urgent Grand Vitara 2.4 advise (coolant)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default urgent Grand Vitara 2.4 advise (coolant)

I recently bought a 2009 2.4 GV that has been back to dealer 4 times (overdue service, engine light coming on few times, which turned out to be the previous owner removing the cat)

On a weekend trip i noticed the temp gauge go up when i stopped at a toll. When i got home i checked the reservoir coolant levels and saw it was sitting on the min line in addition to that i suctioned up some with a straw and my thumb and it is totally clear it looks 100% like just water?

Would it be at this level after a service?
    Would it be clear ?

Any advise to what i should do, am i just being paranoid ?

Default Re: urgent Grand Vitara 2.4 advise (coolant)

It should not be clear like water we use proper coolant but even though it was water and it was checked at service its not supposed to be gone.
    Best to have the system checked for leaks and hopefully the overheating didn't cause any damage to the engine.
    2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2016 Audi A3 1.8 TFSI SE S-Tronic 3Dr

Could be a couple of things:

1. Leaking radiator - have it checked out.

2. The coolant may have been drained, and you have air in system if not refilled properly. Take the top off of a 2L coke bottle. Open the radiator expansion cap (when cold, obviously). Put on the cap side of bottle into hole. Fill bottle with coolant. Run engine until warm and check if fluid level drops in bottle (bubbles coming out).

3. If you want to drain all the water or check the fluid in radiator: when you look at engine, to you left at the bottom of radiator is a small white tap. Unscrew it to drain radiator.

Maybe do points 3 and 2 first, then you can check how much coolant you're loosing over time...

Thanks for the reply.

I decided to double check again, this time with shining a torch inside and saw that it is actually a touch over the max line being clear water looking on the side made it look like it was a different level.
    This car has driven me a little crazy

I will ask them to flush it next service and replace with proper coolant.

Rather change the water with coolant asap. Coolant also lubricates the water pump and does not corrode like water does.

Maybe the overheating was caused by an air lock in the systemas mentioned or the thermostat doesn't open correctly which may also have been caused by running water in the system for a long time.

Thanks for the advise, I will take it in the next chance i get.

The rust will block the radiator in time and then you will have over heating problems. I have one here with just that problem.

www.suzukiautoclubsa.co.za /
    Our way of life!

I have arranged with suzuki to get the coolant flushed/replaced tomorrow, which they said they can quickly do in the morning.

When the temp went up it never went into the red and as i nugged forward (like 1m) it went right back to half way, it then only happened again once while waiting for a parking to open up (similar situation), oddly the fan didnt come on.

I am not sure what the protocol is , if they like check for rust in what they drained or something but ill ask if they can check the radiator

Quote Originally Posted by nicholasg View Post
    I have arranged with suzuki to get the coolant flushed/replaced tomorrow, which they said they can quickly do in the morning.

When the temp went up it never went into the red and as i nugged forward (like 1m) it went right back to half way, it then only happened again once while waiting for a parking to open up (similar situation), oddly the fan didnt come on.

I am not sure what the protocol is , if they like check for rust in what they drained or something but ill ask if they can check the radiator
    Ask them to check the fan switches and the heat gauge as well. Could be that the fan doesn't come on or the gauge may be faulty

Make sure that your GV is not one of the ones susceptible to cracked blocks - the dealer can check the VIN number for you.

The Antifreeze generally used by Suzuki here is Castrol Radicool SF (silicate Free) it is bright pink - should be 50/50 with distilled water, or you can buy the already diluted version. As others have said, you should never run it with just water in, for many reasons, including rust.

Good luck and hope no damage picked up ...

Suzi Blue , 2008 Nocturne Blue Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6

Dobinson's 40mm suspension, Wizerd rock sliders, radiator, sump and diff plates
    Frontrunner RoofRack, NL 2nd Battery Box, Llumar sun protection
    16" Hyundai Tucson rims, 235/70R16 General Grabber AT3 tyres

Just got back from a holiday about 3000km done no issues a day later on a quick drive to the shop the temp gauge started jumping up a little.
    I checked the fluid and its dropped below min.

Looked underneath and found a slow drip from the cross member not quite sure where the original source is.

I live 100km away from the dealer, this is going to be a tense drive

constantly monitor gauge and top up with water.
    better than nothing
    or flat bed
    Last edited by jadranko; 2018/05/11 at 10:13 AM.

Just got back from a holiday about 3000km done no issues a day later on a quick drive to the shop the temp gauge started jumping up a little.
    I checked the fluid and its dropped below min.

Looked underneath and found a slow drip from the cross member not quite sure where the original source is.

I live 100km away from the dealer, this is going to be a tense drive
    You sure it is not condensate from the aircon?
    Sent from my iPhone

I think i am just going to go flatbed route depending on the cost

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    You sure it is not condensate from the aircon?
    Its dripping in a different place but also pink in colour

They said they pressure tested it for an extended period of time hot and cold no loss of pressure, fan switch tested, radiator cap also pressure tested.
    Temp monitored while left to idle for extended period.

They are going to replace the thermostat just in case it is involved somehow.

If it was sticking when it spiked then opened up into the cold side my understanding is that the increase in pressure could result in the coolant ending up in the expansion tank? , could it then vent out of there too ?

Hopefully it is the end of it now, really don't want a car that goes through coolant

They said they pressure tested it for an extended period of time hot and cold no loss of pressure, fan switch tested, radiator cap also pressure tested.
    Temp monitored while left to idle for extended period.

They are going to replace the thermostat just in case it is involved somehow.

If it was sticking when it spiked then opened up into the cold side my understanding is that the increase in pressure could result in the coolant ending up in the expansion tank? , could it then vent out of there too ?

Hopefully it is the end of it now, really don't want a car that goes through coolant
    My GV's block just cracked, had it at the dealer for recall on a gear shift shaft, and just out of curiosity ask to check for possible leakage at the prone area.Well they want to change me R83000 for the overall of which R49000 is only for the block. I'm taking it somewhere else tomorrow for a second opinion on the repair, In the mean time I await response from Suzuki SA on this matter , as my other problem is according to the dealer that is, if you service your GV yourself it voids the Goodwill gesture.This really sucks.

Year model and mileage please?
    "Grent" Vitara
    EX- EL JIMBO - RED AND "FAST" 8)

pre 2010(or earlier,not sure here) GV had a problem with blocks.
    someone will answer that better than me.if yours is one of those
    suzuki shall come to the party as that was a known issue.

wish you luck.

Quote Originally Posted by New View Post
    Year model and mileage please?
    My GV is a 2008, 2.4 manual with 128558 km's on the clock!

Unfortunately you have one of the first 2.4 blocks which cracked. Suzuki should replace regardless of self service!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast