Your top multi day 4x4 routes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Your top multi day 4x4 routes

Would love some input for you guys.

What are your top picks in Southern Africa of top 4x4 multi day trails. Especially tough track type routes and not touring routes. I have done many touring/overlanding routes, but looking for some more challenging stuff. I have tackled a few trails, but mostly they are loops around a campsite, would prefer routes that take you to different campsites each day.

Thanks a mil!
    2014 Pajero Sport 2.5 4x4 - Current wheels
    2003 D/C Colt 3.0 V6 4x4 - Sold to Dad
    2003 Club Cab 2.8Tdi 4x4 - Write off

I would rather push my Jap crap than drive a Landy.

Mitsubishi mad!!

Next addition to family- Shorty Paj!

Default Re: Your top multi day 4x4 routes

I believe that the trail I am working on at Klein Pella can be combined with Dinkys Dunes ( https://www.safarinow.com/destinatio...dunes-4x4.aspx ) and Amam Dunes to form a 4-5 day trail with plenty of challenges.
    I have talked to Dinky , he does have a camp site with toilets and shower in the dunes. Klein pella has plenty of camping spots.
    Amam has problems with their boreholes and have closed their camp, but hte route is still open.
    Right next to Amam there is a farmer that has some dunes and an informal camp spot that could serve as stop over for Amam. I have not gone into details with him, but I believe that in the next year or so this could be a possible adition.
    Amam is also not far from "The Road to Hell" on the Namaqua route.

I am rambling a bit as there are a couple of separate routes/trails, but it is possible the combine these routes together into 4-5 day adventure with 3 or 4 camps and plenty of challenging 4x4.

Later in the year I will see if draw up a map of a Route through these and compile a list of all the neccessary contact details.
    Last edited by Bex; 2018/12/08 at 11:36 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bex For This Useful Post:

Thanks for your input @Bex

Looking forward to your new trail, please keep us updated.

I reckon there are a lot more members that can add value here. Hoping we see some interest for the thread.

Cheers

Mitsubishi mad!!

Hi Again,

Still find it hard to believe that there are no comments on this thread, surely there are some of you that have some input into the multi-day trails available?

Cheers

Mitsubishi mad!!

The Rust de Winter overnight Bundu trail is really one of my favorites.

Arrive Friday night and camp at the club campsite, then you stsrt around 9 on the Saturday morning, and spend all day on the trail, some really technical stuff along the way. The club guides provide lunch on route, as well as pap and sauce for the braai on Saturday night, and breakfast on Sunday.

The campsite on top of the mountain is really impressive. Sundays morning after breakfast you spend another few hours making your way back down to the start point. The route for Sunday depends on the skill level of the group, and ranges from mild to seriously wild. There are chicken runs for most of the really rough stuff on Sunday.

Definately worth a visit. But they require a minimum of 10 vehicles to run the trail.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RPiet For This Useful Post:

Hi
    I also prefer trips like this.
    I heard about a track along the Orange river starting west of Upington going towards the Rightersveld. Doable with a trailer.
    Think its a 2 or 3 day drive.

We tried to find an old route rear Polokwane a month ago. If completed it might be what you are looking for. 2 days drive.

In other countries
    I did a 3 day route in Lesotho and the 6 day dune trip in Namibia. Then there is the Kalahari parks in Botswana where you have to take water and all for the duration of your trip.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LRex For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RPiet View Post
    The Rust de Winter overnight Bundu trail is really one of my favorites.

Arrive Friday night and camp at the club campsite, then you stsrt around 9 on the Saturday morning, and spend all day on the trail, some really technical stuff along the way. The club guides provide lunch on route, as well as pap and sauce for the braai on Saturday night, and breakfast on Sunday.

The campsite on top of the mountain is really impressive. Sundays morning after breakfast you spend another few hours making your way back down to the start point. The route for Sunday depends on the skill level of the group and ranges from mild to seriously wild. There are chicken runs for most of the really rough stuff on Sunday.

Definitely worth a visit. But they require a minimum of 10 vehicles to run the trail.

Thanks for this!
    Yes, Rus de Winter is a special place. I do enjoy it. But I am looking for more routes with a point A to Point B style trip with some tough sections in between. There are a few like the "old Wagon Trail" in EC that I have stumbled upon.

But thanks for your input.

Chase

Mitsubishi mad!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chasito View Post
    Hi Again,

Still find it hard to believe that there are no comments on this thread, surely there are some of you that have some input into the multi-day trails available?

Cheers
    Maybe it is because the information you are looking for does not exist. Most of the current one day trails are starting to feel the pinch and are shutting down...

I have heard of only one such trail (with an overnight stay in the trail) in South Africa and that is Rust De Winter

We did a trail from Pella to Kamjab (part of the Namaqua Eco Route) but that is more defined as touring so is excluded by your definition)

Maybe you can look for trails that you can join, or do consecutively over a couple of days, do some research and share what you find. I for one would love to join..

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

LC76V8

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    Maybe it is because the information you are looking for does not exist. Most of the current one day trails are starting to feel the pinch and are shutting down...

I have heard of only one such trail (with an overnight stay in the trail) in South Africa and that is Rust De Winter

We did a trail from Pella to Kamjab (part of the Namaqua Eco Route) but that is more defined as touring so is excluded by your definition)

Maybe you can look for trails that you can join, or do consecutively over a couple of days, do some research and share what you find. I for one would love to join..
    This is the sad reality I am facing Hedgehog!

I feel like there is so much more to offer in the SA borders, but not a lot is known about them. To be honest, if I found a privately owned trail around the corner from me, to use as a weekend getaway, and the owners asked to keep it quiet for locals benefit... I would adhere to that too not to spoil my fun.

I have found some private places through contacts that have allowed me to use their property and hit some of their trails with them, but they have asked not to advertise this, as they do not want it known to the public. So I can understand the above point.

But just looking at some areas SAN parks have at their disposal, you would think they could benefit from opening certain trails to the public, even if it is limiting the number of vehicles on a track, just like they do with hikes and hikers such as otter trail- a 5 day hike, maximum people on track set to x, and only so many bookings sold in a year. (Try and get your self a space to do that hike in the next 2 years, I dare you!) - Imagine the revenue SANparks or the likes there of could benefit?

Then there are even places like Sappi forests, surely their firebreaks and powerline clearings offer some awesome tracks? Imagine if we could convince them to open these up for a small fee/permit for entry?

These are the type of tracks I am trying to find. Obviously speaking to locals is the best idea, but I don't have the time, nor money, to hit the road and pop into every little pub in every little dorpie to get in touch with locals.... Hoping this platform would be useful!

I know SA 4x4 magazine has shared a few of these multi-day tracks (you have to dig around in the archives) which has helped, and once I have hit a few of them then I will definately share with all of you here if I am allowed by property owners.

If there are any of you keen to recce some routes, maybe drop your name and area and potential route and lets see what we can put together?

RE: the Botswana Mgkadigkadi pans, CKNR, Delt, chobe and the similar in Namibia- yes these are top class touring/overlanding destinations which I love doing just as much, but itching to find some hard weekend tracks that really challenge us as 4x4 owners.

Thanks a mil!!

Mitsubishi mad!!

The Namib Naukluft Park 4x4 trail is a 2 day trail has some nice challenges.

Isabis 4x4 trail has 2 short trails that are relatively difficult (depends on the direction you do it). The camp spots are very isolated and if I remember correctly you are assured that you will not see any other person during your stay there.

There are some "unknown" routes throughout Namibia that can be very technical especially when rain is thrown into the mix. But for these its best to talk to the locals...

Quote Originally Posted by NoPressure View Post
    The Namib Naukluft Park 4x4 trail is a 2 day trail has some nice challenges.

Isabis 4x4 trail has 2 short trails that are relatively difficult (depends on the direction you do it). The camp spots are very isolated and if I remember correctly you are assured that you will not see any other person during your stay there.

There are some "unknown" routes throughout Namibia that can be very technical especially when rain is thrown into the mix. But for these its best to talk to the locals...
    Thanks NoPressure,

Did a quick read up on that trip and it does sound epic. Will definitely add to my Namibia folder for the next trip up there. Thank you!

P.S. Have you done the trail?

Mitsubishi mad!!

Also interested

@Chasito

This is exactly what I have been after as well. To do trips that are challenging and have the awesome views with the camping included to do with like minded people and if you damage a panel or scratch your vehicle so be it. Why own a 4wd kitted for the bush and to do challenges but expect it to look like a pavement crawler.

I totally agree with trying with Sanparks or Boskor in Tsitsikama to have access to their maintenance routes for a fee and in the same time keep these tracks clean for them. Kind of like the 4WD Action channel on YouTube.

I will try to see what I can find here in the Eastern cape and would be nice to join trips others on adventures. Looking forward to any further news on trails.

