Default Vaal River - Any updates?

Does anyone have any news on the Vaal River sewerage situation? I am desperate to cast a fly to a feeding Yellowfish but some are saying the Vaal will be unfishable for the next year or two

Unfortunately the Flytalk forum is virtually dead with very little info to be had.

Anyone have any suggestions on other options within 2 hours of Pretoria? Just come back from Dullstroom but the trout thing just doesn't do it for me. There is nothing like the screaming run when a Yellow takes the fly and the bonus is hooking a Carp, Barbel or Muddy is also quite a rush.

Default Re: Vaal River - Any updates?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikepike View Post
    Does anyone have any news on the Vaal River sewerage situation? I am desperate to cast a fly to a feeding Yellowfish but some are saying the Vaal will be unfishable for the next year or two

Unfortunately the Flytalk forum is virtually dead with very little info to be had.

Anyone have any suggestions on other options within 2 hours of Pretoria? Just come back from Dullstroom but the trout thing just doesn't do it for me. There is nothing like the screaming run when a Yellow takes the fly and the bonus is hooking a Carp, Barbel or Muddy is also quite a rush.
    Go try Aloe Creek, owned by Fontuin, a member here, close to Rust de Winter, just watch out for crocs He is also an avid flyfisherman and will provide some great tips and spots:

http://www.aloecreekfarm.co.za/about.html
    2011 Volkswagen Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI with air (Mine)
    2014 Volkswagen Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI R Line (SWAMBO)

Quote Originally Posted by Mielie 84 View Post
    Go try Aloe Creek, owned by Fontuin, a member here, close to Rust de Winter, just watch out for crocs He is also an avid flyfisherman and will provide some great tips and spots:

http://www.aloecreekfarm.co.za/about.html
    Thanks, Aloecreek looks like a real option. How serious are you about the crocs? Not too keen on stepping on one of them

They are around, speak to thw guys at the lodge, they will advise you
    2011 Volkswagen Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI with air (Mine)
    2014 Volkswagen Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI R Line (SWAMBO)

My Swaer (Yellowfish maestro) reckons guys have been fishing at Oord Nebo just next to Elgro Lodge and it is fine. Caught some nice fish too.

Mike,

The river started to clean up well since they spent 20Mil on the main culprit pumping station near Vereeniging.
    Unfortunately there was another large spill last week which should be in the Parys area by now.

If it's the Vaal you want to fish, then you need to go as far downstream as possible. Potch, Klerksdorp would be about the closest to JHB that I would risk.
    Upstream of the Vaal dam is still okay but the spots are few and far between, as well as jealously guarded by those that fish them.

Most of us are skipping the middle Vaal above Bloemhof completely and travelling further to fish the Orange or Riet rivers and Sterkies or van der Kloof dams.

If the need to cast a fly becomes overwhelming, we dust off the 9 weights and go for barbel. It's a lot of fun and a 20kg cat puts a proper bend in that rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Geelvis View Post
    Mike,

The river started to clean up well since they spent 20Mil on the main culprit pumping station near Vereeniging.
    Unfortunately there was another large spill last week which should be in the Parys area by now.

If it's the Vaal you want to fish, then you need to go as far downstream as possible. Potch, Klerksdorp would be about the closest to JHB that I would risk.
    Upstream of the Vaal dam is still okay but the spots are few and far between, as well as jealously guarded by those that fish them.

Most of us are skipping the middle Vaal above Bloemhof completely and travelling further to fish the Orange or Riet rivers and Sterkies or van der Kloof dams.

If the need to cast a fly becomes overwhelming, we dust off the 9 weights and go for barbel. It's a lot of fun and a 20kg cat puts a proper bend in that rod.
    Thanks Geelvis.

I Have caught a couple of barbel in the 8kg class as well as a Carp of around 10kg on fly but wasn't specifically targeting them. I must admit that did put a proper smile on my dial 😄

I am happy to travel around 200km from Pretoria to get my fix, so thinking Elgro or Oord Nebo at this stage. I have some inside info on a spot upsream of the Vaal dam but have yet to fish there. My biggest concern is safety as I tend to fish on my own as I can get away in the week, hence my preference for the resort type spots like Elgro where I can park safely and not be too concerned about being "surprised" by unexpected visitors.

Lower Vaal/Orange is a dream at this stage as the "boss" is still ok for me to escape for a 2 day, 1 night excursion, but anything longer might seriously affect the brownie points.

Out of interest, where would you go to target 20kg Barbel? Have 9 weight, can travel

Cheers Mike

Hi Mike,

We've caught 20kg+ barbel in the Vaal Dam, Koppies, Bloemhof, Baberspan, vd Kloof, Kalkfontein and Orange River.

For most of these venues you need a boat as you need to find those quiet, shallow bays far from the crowds.
    It always helps to know a few farmers that have property on the shores where fishing isn't allowed.
    Getting a 15kg fish is quite doable but from there on, every kg becomes more difficult. As far as we know, nobody has caught a 30kg barbel on fly yet.

If you don't own a boat, Bloemhof, Kalkfontein and Baberspan are your best bet.

Alternatively, get hold of Terry Babich on oh eight three, 8 6 seven, six, four 2 3

Terry is arguably the best fly fishing guide in SA and has access to some of the finest fishing areas for big cats.
    He charges about R2000.00 per day but it'll be the best money you'll spend in a looonnngggg time.
    His knowledge is amazing and he teaches you things about fishing in a day that you'll take 20 years to learn on your own.

If you want to target those big fish, your equipment must be up to the task.

Make sure your reel has a lot of backing capacity. We generally use the Shilton CL reels because they can hold 250+m of backing and sometimes you need it all. We've even seen a barbel burn out the drag on a Galvan saltwater reel. The fly line should be cheapish as that fish will pull your line through the mud, go over stumps etc and you don't want a fancy RIO or SA line for that kind of job. We just use the Xplorer fly lines.

Get hold of Terry. It'll change your life!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Geelvis For This Useful Post:

A photo showing the color of the vaal today.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Zerubbabel 2 the 2008 4.8 turbo Patrol with some kit
    Nothing, not even a mighty mountain, will stand in Zerubbabelís way! (Zech 4:7)

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Hannes View Post
    A photo showing the color of the vaal today.
    Shame, only one motor.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD - PROFFESIONAL DUMBASS
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

Keith one is enough for the vaal.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mal Hannes For This Useful Post:

It's even enough for that.

This is about the quality of the vaal water not about kzn.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Spent a couple of days at Elgro River Lodge after Christmas. The flows were incredibly low (below 10 cumecs) and finding productive fishing spots was very tough. We managed to land a few nice Yellows, Muddies and Barbel including a 5.5kg Cat on my 4/5 weight. Put up an awesome fight but eventually got him in the net.

met die reen gaan dinge moeilik raak!!!

wees versigtig, vir daai flash floods....en daar gaan my hengel trip, eisch

Fished the Vaal twice in December to try get my one brother in law into his first yellow on fly.

On the 27th we fished Vaal de Soleil.

The water was very warm (too warm) with a low flow rate but I managed to get some nice muddies and a few yellows including a female of about 2.5kg until the lightning sent us packing.
    The fish were a bit sluggish but it's due to the warm water and low oxygen levels in the water. The muddies out numbered the yellows by about 5/1.
    BIL didn't get a fish but he's never nymphed before, so it was an afternoon of learning for him.

On the 30th we fished Eendekuil in the rain and the fishing was great. The rain had increased the flow and oxygenated the water so the fish were feeding well.
    I didn't get a single muddie but the small yellows kept me very busy. As it was more about teaching my BIL, we never ventured past the second channel and I didn't get to fish my favorite big fish spots.
    BIL managed to finally get a small yellow just before we were once again chased off the water by lightning in the area.

The flies that did most of the damage at both venues were Copper John #16 and two of my own versions of the PTN Hotpot #16 and #18.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Geelvis For This Useful Post: