 track on a farm because you think it is a good idea. Very few users of these facilities, or people contemplating the creation of these facilities, realise the magnitude of the work involved to achieve this. I can only wish you luck and the strength to persevere in this endevour.....

You will need to check with the relevant local authority about their requirements. The land will, in all likelyhood, have an agricultural zoning. This will have to be changed and the Dept of Agriculture will be involved. You will also have to get an environmental consultant to do an Environmental Impact Assesment that needs to be approved by the relevant government bodies ( Nature Conservation and Water Affairs and Forestry, as far as I recall)

Johan
    2011 Daihatsu Terios 4x4
    2018 Isuzu KB300 Double Cab 4x4 Auto

6. The Following User Says Thank You to J Snyman For This Useful Post:

It takes lots of hard work. Trail and error. Listen to your clients and be there!

Having a keen interest in 4x4 and knowing some people in the industry helps a lot.

3 years running and Spookspruit 4x4 Trail is still going strong!

Gents, thanks so much for the he input, greatly appreciated!

PM sent.
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]

Maybe get hold of the KZN land rover owners club. From what I remember that was one hell of an active club down there
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Maybe get hold of the KZN land rover owners club. From what I remember that was one hell of an active club down there
    Yep, the LROC down here is still very active and gets out a lot.
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]