Quote Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
    @Chasito

This is exactly what I have been after as well. To do trips that are challenging and have the awesome views with the camping included to do with like minded people and if you damage a panel or scratch your vehicle so be it. Why own a 4wd kitted for the bush and to do challenges but expect it to look like a pavement crawler.

I totally agree with trying with Sanparks or Boskor in Tsitsikama to have access to their maintenance routes for a fee and in the same time keep these tracks clean for them. Kind of like the 4WD Action channel on YouTube.

I will try to see what I can find here in the Eastern cape and would be nice to join trips others on adventures. Looking forward to any further news on trails.

@Roughneck, shot for the post!
    I'm in the same mindset as you bud. I would rather enjoy the capability of my vehicle, which takes me to many beaut places that many haven't been to, rather than stress about the paint job and a panel. I bought it to use it!!

I'm an avid 4WD Action fan, and this is what I think we need to recreate in SA. The camping, 4x4 industry is not as large as it should be in SA and I believe it's to restrictions out of our power. But those of us that may have contacts to open up these type of trails, this would benefit the industry massively. I am currently working on a few, but having a full-time job doesn't make the process easy.

I dream of one day being able to explore this beautiful country and find some hidden tracks to share with all the guys that want to do it.

Everybody on here should keep us posted if any cool trails pop up.

Chase

Mitsubishi mad!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chasito View Post
    @Roughneck, shot for the post!
    I'm in the same mindset as you bud. I would rather enjoy the capability of my vehicle, which takes me to many beaut places that many haven't been to, rather than stress about the paint job and a panel. I bought it to use it!!

I'm an avid 4WD Action fan, and this is what I think we need to recreate in SA. The camping, 4x4 industry is not as large as it should be in SA and I believe it's to restrictions out of our power. But those of us that may have contacts to open up these type of trails, this would benefit the industry massively. I am currently working on a few, but having a full-time job doesn't make the process easy.

I dream of one day being able to explore this beautiful country and find some hidden tracks to share with all the guys that want to do it.

Everybody on here should keep us posted if any cool trails pop up.

Chase
    That would be awesome. I also don't miss an episode of 4WD action, I am always on awe of them and so jealous at what they have at their disposal wrt tracks and camping. Some of the best camping spots close to or on the beach.

I fully agree that this is not near exploited enough in RSA. There are wide open spaces in parts of our country that would be great for these type of trips.
    2015 Pajero Sport Shogun
    2012 Kia Cerato Hatch

Wild Coast Eco Trail in the eastern cape... Best of both worlds...technical with lots of river crossing and Overland/Touring gravel, mountain passes and ocean. Takes minimum 6 days...

Oh I didn't do the entire trail cause I thought it was going to be mostly overlanding and after loosing my read light, back bumper, deep paint scratches, bent bashplate and fuel tank... I QUIT AFTER 2 DAYS of eight hours driving per day with wife and 1 year old son. I was given a choice...if I want to stay married we should use the main road far inland and long and boring or stay on the trail and be served with divorce paper at the end of trail.

Well I am still married but I vowed to retain and concur this trail someday so

"Then there are even places like Sappi forests, surely their firebreaks and powerline clearings offer some awesome tracks? Imagine if we could convince them to open these up for a small fee/permit for entry? "

They will not do this, as an irresponsible fire can cause millions of Rand in damage...
    As has been mentioned the Naukluft Park 4X4 route will be a bit of a challenge,
    but I have also heard, that it has been closed, due to lack of maintenance,
    Which would provide further challenges.
    My wife's opinion of this trail, was that it is worse/tougher than van Zyl's Pass.
    Up along the west coast, there is also a nice track, that stays close to the sea,
    which can be done over a number of days, but is also possible to do in a single day...
    Last edited by haboob; 2019/02/27 at 11:29 AM.

If you're talking a trail suitable for both std and modified, roadworthy vehicles alike, I would definitely recommend Platbank 4x4, 30km north of Vaalwater, Limpopo.

It has a diverse, natural 4x4 terrain with sandy sections, Rocky River beds, mountain routes and solid rock river beds with many river crossings. Definitely my most favourite venue at this point in time. The camping section is really tranquil with awesome scenery.
    2008 JEEP RUBiCON
    3.5 LIFT with ADJUSTABLE FOX SHOCKS
    37" COOPER STT
    SPRINTEX SUPERCHARGER

Here is one of many videos I have done for Platbank :

https://youtu.be/p76WsNHCCQs
    2008 JEEP RUBiCON
    3.5 LIFT with ADJUSTABLE FOX SHOCKS
    37" COOPER STT
    SPRINTEX SUPERCHARGER